Favorite Maine Coon Color

What is your favorite Maine Coon color/pattern?

• Mackeral Tabby

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Solid White

• Solid Black

• Orange/Red

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Cream

• Silver

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Tabbies w/ White

• Gray-Smoke

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Tortoiseshells

• Brown

• Blue-Smoke

• Silver Tabby

• Other (share below...)

• Total voters

Rawr!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just curious what folks here like the most. Personally, my favorite is silver classic tabby and mackeral tabby.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very fond of the silvery colours also. Oliver's official colouring is 'Blue Silver Tabby and White' but he looks grey and white to me. Please don't tell him I ever look at other cat colours or breeds, he wouldn't be impressed.

FaBEAR

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mightyboosh has seen this pic already. I voted silver too... But Tiger here is orange & cream tabby though getting lighter in colour by the day it seems! He's my ginger cream biscuit. We took him to the vets - she said she would be 90% positive that he is a full Maine Coon due to his giant ears, giant paws, hair tufts between toes, ear lynx, personality, rapid growth since last weigh in, and loooooong body. I found him in a box.... he's such a dote, so happy he found me!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rawr!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds as though he lucked out by being found by a caring person. I'd be tempted to try and find out where the cat came from though. If you found one abandoned kitten, the person responsible probably abandons more.

Have you checked if there are any Maine Coon catteries in your area?

FaBEAR

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, maybe a handful in the whole country.. he came with a note saying they were very allergic. I'm trying to figure out his markings. He used to look more stripey but seems to be blending togethe now!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, maybe a handful in the whole country.. he came with a note saying they were very allergic. I'm trying to figure out his markings. He used to look more stripey but seems to be blending togethe now!
He does appear to be an actual Maine Coon. He's got all the right attributes.
It's possible that the original owner did in fact buy him but decided to give him up. The thing is, most contracts you sign with a breeder have a "right of first refusal" clause meaning, that if you are going to rehome the cat, you supposed to contact the breeder first to see if they will take the cat back.

Several years ago, we almost adopted a purebred Ragdoll. She was brought to our attention by a local rescue with a similar story to yours; family allergies the culprit. We saw her papers and I made note of the breeder to look up later. As it turned out, the cat was very poorly socialized and literally lunged at me sitting quietly on the couch. I wound up contacting the breeder, who is in my state, and facilitating getting the cat returned to them with help from the rescue rep and, someone here at TCS who was a great help in enlightening me. In the end, the cat did go back to the breeder, who I was in touch with. They rehabilitated the cat, and were able to find her an appropriate forever home.

Your kitty is beyond adorable and extremely handsome! Lucky you, lucky him!

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FaBEAR FaBEAR Aaah, seeing him again just reminds me how gorgeous he is. How is it possible for someone to leave a beautiful MC like him in a box? They could have sold him easily for a few hundred. Anyhow, your gain. have you told the full story of finding him?
When it comes to Maine Coons, the ideal colouring is just the icing on the cake for me. The features and size are the priority for me unlike other cat types where the colour could be the sole reason for choosing.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
PS I didn't do the poll because I love every color of Maine Coon!
For me, it is more about how their features look - having the correct size/shape muzzle for example.

FaBEAR

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
FaBEAR FaBEAR Aaah, seeing him again just reminds me how gorgeous he is. How is it possible for someone to leave a beautiful MC like him in a box? They could have sold him easily for a few hundred. Anyhow, your gain. have you told the full story of finding him?
When it comes to Maine Coons, the ideal colouring is just the icing on the cake for me. The features and size are the priority for me unlike other cat types where the colour could be the sole reason for choosing.
How big is the guy in your profile? He looks to be huuuge and gorgeous! I found him in a box with a towel and some food, vaccine cert (most info torn off) and a note saying 'my young son is very allergic, please give good home'. The box was secure with breathing holes punched into it. It was a laneway near my office that is quiet but in a busy area so he would have been found quickly if not by me. I was walking to the shops and I always choose one of two routes and thankfully I chose that route that day. It's a somewhat affluent area so maybe money wasn't needed but who knows what goes through people's minds!

For me it's not colour - 100% personality!

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right, I'm going to scour all the lanes in the area in the hope of finding a box with a similar treasure inside. I may be some time I reckon. What a story to tell Tiger when he grows up. I showed the pic of Tiger to my Mrs and she can't believe how lucky you were and gave him mucho praise for his severe case of cuteness.
I can't wait to see him grow and mature into a majestic MC.
Oliver is only about 22lbs but with no fat to speak of. If I remember correctly, he's about 41/42 inches noes to tail. He's quite a big lad but has a fair way to go to match @1CatOverTheLine 's i̶n̶f̶a̶m̶o̶u̶s̶ famous Bob. Oliver is Bob's 'Grasshopper' and has a lot to learn from the master.
Apologies R Rawr! I seemed to have :hijack: a bit but it is Maine Coon talk after all.

Here's another of His Royal Bigness.

IMG_0981 (2).JPG

Last edited:

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mightyboosh has seen this pic already. I voted silver too... But Tiger here is orange & cream tabby though getting lighter in colour by the day it seems! He's my ginger cream biscuit. We took him to the vets - she said she would be 90% positive that he is a full Maine Coon due to his giant ears, giant paws, hair tufts between toes, ear lynx, personality, rapid growth since last weigh in, and loooooong body. I found him in a box.... he's such a dote, so happy he found me!

I am TOTALLY Available to babysit! I mean...I'll even fly over it's totally no big deal hehe :cloud9::heartshape::salam:

FaBEAR

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Right, I'm going to scour all the lanes in the area in the hope of finding a box with a similar treasure inside. I may be some time I reckon. What a story to tell Tiger when he grows up. I showed the pic of Tiger to my Mrs and she can't believe how lucky you were and gave him mucho praise for his severe case of cuteness.
I can't wait to see him grow and mature into a majestic MC.
Oliver is only about 22lbs but with no fat to speak of. If I remember correctly, he's about 41/42 inches noes to tail. He's quite a big lad but has a fair way to go to match @1CatOverTheLine 's i̶n̶f̶a̶m̶o̶u̶s̶ famous Bob. Oliver is Bob's 'Grasshopper' and has a lot to learn from the master.
Apologies R Rawr! I seemed to have :hijack: a bit but it is Maine Coon talk after all.

Here's another of His Royal Bigness.

View attachment 244514
Wow 22lbs. He looks so big. Tigers only 4lbs at 13 weeks now so we have a long way to go. How old is the big fella? I really am lucky to find him. Live in Ireland and I've never seen a maine coon in real life. I guess they're usually indoor cats though!