Farmina Cat/kitten Food

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've fed Farmina before. It wasn't a favorite in my household but it was eaten. The ingredient list looked pretty good from what I can remember. The problem with most dry foods is that they ave to have a binder. Farmina uses potato which isn't my favorite one out there but really none of them are that good of an option. Wet diets don't have as many fillers/binders so they tend to be a little better if you can do it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Little Chappers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They do get wet food - generally one of the First Mate flavours - it’s a nice meaty pate and they all love it. They get the wet at set times and are free fed a kibble. I’m looking for a better quality kibble because when we got the new kitten, he came with a bag of Royal Canin spay & neuter. Once he settled in I started to change the food to the Farmina, but I notice by the end of the bowl the RC has been picked out and there was a lot of Farmina left. What are the best kibbles for cats?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used Farmina. my guys like all of their foods, but especially the pumpkin line, they really love the venison and apple, which is odd because mine do not normally like venison :dunno: the only place i have found the pumpkin line is on the Farmina website, i do order from there occasionally. no problems.

I normally feed Dr. Elseys for kibble, i get it from chewy. Its my all around favorite dry food for my guys, Farmina would be my 2nd. Its expensive, but very high calorie and protein, very low carb. i also feed wet twice a day, and keep this dry out for them to munch on. They all like it, but no one sees to over eat on it, so a bag last a long time. They also have the smaller 2 lb bags so you can try.

I have used Royal Canin kibble in the past, i dont think its as bad as some say, but just my opinion. I will say all cats seem to love RC, so if your guys has access to it he may not be willing to switch to anything else you want to feed him? If i have a sick cat, one that just does not want to eat, i will still pick up a small bag of a Royal Canin dry, as it will normally entice most cats to eat. Royal canin or purina naturals, cats seem to love it. My cats would overeat on these foods, and since i free feed i dont want that, my boys would get way fat! :rolleyes: Dr Elseys works for us. And with 4 its hard to portion control. If you only have one you could just put out a specific amount for the day.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've never used Farmina. I do feed some dry and use Tiki's Born Carnivore Chicken which is high in protein. I've also fed Dr. Elsey's and my girls liked that as well. Since I can get Tiki locally I've found that works best for me. My girls like it and they don't seem to need to eat much to be satisfied on it. The kibble for both Tiki and Dr. Elsey's look exactly the same in shape. I use it as a mid day meal with a wet feeding in the am and pm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Little Chappers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m intrigued by Dr.Elsey’s cat food...I’ve never heard of it, and I don’t think I can get it in Canada - I’ve only seen the litter. I’ll check out chewy, although I wonder if the shipping would be exhorbitant. Would you all say that your kitties preferred it over most brands? If so, I would make more of an effort to get it.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Personally speaking, I found that they liked the Dr. Elsey's as much as they like Tiki. I don't really want them to "love" their kibble. One of my cats starts to ignore her wet in favor of dry when she loves the dry. Neither of them have any trouble on it, they both eat it and it doesn't cause my kibble-loving cat to start favoring it over her wet food so it works for us. As for the price, I'm only using a third of a cup per day for both of them so it lasts a while and it's high on protein so they do not need to eat much to feel satisfied.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dr. Elseys is the first dry that all 4 of my cats will happily eat. But the main reason i feed it is that it is the lowest carb dry food i have found. Its high protein, moderate fat, and very low carb. The calorie count is high, and with the high protein they don't eat a lot of it, so a bag last quite a long time.

Some dry foods with a lot of fillers or fibers give huge, smelly poo, that is not a problem with Elseys. Litter box doesn't smell, and poo is normal, not like a big dog has started using the box :cool2:

I have used it a while now, since it first came out, and have never had a problem or a reason to want to change.

But if i could not get Dr. Elseys i would use Farmina. I have also tried the Tiki dry, my guys eat a lot of their wet food, but they were not as fond of it as the Elseys or the Farmina. But if you can get Tiki dry, and your guys like it i think its a very good choice too.