Fake purebred kittens

melhammouche

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is this wrong in your opinion?

This girl I know has some kittens she's selling as "purebred" kittens for $500. They are ragdolls and she has already admitted to some friends that the parents are not pure and that she doesn't have any papers.

They have had injections and worming but have not been neutered.

She's already sold 5, are these people getting ripped off?? Because I don't know about breeding but its making me angry thinking that they may be getting ripped off.

Any opinions and feedback welcome.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, of course it's always wrong to sell anything under false pretenses, and to lie to people. Although it seems like a lot of people don't care whether a pet is purebred or not as long as they can say they paid a lot of money for it :rolleyes:. If they really cared about getting a purebred they'd get a registered kitten from a respectable breeder. But that doesn't excuse her lying at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melhammouche

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
These people that are buying them don't know anything about breeding, they just know the name ragdoll and want the kittens for that name.

I think this is very dodgy. If I found out later in life that they weren't pure when I paid for pure I'd be so upset.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stupid stays stupid if they don't learn how to look up what Pedigree papers are, lol

melhammouche

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's true haha I think the thing that upset me most is that she's selling the parents too.

So she's made a few thousand dollars and ditching all these cats on anybody who has the cash :( these are not guaranteed good homes, they are just homes.

melhammouche

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've learned a long time ago that most people are scum, and that's why I like cats better. :p
This is the best thing I have ever read on the Internet in my whole life.

I just think she's such a user. I just hate it when people manipulate animals. These cats have called her house home for so long and she just looks at them with dollar signs in her eyes.. I agree, people are scum.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've learned a long time ago that most people are scum, and that's why I like cats better. :p
I have a sign on my door which says "The more I meet people, the more I like my cat".

And to OP's question, yes that is ripping people off. Then again the people buying the kittens haven't done their research and seem to be stupid if they think they can get purebred un-neutered kittens for that price and aren't asking for the registration papers. So the cats are really domestic short- or longhairs and have nothing to do with any actual breed.

melhammouche

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Exactly, she's ripping people off. And worse she's used these cats for some money and now she's clearing them all out.

Sorry to say but it looks like there's going to be a lot more unneutered strays in my area.. :(

melhammouche

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Btw there are 9 cats in total so that's a lot of cat reproduction if the new owners won't fix them.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Btw there are 9 cats in total so that's a lot of cat reproduction if the new owners won't fix them.
You mean,  they are letting them out unspayed?  Although they do have what they believe and paid for, is purebreds?

"Against stupidity even gods fights in vain" as the proverbs says.

Btw, another  sign of a serious breeder, is also they do screen carefully the buyer is also a good forever home. It is not just the $$ talking.

But, you protested she sells of the parents too.  In Sweden, with our small family catteries, it is common the parents are family members, and thus, after their active carrieers is over, they get neutered and lives rest of their live as senior citizens in the breeders home.  The breeder taking a pause if necessary.

BUT.  Big breeders, in USA and sometimes even in Sweden, do sells of  the breeding cats when they are done. They dont want a stop in their breeding programme.  They are of course very anxious for getting them good homes, even if they must sell them extra cheap.

So selling of the parents isnt that unusual, and dont need by itself doom the breeder.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's fraud. It's illegal, like switching the tags on clothing and selling them as brand name. And the cats get caught in the middle. It's just horrible all around.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes it is horrible.  And lying.  I'd love to be a 'fly on the wall' with her and the potential adopter to see if she flat out lies about the kittens being purebred. 

Could you talk to the neighbor, say you have someone who is interested in adopting the kittens, but needs papers.  See what she says.

And:  if it is too good to be true, it probably is.. not true.  So, the potential adopter isn't entirely blameless:  I think she/he should do some research before adopting any cat/kitten (assuming it's not an emergency or life/death situation.)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think it's fraud. It's illegal, like switching the tags on clothing and selling them as brand name.
Yes, it surely is illegal fraud. Although quite common among the BYB´s, so everybody shrugs.

The buyers dont want admit they went straight into a very basic trap either, so they wont prosecute.

Another group suffering, are the real breeders. 500 $ is no toy. You can get a decent pure bred kitten for the sum. Not top quality but without any real faults.

Thus, such bybs are directly killing off the market for the serious breeders.

If you want a nice breed cat look alike, you can go look at the shelters around. Sooner or later you will find the most stunning ones, where the adoption fee is perhaps 100 $, not more. Vet checked, vaccinated, spayed and all.
You can always pretend whatever you want, just exactly as with this byb.   And if you so wish, you can of course donate 500$ to the shelter, so you can say you did buyed this gorgious cat for 500 $, "because Im worth it."    

So it is fraud to the buyer, and deep illoyality to almost all other cat interested and cats themselves.

melhammouche

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It just shows how little the new owners do know about cats that they're buying cats that aren't ragdolls, and aren't neutered for $500.

I think we should just pray for these guys.

Your welcome minka :)

Last edited: