Fatty Liver/ Pancreatitis

HeatherG86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys. I have posted a few times in here over the week or so and have been directed to other forums for specific issues my cat is going through.
Here is a brief run down.

Sera is 12 and was diagnosed with severe asthma. She is on Flovent and a oral steroid and is now finally improving with her breathing.

Ontop of that she has feline diabetes. Of which I have been talking to other cat owners on another forum. So far her numbers are slowly stablizing. With a few spikes here and there in her BG levels

Lastly on Tuesday with the advice of my vet she was put on a feeding tube as she was refusing to eat and becoming lethargic. Upon putting in her tube he noticed she looked slightly Jaundice in her mouth. He had some xrays done after the tube was put in and relooked over her organs and everything looked fine minus her asthma inflamed lungs. He also retested all her levels and said everything looked ok. BUT her liver levels looked elevated. Not by much but enough to cause concern. He ran additional testing for pancreatitis/fatty liver disease and it came up inconclusive.

He speculates by her symptoms she could very well have fatty liver/pancreatitis but we caught it early. Hes confident she will fully recover but it may take weeks...but I have my concerns

My question is for those who have been through this. What did you experience with your cat? Like severity of symptoms and so forth. Length of recovery and so forth

So far Sera is keeping her feedings down every day. She is getting 60 ccs twice a day of A/D wet food. Along with her Lantus (insulin) Flovent (inhaler) oral steroid, and Doxycylcine antibiotic.

Sera seems incredibly lethargic , rarely getting up and moving around. It almost seems like it hurts her to pick her up and she whines when moved to her cat bed. Im feeling pretty lost and frustrated and I haven't been able to find many pet owner blogs about their cats recovery process. Help and advice needed

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a cat that survived Fatty Liver. It is a long slow recovery and getting enough calories in daily is the key to recovery. Pain usually isn't part of it but it is part of pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is very painful. I would ask your vet about something for pain.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll pray for you both, I agree getting the food into her now is of the upmost importance. Follow your vet's advise, and just give her lots of love and attention. Livers do heal, it takes a few months. All the LUCK!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HeatherG86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that survived Fatty Liver. It is a long slow recovery and getting enough calories in daily is the key to recovery. Pain usually isn't part of it but it is part of pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is very painful. I would ask your vet about something for pain.
Did yours go through extreme lethargy? Shes so tired and doesnt get up. It makes me so sad. Many nights crying. Im so thankful I am on graveyard and my husband on days so she has someone with her most of the time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HeatherG86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll pray for you both, I agree getting the food into her now is of the upmost importance. Follow your vet's advise, and just give her lots of love and attention. Livers do heal, it takes a few months. All the LUCK!
Thank you for the kind supportive words. Its so hard right now. Even harder when I am at work. I feel like a worried mother who cant be away from her baby

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am an RN and I can tell you that lethargy is one of the main symptoms in humans, so I'm sure it is too in cats. Hopefully as she continues to heal, her energy will go up. If no improvement at all, I would certainly make sure your vet is aware of it. But these things take time.....