Farting???

sumaii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it normal for cats to be farting??

My 9 month old kitten, Amadeus farts a lot ( ha ha ha ) and I am not sure if its normal or if it is something I should be concerned about.

He eats "Solid Gold" which is the only dry food he likes. We also give him some canned food, and on days when he doesn't get canned food he likes to munch on chicken hearts (which he loves).

Thanks

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
are you feeding the purple bag or the gold bag of solid gold?

most likely it is something he is eating... yes it is normal for animals to pass gas but not alot

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sumaii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its the purple bag which is the only one they have at the store.

He doesn't fart excessively but to me he is farting more then a normal cat should be farts (although I have never experienced any other farting cats).

I figured it was something he was eating.....

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Each cat is different of course and some may be gassier than others. If you don't want to change foods (though you might think about trying a food with different ingredients) try adding a little probiotic to his diet every day.

Fortiflora (made by purina), probios, or benebac are all good choices. I use the probios that comes in a large "plunge" tube labeled for large animals. Just a pea sized drop a day, when needed, is how I use it.

First though, you might want to consult your vet, as there might be something else going on with your kitten that we wouldn't think of.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would talk with the vet about maybe the probiotics ... But also look into a food with less grains... the Solid gold has five or six if memory serves ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sumaii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I'll look into the probiotics.

Solid gold is actually the only food he'll eat we tried him on Innvo Evo, he wouldn't touch that. He was eating Iams during the time we fostered him.

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, this sounds familiar! First, bring a stool sample to the vet. Coccidia (protazoa that worming meds don't treat) can cause excess gas. If it's not that, talk to the vet about which probiotic they recommend. My vet (and I) like Benebac. Either get the big tubes from the vet or see if you can find them at a farm store. It's much cheaper per dose than the tiny tubes in pet stores.

If this is an ongoing thing, you'll probably want to switch foods. Lily had much less gas on simple foods with few ingredients. High-ingredient foods like Felidae just made her more gassy, sometimes to the point it made her bloated and feel ill. She did great on the California Natural chicken formula for several years, and is now on Natural Balance duck and pea for allergy issues and also does well with that.