Fatty Liver Disease

Fruithat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has recently been diagnosed with fatty liver disease yesterday I am force feeding him and he keeps it down and is easy to deal with as always. He is attentive wants to be held goes to watch birds but isnt eating and isnt peeing even though he was given IV fluids. What are good signs to look for what are bad signs to look for since yesterday his situation hasn't changed a lot also he has jaundice due to mot drinking

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The jaundice is due to the liver issue, not due to not drinking enough - if you're syringing diluted food or a liquid formula into him he will almost certainly be getting enough fluids (my Radar drank nothing while he was on liquid feed via a feeding tube).

You can check his hydration by gently pulling up the skin on the scruff of his neck and letting it go - it should go right back down, if it is slow going back down to his neck then that is a sign of dehydration - but if he was seriously dehydrated they would likely have kept him in on IV fluids until that was sorted out.

The best treatment is to get food into him, best of luck and love to you and your cat :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fruithat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did your radar make it through this my cat Grey is lethargic and not eating and is kinda yellowish but he moves around some and watches birds as well as wanting to be held. He takes the syringe feeding well and almost seems to like it. I have also heard that if he makes it the next 4 days with this treatment his chances of survival sky rocket is this true

ineedhelpnow

I love FURBABIES!
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going through something similar with my cat right now. Make sure he's getting enough food to maintain or increase his weight (if he has lost any.) Multiply his body weight in pounds by 20 and he should be getting at least that many calories every day, and ideally more. Most labels on cat food have that info. If he has lost weight after you started syringe feeding, that is a bad sign and it means he's not eating enough. Also, it's a bad sign if he's still lethargic even after feeding. It might mean he's not getting enough water, depending on his weight, he should be getting at least 2-4 ounces of water every day. You can syringe feed him water as well, or depending on which is easier you could dilute his food as well, or do both. Do you know how many days he went without eating, and how many days since you started feeding him? His age, prior conditions, normal weight/size estimates before he got sick would also be useful info. Older cats might have a different experience than mine right now.

Best of luck, and I hope he gets better! :)

Fruithat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well he may have gone maybe a week or so without water or maybe even water. Since starting his treatment yesterday he is still lethargic and he is getting water thanks ti the vet.

ineedhelpnow

I love FURBABIES!
Young Cat
Purraise
Well he may have gone maybe a week or so without water or maybe even water. Since starting his treatment yesterday he is still lethargic and he is getting water thanks ti the vet.
I would contact the vet and ask about the lethargy. It's very possible he's either not getting enough food or water. I would also try giving him water myself if you think he's not drinking enough, your vet will know if that's the case. Do you know how old the cat is?

Here is some valuable information to know if your cat is dehydrated:
How Much Water Should a Cat Drink? | Catster

Fruithat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes he has been dehydrated and is being giving fluid via IV today is his second day with this diagnosis the vet said it looked like we may have caught the disease late but from what she sees if it were her cat she would still continue what we are doing saying his condition is fair. He sits around a lot but he is perky and takes his meds. I hope to see changes I'm the next few days but he isnt eating