Fat Pouch/primordial Pouch Has Become Hard/firm

Kori

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I have multiple cats, and my eldest, who’s approximately 8 (he was a stray when we got him so not sure exactly how old he is) is absolutely fine in himself. However, his fat pouch seems to be hanging lower than it used to, and isn’t a thin squishy consistency like it used to be. It’s now quite firm, not solid by any means, but definitely a different consistency. It’s unlike any of my other cats and I’m panicking.

Due to financial difficulty, I’ve only just taken our insurance for all of my babies, but regardless of that, none of them ever go without vet visits or treatment. I’m just concerned and I wonder if anyone else has experience of this, or if I should just continue being an overly anxious mum and rush my boy to the vets.

*** I only noticed this yesterday morning***

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea on this, maybe someone else will? I have one girl with a good size primordial pouch, she is my skinny girl. I have never noticed hers to change. Has he gained weight recently?

If it has changed quite a bit, in a short time only thing i can suggest is a vet visit. Hopefully nothing wrong, but i always worry too, and with our older cats especially we want to keep on top of things.

Do keep us updated on him.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Is he eating more and exercising less? I would only worry about this if he's having other symptoms that are related to weight gain.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also suspect he may have gained a bit of weight. My senior has the most prominent "saggy" primordial pouch of any cat I've owned. Between 8 years and 12 years, he slowly gained weight before I put him on a diet. His pouch did get fatty along with the rest of him.

Do you weigh your kitties regularly to see if anyone is gaining/losing weight over time? I learned my lesson with Tangent. When you see them every day they look "the same" day-to-day...so weight gain or loss creeps up slowly.

Now I weigh the kitties at least twice a month and adjust their calories when needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kori

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for all your answers.

All 6 cat pouches were always squishy feeling, you can grab a full handful but when you roll it between your fingers, it becomes clear how soft and thin the layer actually is, but with Sausages, when you roll it between your fingers, is far thicker and firmer?

I’ve never really weighed them, but al 6 are indoor cats since loosing one of my babes several years ago. They are all spayed and neutered, and are all on a special urinary diet due to Sausage having infections a couple of years ago (no issues since). My partner wants to observe him for a couple of weeks, as unfortunately, Sausage gets travel sick and tends to vomit and poo himself during journeys, but I’m terrified to lose another baby, and the thought that I could be putting him at risk is actually making me feel unwell.

He’s still eating, weeing, pooing, playing, cuddling as normal. I’ve been quite rough with his pouch when I’ve checked it and he’s oerfectly content, no signs of pain, so I know if it is something it’s jot serious right now... do you think I should avoid stressing my boy out and just keep a very vigilant eye on him for now? Or deal with the carrier carnage and take him to the vets? Xxx

Kori

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
*losing
Sorry for the poor typing, my phone is not auto correcting well here for some reason!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't sound like any emergency. You could call your vet and ask what his weight was at his last office visit, then weigh him and see if maybe he has gained a pound or more.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I would not take him to the vet just for a weight check. You can buy a baby scale. I stepped on a digital scale twice -first alone and then with the cat - when she had to be weighed at home.

Kori

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would not take him to the vet just for a weight check. You can buy a baby scale. I stepped on a digital scale twice -first alone and then with the cat - when she had to be weighed at home.
I personally try to avoid scales where I’m involved! Lol! But that’s a really good idea, thank you xxx

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would watch him close. I am not a vet, but i am guessing it is from weight gain. As long as this is the only thing you are seeing i would worry, just bring it up at his next wellness check. If it gets worse, or anything else develops then take him in.

I am sorry about the loss of your other kitty. It hurts, and it does make us more careful with our other cats i think! :heartshape:

Erinlinkcappy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat had this ( it was a good ten years ago so hard to remember the details) but it basically ended being calcified fat / benign fatty tumour. Vet said it was harmless.

He ended up getting lung cancer which they thought was a secondary cancer a few years later and we always wondered whether maybe there was more to the lump but that is speculation.