Eye problem and cure

Shari Yoose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had a couple of Munchkins over many years. The breed seems to have an eye problem that comes and goes occasionally. When I see clear weeping in the corner of the eye, I get right on it with Triple Antibiotic Ointment. I get it from Walmart. Put it in the eye twice a day for 5 days. Be careful not to hurt the eye. It works as good as the $25.00 a tube stuff I got from the vet and has 3 times as much in it.

BucDan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had a couple of Munchkins over many years. The breed seems to have an eye problem that comes and goes occasionally. When I see clear weeping in the corner of the eye, I get right on it with Triple Antibiotic Ointment. I get it from Walmart. Put it in the eye twice a day for 5 days. Be careful not to hurt the eye. It works as good as the $25.00 a tube stuff I got from the vet and has 3 times as much in it.
Can you link what you use?

How do you apply it?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Triple antibiotic first aid ointment for people is NOT for ophthalmic (eye) use. Brand makes no difference. The package directions says so right in the Warnings section (For external use only. Do not use in eyes). Pet eyes are no different from people eyes. Only use a veterinary approved ophthalmic (eye) ointment for your pet's eyes.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This came up years ago with my cat vet. Someone told her that a school nurse had told them that using triple antibiotic ointment in their child's eyes was okay.........I know, a lot of someone told someone told someone. However, the vet made it very clear that she had never been told that about her kids and that she had never been told in veterinary school that it was okay. As I recall, she said that one of the ingredients in the standard triple antibiotic ointment can cause anaphylaxis in cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shari Yoose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you link what you use?

How do you apply it?
I and other cat owners in our area, have been using the triple antibiotic in the eyes of cats with problems for years. There have been no side affects "on our cats." The ingredients are the same as the antibiotic that the vet gave me to use on our cats eyes. Use at your own risk. I put a small stream of it directly in the bottom lid of the eye very CAREFULLY. I have no link. I get it from walmart."Sheffield Triple Antibiotic Ointment.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There have been no side affects "on our cats." The ingredients are the same as the antibiotic that the vet gave me to use on our cats eyes.
There could be eye irrtation or inflammation or other issue from the use of an OTC Human first aid ointment. The cats may seem "fine" but unless you have a vet check the eyes you don't know.

Veterinary eye ointments may have similar active ingredients but at a much lower concentration than a Human OTC first aid ointment. You can't assume that just because the active ingredients are the same, a Human first aid non-eye ointment is safe to use. It's not worth the risk to your cat's eyes just to save some money. You don't mess with eyes. They're not replaceable.

I get it from walmart."Sheffield Triple Antibiotic Ointment.

See the warning on the label that says to not use in or near the eyes. Human eyes, pet eyes. It doesn't matter. You don't use the product in eyes.