Fancy feast pate making my cats constipated?

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has anyone else noticed a problem with cats eating FF pates? I even ran out of homemade i was giving one of my cats and he's not been pooping without help either(miralax etc) I just bought a bunch and have an order from Amazon coming in. I find it odd that they would all have thus issue. We feed turkey, beef and chicken, chopped grill and chicken and liver. Im afraid feeding them more which i have the past few days. Is making it worse. I have 7 cats and don't know what I can afford to feed them. That is grain free without fish and my picky cats will eat.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Lola prefers Fancy Feast beef or beef and liver pates and has never had any constipation issues. She also eats dry food as well though.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats got bored with the pates, so I feed them the Grilled or Gravy Lovers. Even on the pate, they haven't had any constipation.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Has anyone else noticed a problem with cats eating FF pates? I even ran out of homemade i was giving one of my cats and he's not been pooping without help either(miralax etc) I just bought a bunch and have an order from Amazon coming in. I find it odd that they would all have thus issue. We feed turkey, beef and chicken, chopped grill and chicken and liver. Im afraid feeding them more which i have the past few days. Is making it worse. I have 7 cats and don't know what I can afford to feed them. That is grain free without fish and my picky cats will eat.
Feeding cats wet food does not get your cat constipated. It just make them poop less like not everyday or every other day. Cats not pooping for 3 days is normal especially if they are on wet food.

Your cat could be dehydrated that leads to constipation. Increase the water intake of your cat. Add a tablespoonful or so of filtered water to their meals and mix it up each time they have their meals. Or have a water fountain or a bowl of water for them if the do drink from these and if not, adding water to their food is the best way to ensure that they stay more hydrated.

The other thing is get your cat to exercise more by playing with them. Exercise will help their system to regulate regular pooping.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lola prefers Fancy Feast beef or beef and liver pates and has never had any constipation issues. She also eats dry food as well though.
Thanks thats one we don't feed. But interesting

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Feeding cats wet food does not get your cat constipated. It just make them poop less like not everyday or every other day. Cats not pooping for 3 days is normal especially if they are on wet food.

Your cat could be dehydrated that leads to constipation. Increase the water intake of your cat. Add a tablespoonful or so of filtered water to their meals and mix it up each time they have their meals. Or have a water fountain or a bowl of water for them if the do drink from these and if not, adding water to their food is the best way to ensure that they stay more hydrated.

The other thing is get your cat to exercise more by playing with them. Exercise will help their system to regulate regular pooping.
Yes ive been doing that for years. Adding water to the wet food and they have 2 water fountains. Same diet. Yet they have been constipated and having hard bms. There seems to be a change in the FF recipe.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me like you should continue with the Miralax. I take it myself almost daily, and my gastrologist said it was perfectly safe.
Yea I just don't want to mask the problem. I have 7 cats and have to constantly scoop the boxes after each cat to see who's going and what it looks like. I feel bad if the food im giving them is causing the problem too 🙄. Since the pandemic and FF shortages who knows what they are putting in the food :(

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes ive been doing that for years. Adding water to the wet food and they have 2 water fountains. Same diet. Yet they have been constipated and having hard bms. There seems to be a change in the FF recipe.
A healthy poo needs 3 things:
- enough water
- enough fibre
- enough oil

Each cat is different and there doesn't seem to be a set diet that works for every cat's tummy. You'll need to experiment to see what your cat needs. Adding some fish oil might help or adding a bit of pumpkin.

I did find that feeding grain free was not working for my cat. There was not enough fibre and he wouldn't eat pumpkin regularly so he eats Purina chicken and rice.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A healthy poo needs 3 things:
- enough water
- enough fibre
- enough oil

Each cat is different and there doesn't seem to be a set diet that works for every cat's tummy. You'll need to experiment to see what your cat needs. Adding some fish oil might help or adding a bit of pumpkin.

I did find that feeding grain free was not working for my cat. There was not enough fibre and he wouldn't eat pumpkin regularly so he eats Purina chicken and rice.
The problem is, this is a new problem and multi cats. On the same food and have been for many months.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The thing that seems weird in your case, is that all of the cats appear to be having issues with FF. All 7 cats reacting the same is odd. Perhaps, there is something wrong with the entire batch somehow. Any change in the water you give them - or some other common denominator more likely to affect them all?

The only thing I have noticed with FF pates more recently is that it is 'grittier' (maybe less creamy would be another way to describe it). So, I do have to smash up the food and add water to make it less gritty (I have always added some water regardless). Nonetheless, it hasn't affected Feeby's poop one way or the other. I also haven't noticed any change to the ingredients.

You might check the Reviews on sites like Chewy's, Amazon, PetSmart, PetCo, etc. to see if anyone else is experiencing something similar.

Last edited:

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The thing that seems weird in your case, is that all of the cats appear to be having issues with FF. All 7 cats reacting the same is odd. Perhaps, there is something wrong with the entire batch somehow. Any change in the water you give them - or some other common denominator more likely to affect them all?

The only thing I have noticed with FF pates more recently is that it is 'grittier' (maybe less creamy would be another way to describe it). So, I do have to smash up the food and add water to make it less gritty (I have always added some water regardless). Nonetheless, it hasn't affected Feeby's poop one way or the other. I also haven't noticed any change to the ingredients.

You might check the Reviews on sites like Chewy's, Amazon, PetSmart, PetCo, etc. to see if anyone else is experiencing something similar.
Yes I actually add water and puree with a stick blender. I too have noticed the grit. I was thinking bone or something. As I know it can cause constipation. Nothing else has changed that I've done.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The problem is, this is a new problem and multi cats. On the same food and have been for many months.
Yes so there will be some common denominator of what they need or what is missing from this food.

I would give a call to the manufacturer and report the issue as it's all 3 cats.

If they were on a different food before, check the difference of fibre and such. The difference in percentages will give you an idea of where to start.