Fattening up a kitten

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had a problem with Punkin when we brought him home from the shelter. He was a fussy eater, and I don't think he ate much at the shelter. It took a while to find a food he liked. I had a bushel basket full of bags of food we had tried and rejected.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LawGuy

Where did you find the Lysine Plus soft chews? I called the vet that Ally goes to and the vet that Ollie goes to (I assume in a couple of weeks I'll have them both at the same vet). They each had a different Lysine product. One was a gel and the other a paste and they both had different additional ingredients and were pretty pricey too (which isn't too much of a problem, I just don't want to buy it and have it be a total waste by her not taking it). I didn't know anything about either product. I'd rather try something somebody else has had success with. Any idea where I can find them locally? Also, are they safe for kittens? I went to Walmart and found 500 mg pills that I could crush up, but I didn't know what the safe and proper dosage would be for Ally.
I ordered the Lysine soft chews from the website 'Entirely Pets'. They are safe for kittens, the package has a kitten dosage on it.

The lysine I used before I found the soft chews was lysine capsules for humans. With capsules you don't have to crush it, you just open the capsules and dump out the powder. When I started it with Church he was 6-7 weeks old and weighed 20 oz. and my vet told me to use about 1/8th to 1/4th of a capsule twice a day. The capsules were 500mg which my vet said is the dose for an adult cat (2x a day.) She also recommended colostrum (to boost the immune system) which I also found in capsule form at a health food store and she told me to give the same dosage as the lysine.

zephyer78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi..wonder what it is about shelter cats and food issues? My Autumn was super skinny when I brought her home as well. IDK if she was not eating of if her brother who was also in hte cage was eating everthing. Any way, when she 1st cam ehome she didn't eat to much and drank a WOLE lot also, I figured it was the anethiesa(sp?) wearing off. But after a few days she started eating normaly. I fed her dry plus also wet food and tuna to get her weight up. Hope your little guy starts eating better.