Fat Cat Or Growing Boy?

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 2 kittens less than a year old, with very different body types and activity levels. I know they are still doing some growing, but I'm somewhat concerned that one (orange, Funky) is becoming a chunker. He has a pouch, eats more, and is less active. He only has one eye and his "brother" is a super hunter, so he tends to hang back during play. The other kitten (gray, Simon) eats like a bird, is considerably more svelte, and high prey drive. Both play and chase with each other.

IMG_20190207_183955.jpg IMG_20190207_184308.jpg
IMG_20190207_183921.jpg
IMG_20190207_183903.jpg
IMG_20190207_183930.jpg

They get 1/4 of a 5.5oz can of Friskies pate 2x a day (Simon won't eat more than that, and Funky finishes it fit him) and roughly 1 cup of Science Diet dry. On occasion I'll boil chicken as a treat, a bite of hard cheese here and there, and Temptations sparingly. I'd like to try better foods but Simon can be very picky. Funky did spend the first months of his life in a shelter, so he could be a little flabby. I don't think he's overweight *yet* but I'd like to get into good habits. Simon is a deceiving 9lbs, and Funky was last weighed a few months ago around 10lbs (Simon was 5lbs then), so my guess is he may have put on a little more since then.

Can anyone tell me if he's getting fat or is on track for his development? Any tips to keep him in shape?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I'm glad to hear about your new furkids!

This chart is for adult cats, and I realize yours aren't there yet :) but this way you'll have an idea of what to expect;
https://www.petmd.com/sites/default/files/nestle_purina_cat_body_condition_chart_crop.jpg

Is there anything here below that might help for activity?

7 Proven Ways To Get Your Cat To Be More Active

How To Choose The Best Toy For Your Cat

19 Best Interactive Cat Toys: Your Ultimate List (2019) | Heavy.com

Home - the Ripple Rug

Food Puzzles for Cats

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Diana Faye

Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel like Funky (short for Garfunkel) looks like a 7 from the side but a 5 (maybe 6) from the top. Simon looks like a 5 from the side but a 3 from the top. Funky looks like a cat more than a kitten. I feel like for kittens I'm not giving enough food (at least for Simon) but he's flubby and the skinny one is gaining weight. It's kind of hard for me to tell and comparing the two isn't really much help either.

I've seem some of those articles. I am debating a puzzle feeder to at least slow the grazing and add interest, but I'm not sure what would be best. Funky is very curious but mostly lays and swats while Simon does flips. Simon likes to steal the wand and not want to give it up, so playtime is a challenge. I think having impaired depth perception may play a part in it. He's interested but can't really zero in, and he's smart enough to know that he can wait for the other one to "kill" and just reap the benefits later. He likes noisy things, and waiting for the right time to pounce, but then the other cat is a tiny cheetah that will go after anything that moves.

I did have a treat ball (that was promptly destroyed), but Simon would chase it down and Funky would follow to pick up the rest. I'd love to put up cat shelves but I'm not sure how to make that work with the layout of my house. They do have a modest tree and help themselves to all kinds of furniture, whether I want them there or not. I wanted to leash train, but he's developed a sudden fear of strangers, so I'm not sure how that will work. It seems like my best bet, to get him really walking.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think having impaired depth perception may play a part in it. He's interested but can't really zero in, and he's smart enough to know that he can wait for the other one to "kill" and just reap the benefits later.
noisy toys? Is crinkly noise enough?
hmmm I'm looking at katsnus for toys...maybe you'd find something there? They have squeaky mouse toys...they have light-up balls with squeaks too; Rubber LED Light-up Spike Ball Pet Dog Cat Toy - 3pk with Squeak

What about playing so that Simon is distracted with something, so that Funky can then have a chance with something that's just for him?

Diana Faye

Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a crinkle tunnel that he loves, and these rattle balls with feathers. He also loves tearing apart cardboard and apparently eating sticks/ bark. I had 2 wands at one point that I'd use simultaneously (they killed the other one). It was better than one but Simon will actually catch one teaser, hold it in his mouth, and launch for the other one. He even uses his butt to ensure it can't escape. And then the challenge is to pretend to be a "bird" with one hand and a "mouse" with the other to match their styles, and they're both looking all over. If Simon is sleeping in another room and hears activity, he comes running. He doesn't like to be away from either of us, unless it's for a nap. The only quality time I've really had with Funky is when Simon went to get neutered.

They do like the laser pointer. Funky comes running when I jingle it, and they will follow it all over. It can be a little hard to keep it in Funky's line of sight, but they enjoy it. Honestly the hardest part is that they wear me out faster than they do. I don't think I've ever worn them out.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
What toys have you tried playing with him? My 3 cats play totally different.

Diana Faye

Adult Cat
Purraise
The pouch doesn't mean much, especially at this age. I would worry about it when he's grown. Tommy and Yue grew up together and he ends up at 13 lbs while she is about 9.5 lbs.
He might be building up to be a big guy, but not a chonker.
I think Simon will always be little. Honestly I'm surprised he's grown as much as he has, and the vet tech was surprised that he even weighs as much as he does. I'm not into body shaming, so I'll love Funky even if he ends up chubby, but I feel like it'd be a loosing battle if I had to get him to loose weight. Trying to focus on maintaining a healthy range and trying to teach him to play. At least they work each other out.

My old man that passed away had a pouch, but only when he got older. He was a big guy, and was in a healthy range even with the old man sag. It was more of a skin flap vs chunk, like Funky has. He is decidedly pear shaped while sitting lol.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a crinkle tunnel that he loves
The bubba sometimes has fits with this one
He's the only cat that plays with it.
Most of the cats wake up from a dead sleep when they hear the laser pointer.
I think Wellness gave us our crinkle balls in a gift basket Tommy won. I wish I knew what they were. Yue loves them.

Have you tried a Cat Dancer?

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My old man that passed away had a pouch, but only when he got older.
Tom has done the same thing. He was 21 lbs, and then down to 12, and we try to keep him as close to 13 as we can, but the pouch didn't start swinging until he turned 9 years.

Diana Faye

Adult Cat
Purraise
What toys have you tried playing with him? My 3 cats play totally different.
Crinkle tunnel, jingle balls (Simon's favorite), teaser wand with ribbon, kong squirrel (Funky likes that one), crinkle balls, kicker toy (neither cared for it), felt mice (neither care for those), rattle balls with feathers (Funky likes those), round ball track with blinky ball, laser pointer, cardboard boxes, oak leaves, and oak sticks (sparingly). They have a mid size cat tree with sisal posts. Cardboard scratcher was more of a chewer, so I nixed that. Some fuzzy gloves and socks have also become toys.

Simon likes to stalk, chase, leap. Funky is more apt to bat his favorite toys around and chew than he is to "hunt." He's more opportunistic than stealthy. Think lion vs cheetah.

Diana Faye

Adult Cat
Purraise
The bubba sometimes has fits with this one
He's the only cat that plays with it.
Most of the cats wake up from a dead sleep when they hear the laser pointer.
I think Wellness gave us our crinkle balls in a gift basket Tommy won. I wish I knew what they were. Yue loves them.

Have you tried a Cat Dancer?
No, I don't think I know what that is.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The pouch doesn't mean much, especially at this age. I would worry about it when he's grown. Tommy and Yue grew up together and he ends up at 13 lbs while she is about 9.5 lbs.
He might be building up to be a big guy, but not a chonker.
"HEFTY CHONK"
"MEGA CHONKER"
"OH LAWD HE COMIN"

If this chart is the last thing I ever see in my life I will die a happy man :flail:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Maggie loves wand toys that I play with on the ground,not air. I move it fast and slow on the floor then slowly drag it up then she jumps high or Maggie chases it on the ground. One of the toys has a mouse on the end so she can grab it.. Peaches likes it when I throw things. Coco will play with anything. Mostly wand toys in the air

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"HEFTY CHONK"
"MEGA CHONKER"
"OH LAWD HE COMIN"

If this chart is the last thing I ever see in my life I will die a happy man :flail:
The bub was a Heftychonk and moving up to Megachonker, but now he's A Fine Boi and still feels like 20 lbs of destruction.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
This makes me feel better because MY DEXTER LOOKS JUST LIKE YOUR FUNKY. He had a pooch from being neutered and his little tummy is so round. I was convinced he had something wrong with him but I see now that it is just a body type.

Chonkers unite!! #ohlawdhecomin