Fancy Feast Addict

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I feed my guys fancy feast, I now feed them Fancy feast broths (in those little foil envelopes/pouches.) I would also eliminate any fancy feast flavors that include chicken meal ....... ground up beaks/feathers/feet/skin is not meat! *I do have to break up the chunks of meat with a fork from the pouches, so they don't just eat the gravy.
I hope you know that those broths are not a meal replacement. They are more of a treat for cats. However, they were a lifesaver when my two CRF cats were near the end. That was the only thing they would eat--and keep down. They helped keep them comfortable at a very bad time.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They get LID Venison every other day, broths the other. Mainly they eat lots of dry food. I keep pushing the wet food but they are dry food junkies.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
When I feed my guys fancy feast, I now feed them Fancy feast broths (in those little foil envelopes/pouches.) I would also eliminate any fancy feast flavors that include chicken meal ....... ground up beaks/feathers/feet/skin is not meat! *I do have to break up the chunks of meat with a fork from the pouches, so they don't just eat the gravy.
There's a difference between "chicken meal" and "meat meal" You WANT to feed chicken meal- mealed meats are a very good thing. You DONT want to feed something that says just "meat" because that can have the by products.

Mealed meats have less moisture so you get more protein per pound. Ingredients are measured by weight, so when you see something listed as just "chicken" it has been pumped full of water to make it heavier so it will be listed as a top ingredient. As for the actual amount of protein there is very little. Mealed meats have no water added. Wherever in your list of ingredients you see "chicken meal" is where you are getting the bulk of the protein. The word meal just means that its only the meat with no liquid added. That's a good thing.

I specifically look to see chicken meal listed first instead of just chicken. If it just says chicken, then I try not to buy it. I want the food with all the "meals" that means it has more protein. Just don't buy anything that just says "meat" or "fish" and doesn't say what kind

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought I had read, that chicken meal can be anything at all.. even ground up feathers.. yes, feathers.. Read Susan Thixton, The truth about Pet Foods. It is a real eye opener.. I think Blue Buffalo does use ground up feathers as chicken meal..or chicken by products...

zoocat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, as another positive on Fancy Feast—I’ve noticed on this forum that Dr. Pierson’s catinfo.org is used as the gold standard for cat nutrition. Her food chart lists almost all brands and flavors of canned food and gives the protein, fat, carb, phosphorus and calorie data for each. Her recommendations for the “ideal” food is 50% calories from protein (preferably meat protein), 20-40% fat and under 10% carbs (<5 preferable).
Well, I went through the whole list and pretty much the ONLY foods that came close to that were ones primarily with tuna and other fish. Even the ones that didn’t have a fish in the name had tuna as a top five ingredient. Most of the higher cost and presumably higher quality brands were more like 30-40% protein, 40-60% fat and under 10% carb. Fancy Feast Classic had some of the BEST distributions—better than most of the ones most recommended on this forum and at a far lower cost. The only downside I know of is the meat by products but I personally don’t consider that a negative and prefer it to lower protein or protein from peas or potatoes. I don’t feed FF exclusively, but I definitely don’t consider it an inferior food.

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hundreds of cats have died this years because of weruva. Ironically, very few issues over many years with fancy feast.
4theloveofcats 4theloveofcats May I ask if you were referring to the recall in Australia? Aren't other countries clear of that? My local pet stores still sell Weruva and it seems to be quite popular. I just bought some and have just started feeding my cat, so I would appreciate more information about it to see if I should be concerned about it. Thanks!

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to wrap my head around why something like FF Classic, if it's so good, can be so cheap? I'm not trying to be cynical or doubt any of the reviews, but all other healthy brands I've looked up are way up there in price (and many of them still contain carrageenan), and FF Classic seems like an outlier...

Also, I'm curious if FF Classic is so good and cheap and not junk food, why would you still want to get your cats off of it?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, I'm curious if FF Classic is so good and cheap and not junk food, why would you still want to get your cats off of it?
For one of our kitties, it was newly developed food allergies, and changing health conditions and dietary requirements. But our other cat is still a Fancy Feast Classic addict, and does well on it. :)

zoocat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
PMousse, I'm not one trying to get my cats off of FF but I also feed several other brands and varieties from the same brand. For example, Purina makes FF, Pro Plan (savor, focus, true nature, Prime plus), Muse, Beyond, Purina One, and probably others. I feed a few of those and Merrick, Koha, Nutro, Instinct, Wellness. I think the answer to your question is multifaceted, but one thing is "quality" of the ingredients --chicken versus deboned chicken. And another thing is like the difference in you going to the grocery store for chicken breasts and seeing three or four brands (Tyson, Pilgrims Pride, Springer Mt, and others depending on your location). All with slightly different prices. Then you'll also see your "generic" store brand chicken breast which is very likely a lot cheaper. Is it inferior or bad for you? Should you not eat it simply because it's a "generic" brand? For many people the answer is to avoid generic/store brands and only eat well recgnized, heavily advertised brands. But there are many studies that have shown the store brand is just as good in quality and taste. It's marketing, it's volume, it's a lot of consumer manipulation. If you look at the ingredient list for several different canned chicken cat foods with varying prices, some won't have hardly any differences --others may include some vegetables and/or fruit (Instinct). Some will have the carrageenan or gums. Some will have meat or poultry by products (have you ever seen a cat eat a mouse or bird? They DEFINITELY eat and love the by products!). On this forum you will find a dozen or more strong opinions on all of these things. Companies do have recalls, some more than others (I won't feed Blue or Evangers, but many do), but you just can't protect yourself or your pets from every possible problem--you just do the best you can with what YOU think is best and that you can afford AND that your cat will eat and not have problems with (allergy, vomit, diarrhea, etc). Long reply, but hope it helps you get your head around this conundrum