Eye Problem

jellycatfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Happy came to me on Sunday morning with his right eye (left one on the pictures) shut and a swollen. Usually I would have rushed to the vet clinic without a second thought. Unfortunately, most vets are closed on Sundays and after a few calls I realized my only choice was to go to the emergency clinic, $150 for a consultation. By that time, Happy had opened his eye and he looked much better. I had also used a cold compress on his eye for a few seconds and he went to play with his favoritr mouse toy right after. There was no discharge. This is what he looked like on Sunday (I don't know how to rotate the picture, my apologies)

Yesterday, Monday, was Thanksgiving and everything was closed. His eye looked much better, 100% open most of the time. Today he looks also better, still no discharge, just a little bit but it was clear-colored. His eye is always open but sometimes I see his eyelid (not his 3rd, his normal eyelid) getting a little droopy and he has a little red on the exterior corner of his eye/eyelid. I booked an appointment with a vet tomorrow in an unknown clinic since the one I usually go to is overbooked until Friday. I had to call 3 different clinics before one had a timeslot opened for me and I was basically told "with an eye problem you shouldn't wait!" So now I'm feeling really guilty even though I think he's fine. He already had that kind of eye injury when he was younger and when I brought him to the vet the Dr said he was ok and to give it some time. I took some pictures today, could someone tell me if he looks ok or if I should still bring him to the vet clinic ? He eats, drinks water and play like he usually does.

And here is another one:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
His eye does not look serious/urgent enough to need the E-vet.
If he has no history of having a uri as a kitten, which will cause the eye(s) to appear abnormal now and then, then he may have even a tiny fur strand or dust irritating it.
If it was stuck shut it's caused by sticky drainage, and to keep it cleaned prior to the vet appt, use a wet warm soft cloth and hold it on his eye as long as he allows, then go back and swipe over it gently.
The key is to keep it clear of discharge so it's able to drain.
Beautiful kitty!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jellycatfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He had 2 conjunctivitis when he was a kitten, but this didn't look like it since there was no discharge. The appointment tomorrow is to a regular vet clinic, not an emergency one. Really, his eye itself looks ok. It's the redness at the corner and the upper eyelid that are bothering me. Does this warrant a visit to the vet? Could it be because he's healing from the irritation of dust or a fur strand? His eyelid on Sunday wasn't stuck shut, he just kept it shut, because it hurt, I believe. An hour later he was opening his eye like normal.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well if you still see redness going on then it's probably best to have it looked at.
If tmrw it looks normal then I might cancel.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jellycatfish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well if you still see redness going on then it's probably best to have it looked at.
If tmrw it looks normal then I might cancel.
I looked at his eye again this morning and his third eyelid is red and more brown than the one on his left eye. It doesn't show unless he looks aside. I will bring him to the clinic tonight and hopefully he will be ok and I won't feel too guilty :( ...
I refrained from going to the e-vet on Sunday/Monday because he looked better but most importantly my other cat has a dental cleaning and probably teeth to be extracted in 3 weeks, for a total of $1,000... I have been saving money for his operation, which is why the emergency clinic $150 for an appointment wasn't good news to me. I know it's Happy's eye so it's important, I wouldn't have hesitated to go on Sunday if it wasn't for my other cat's dental issue. I usually keep money for "kitty emergencies" but I failed them this time. I'll try to make sure it won't happen again. Thank you for your advices and the compliment about Happy. I appreciate it. He isn't at his best on these pictures; he really looks more like a mini lion every day passing with his winter floof.
I'll let you know about the vet's diagnosis tonight.