Eye issue?

8102Siameseplease

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello cat lovers!
I would love to buy these two cute Siamese. I notice an issue with one of the boys eyes. The first 3 pics show what looks like a smudged iris. The last is the brother, who appears to have a very defined and normal pupil. Any ideas what this is and what it would mean for his health?
Thanks!

Attachments

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Could this be a form of Anisocoria? I always assumed it made the pupil larger, but smudgey but I don't know.

You're buying them? Is it possible to ask the person you're purchasing them from for vet records? I'm assuming the kittens have been taken to a vet and what not?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there! Although relatively rare, Siamese have been know to acquire glaucoma through bloodlines, and I don't believe it has to be tied to age (as we think of with humans). I was wondering if the 'blurriness' could be from the watery fluid in the front of the eye related to glaucoma. I think a vet diagnostic is in order, particularly if you can't get an 'honest' answer from the 'seller'. Even with glaucoma, there are treatments to stave off the effects; so, I am not sure that should be a real deterrent to adopting this guy. Keep us posted!!

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m definitely not a breed expert but these gorgeous kittens don’t look Siamese to me. Kittens from a breeder should come with some vet records.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m definitely not a breed expert but these gorgeous kittens don’t look Siamese to me. Kittens from a breeder should come with some vet records.
They DON'T look Siamese to you??

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
They are kittens so I think they just have kitten floof

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

8102Siameseplease

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all your input guys. Maybe I’ll clarify a few things. I don’t have any concerns that they are not Siamese as I saw the parents.
But I do have concerns with the seller’s credibility. The pics were obtained after I asked twice for more pics, specifically of the eyes (keeping in my mind Covid and wanting to limit our contact with others outside of our home). But the original add had around 10 very poor quality and amateur photos, including this one. I noticed something right away in just this photo and I inquired about it, she said it was just the lighting. I was of course inclined to believe her. With the second set of photos, I do think there is an issue she is not forthcoming about.
Also in the ad, she said they had their first shots and given a health clearance from the vet. I don’t think I have grounds to ask for the records, without causing her to know I’m distrustful.
In any case, having written all this out, my sensors are telling me that we should pass on these guys because of my concerns for her credibility.

Attachments

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your input guys. Maybe I’ll clarify a few things. I don’t have any concerns that they are not Siamese as I saw the parents.
But I do have concerns with the seller’s credibility. The pics were obtained after I asked twice for more pics, specifically of the eyes (keeping in my mind Covid and wanting to limit our contact with others outside of our home). But the original add had around 10 very poor quality and amateur photos, including this one. I noticed something right away in just this photo and I inquired about it, she said it was just the lighting. I was of course inclined to believe her. With the second set of photos, I do think there is an issue she is not forthcoming about.
Also in the ad, she said they had their first shots and given a health clearance from the vet. I don’t think I have grounds to ask for the records, without causing her to know I’m distrustful.
In any case, having written all this out, my sensors are telling me that we should pass on these guys because of my concerns for her credibility.
Honestly I feel that as a potential buyer or adopter you always should and do have the right to ask for vet records. I'm less concerned about hurting someones feelings because I'm distrusting of them than I am of making sure I have access to seeing vet records so that I know I'm not bringing any potential threats into my home with my other animals. Maybe use that as some kind of cover as to why you want to see the records?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise

I agree with Krienze, you have the right to ask for the records from the vet and I don't think she would bat an eye if you did.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just saw this thread... I can't tell from the pictures at the top if there is indeed something odd about the kitten's eye, or if the eye color is just very dark in the center. FeebysOwner FeebysOwner is correct that Siamese are sometimes known to have an inherited form of glaucoma, I have no personal experience with feline glaucoma but it is something that could be checked with a vet visit. I have personally had a kitten with a coloboma (defect of the iris leading to a slightly larger and misshapen pupil) which is another possibility, I guess.

Any breeder should be happy to give you complete vet records on a kitten and should not be insulted by being asked. And if you are serious about buying a kitten but something concerns you, personally I wouldn't be insulted if a buyer asked to have a kitten examined again if they had a sincere concern about health. I have also given buyers my vet's office number if they wanted to ask further health questions about a cat or kitten my vet had examined.