Fatty Liver Disease - What does early recovery look like?

harhardf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. My 7 year old tabby has been diagnosed with fatty liver after a move to a new house that seemed to stress her too much. She spent 9 days in the hospital but was not eating enough so had a feeding tube placed on day 6. I took her home on Day 9 and have been nursing her since. She visits the vet twice a week for a review. My question is what does recovery look like for a cat with this? (I know the goal is that she eats on her own, but we are weeks away from that). What is the day to day? What do small steps look like? She is pretty lethargic but does get up to use the box, and move a bit. Yesterday she even left the room and went down the stairs. But I would love to hear some first hand experiences with what recovery looks like in the early days. Right now she just lays near me and either sleeps, watches me, or watches birds on Youtube.

She gets fed 10ml every 4 hours (started with 30ml every 6 hours but it was too much and she was getting really nauseous so we dialed it back). She is also on a high calorie vitamin paste, 2 liver protectors, gallbladder treatment, gastric protector and anti-vomit solution. I space them out over the day and spend all day with her. Her recovery suite is my office so we hang out all day.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
fatty liver
What was your experience helping your cat recover from fatty liver disease?
How does cat act during treatment of fatty liver?
Cat’s Liver Disease

The above threads discuss members experience with fatty liver disease. Remember that these are pertinent to their cats and that your cat can certainly get better. For one thing, you have already placed a feeding tube and seem to be very much monitoring her progress closely. I have not had a cat with this condition, but it sounds as if your cat is making strides in her recovery and is not older, both of which are good signs.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The fact that she felt up to handling the stairs is excellent. It is going to be those little things that tell you she's slowly recovering. Becoming a little more alert. Sleeping a little less. Playing just a little bit. They are baby steps, and can be overlooked as we worry. Hang in there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

harhardf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your replies! Unfortunately she just threw up a bit of her dinner. I think the last feeding was too much. Going to give her a longer break and try with a much smaller amount. I am hoping this is only a small step backward and not indicative of a bigger trend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

harhardf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Question to anyone and everyone. I think the tube has clogged since last night. I see people posting about putting Coca Cola down the tube but animals cannot have caffeine, so how does this work exactly without doing harm to the animal? I tried warm water but its not going down and i cannot push too hard because i will cause her to vomit. Any other ideas? Or just take her back to the vet and let them clean it out?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I would refer any tube issue to the vet. Let them handle it or tell you what to do. If they recommend Coca Cola, clarify the fact that it is considered controversial. You have gone this far with your cat, so I would not try a home remedy. If water did not work, that would be the sign for me to call the vet.