Fading Kittens, Older Than Usual

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two roughly 8 week old kittens, pulls from a local shelter, that seem to be going the fading kitten route. I am used to seeing this earlier than now.
Orion and Octavia--have little interest in food, Orion especially feels 'floppy' when held. Brother Oleander is doing fine, eating like a piggy but relatively inactive. Even when I take the two eating kittens out of the cage to give the non-eaters an easy chance at food there's no interest in food, wet or hard. Unrelated Owen is crazy active, but he's a few weeks older by my guess.
Also unrelated Osaka, Olga, and Oswald (separate cage, same day pull from same shelter) are doing well.
There is very mild sneezing but no sign of secondary bacterial infection, so while I could start antibiotics I don't see a real need. What I need is for these kids to eat. Are there any decongesting treatments I can use?
Should I try syringe feeding in case of dehydration? Water? Broth?
What troubles me more than anything else is these two, along with brother Oleander and cagemate Owen, I pulled from the ADOPTION floor at the shelter. They have had one SQ FVRCP and one IN FVRC-C. Dewormed, de-flea'd. Both were over a pound on intake and now weighing only 15-16 ounces.
I've been fostering kittens for years but I keep seeing things I've never seen before.
I would hate to lose these kids...we've already lost 5 this year. :( 4 Failure to Thrive from a very inbred litter and one to FIP.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kat hamlin

Adult Cat
Purraise
Just fed about 5 mL warm salmon-flavored water to each and a little corn syrup, which they did not like. Cooking up some chicken for broth and meat now.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you get raw goats milk? This may make a difference sometimes. Otherwise, the usual pasteurized full fat goats milk may be tried, but not the same potential edge.

Some nice vitamine pasta?

Chicken broth is usually good. The Jewish Momma made her renown in much tx to saving her sick children, either by a soup on pidgeons or on chickens... It works nicely for kittens too.

Unflavored clear pedialyte is good as extra water. Especielly if they had diarrhea, they may still have too little of salts. This takes off their strengh from them.

You are often fostering weak kittens. Can you get real glucose sugar / dextrose? Its useful in many situations.
I see you use corn syrup instead, and it should be OK, it contains much glucose sugar (depends a little on exact process and brand). But the real thing is better, I do believe. Also, it doesnt taste that much, is just sweetish.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. Its often good to massage them - limbs and body - with hand, by a little towel, or even a toothbrush . the toothbrush feels alike moms licking, so it may even be the best. This works btw also as a part in fostering, not just the weak fading...

Do they snuggle with each others? If not, give them furry toys to snuggle with, type teddy bears or similiar. May be best you do yourself such of fleece. Fleece feels almost as mommas fur.

Be sure they have it enough warm (or enough cooling if its really hot by your place). The weak and sick ones has often difficult to keep up the body temp. Sick humans are almost always freezing, no?

kat hamlin kat hamlin

kat hamlin

Adult Cat
Purraise
So, we are good with temperature. They have a heat lamp and have been cuddling together in a pile. They don't feel chilly to the touch the way the really sick ones do. We do do kitty massages, lots of petting, and "purring" while holding them. I know that cats are more likely to eat right after they've gotten lovins. They do not seem interested in the chicken at all. Orion took some broth with a syringe and ate a tiny bit of chicken, but not willingly. I basically put tiny pieces in his mouth and he chewed them up. Octavia spat out the chicken when I put it in her mouth but also had a little broth. I know it's not the chicken, because everybody else in the house, canine and feline alike, wanted some (and they all got some too), I think these two are just feeling so poorly they're not hungry. Both also got a little more corn syrup.
I will see if I can access raw goat's milk. I know I can get pasteurized at the store.
Not sure if straight dextrose is available in this area. I know that my partner who is diabetic was told to use corn syrup in a hypoglycemic crisis.
No diarrhea but I will try with the pedialyte.
I'm just frustrated when I provide food and they don't want it. I understand they don't feel well but guys you would feel a ton better if you ate some!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Continue syringing. They must have nutrition, and they must not get dehydrated.

Get some clear pedialyte to give them along with the goat's milk.

Also, try Gerber chicken or turkey meat baby food. Most kittens love it.

When were their shots? They may be suffering a reaction to the vaccines. I wonder if they are nauseous since they have no appetite. An anti-nausea med might help.

How are their poops?

Thanks for what you are doing!

kat hamlin

Adult Cat
Purraise
Octavia passed this morning, sometime after midnight when I got home from work and 8 am when I got up. We have started Oleander and Orion on antibiotics and Orion is getting SQ fluids. Hopefully the little guy will pull through. He certainly looks a little perkier after his fluids.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So sorry to hear about Octavia. It's good you're being proactive and starting antibiotics and fluids. I hope the little guys make it.

Keep us posted!

kat hamlin

Adult Cat
Purraise
Orion passed on Sunday, despite antibiotics and fluids.
Everybody else looks good.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow - one after another. I'm so sorry. You certainly tried your best.

Are the others still doing okay?

kat hamlin

Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, surprisingly enough. I still have Oleander on antibiotics but he is eating and drinking well, seems bright-alert-reactive. Cagemate Owen never showed any signs of illness, and neither did the kittens in the other cage.
It's just been a tough year already for kitten loss, compared to last year. But at least I feel like I did everything I could for these guys, and now I have plenty of spare fluid bags and admin sets should I need them in the future.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, keep plugging away. It's always good to have supplies on hand. Glad Oleander is doing well! :)