Fat percentage?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok, I've been trying to reasearch cat foods, so that I can feed the best I can afford to my kitties. I currently feed Chicken Soup, which, IMO, is extremely well-priced for being one of the "natural" foods. However, during my research, I noticed that the Chicken Soup is a bit high in the fat percentage as compared to others, at 20% for adult formula, 22% for kitten. Protein, moisture and fiber are all comparable, and the first 3 ingredients are meat: Chicken, salmon and chicken meal, plus NO corn derived ingredients and it has chicory root, a prebiotic. Should I be worried about the fat? I'm also very impressed with the ingredient list and analysis of Natural Balance, as 4 of the first 5 ingresdients are meat and also no corn, and the fiber & fat are lower then Chicken Soup, but I have a feeling that that is WAAAAY more expensive than Chicken Soup
Thoughts?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If your cats are proper wt then the fat is good... I like a higher fat in cat food as fat and protein are easier for kitty to digest... Remeber in the wild cats fiber is minimal at best ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

If your cats are proper wt then the fat is good... I like a higher fat in cat food as fat and protein are easier for kitty to digest... Remeber in the wild cats fiber is minimal at best ...
Right! Ok, I'd actually prefer my kitties to be a little on the heavier side to be honest, so when (if?) they get sick, that's that much more for them to sustain themselves. Fat and happy is my goal!! just not toooo fat
I think I'm going to stop looking for a better food, because, to be totally honest, I really don't think I'm going find one at a comparable price. All the kitties like it too, which is a plus
Next is wet food......

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You wont ... If I ever get another dry food eater I will likely try chicken soup again... for now my cat gets feed free via on of my jobs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

You wont ... If I ever get another dry food eater I will likely try chicken soup again... for now my cat gets feed free via on of my jobs
can't get a better price than that!!!

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
20% fat and more is fabulous unless you have fat cats. Fipt cats should have no problems with that amount of fat as long as you make sure they don't over eat. The coat and skin benefit of fat!

I don't mind feeding food as fat as 25-30% and I don't have any fat cats.

Catfood should be:
- High in protein
- Moderate in fat
- Low in carbs

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i feed the chicken soup dry, & it's about 2/3 to 1/2 as expensive as natural balance. mine prefer it, as well!