Eye Problem

Ashley23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi guys ! My middle aged cat , and middle fur baby Hannah has developed an eye issue . Tonight when I got home from work I noticed her left eye slightly closed and VERY runny, it doesn’t appear to be scratched .. and her third eyelid is slightly showing but not crazy.

I’m really worried about her as I have an older cat and a new kitten ( been two months with him and they all get along with occasional play fighting ).

I should mention my little kitten has severe allergies and his eyes are sensitive so the vet already seen him and prescribed erythromycin for when his eyes get irritated.

That being said , I don’t know what causing Hannah’s eye to be slightly squinted and leaking , should I wait it out , or try the erythromycin without consulting vet ? ( which I don’t want to do)...

Any advice helps ! I don’t want to freak out and go to the vet for nothing ..

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's really hard to say. Things with their eyes can be touchy, obviously. Since she's never (apparently) had eye issues before, I doubt if it's allergies or even Feline Herpes. Might be a scratch that you can't see, especially if you have a newish kitten there. I would probably call the Vet and ask if the erythromycin might be suitable to use for a couple of days and see what happens. Can't hurt to make the call.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashley23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update , took Hannah to the vet. And she told me to use erythromycin for 4 days every 6 hours. No scratch but something bacterial she guesses .

Hard part is Hannah is completely resisting for me to put the ointment in her eye , fighting me clawing me running away etc. Impossible to do myself so will have to wait for my second pair of hands to come home.. anyone know and tricks to do eye ointment by yourself ?