Eye Issue

Catlover9845

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

My 1.5 year old toyger came home from the breeder 2 and a half weeks ago. A week before I got her, the breeder said that her right eye started running, and took her to a vet who did some kind of flush. It was fine for a few days, then started again a bit. The breeder put her on Tobramycin drops, but only used it twice, and said it cleared up.

Shortly after I got Sierra the eye started again. The breeder shipped the drops to me, and my vet said to start her again with them for 10 days. It's now the end of that time, and she's still having eye issues. I'm going to call the vet again, but does anybody have any suggestions?

The corner of her eye is a bit red, but I would never have noticed if the vet hadn't shown it to me on my last visit.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you are going to contact your vet. It's important to get veterinary care for health problems concerning a cat's eye. Since you mentioned you got your toyger cat from a breeder do you have a contract and, if so, was there a health guarantee? Perhaps you should contact them since there appears to be a discrepancy about the Tobramycin drops actually clearing up the problem.

Here is an Article discussing eye problems in cats that may be helpful:
Eye Problems In Cats: What Every Owner Needs To Know

Best of luck, please keep us updated after you see the vet. :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catlover9845

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. I do have a 1 year guarantee. I've been keeping the breeder informed throughout. I guess I'll see what the vet says in my appointment tomorrow.

I could go back to the breeder, but I don't know if she'll give me my money back or replace her with another cat. The money back isn't helpful to me, because then I'm without a cat. The other option is also hard, because we've bonded with Sierra. But I also don't want to have to deal with a cat who has medical issues in the first month!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't expect you to return the cat. I'm sure you're already attached to Sierra. :lovecat: However, I was hoping the breeder would help pay for her vet bills and medical treatment if you had a health guarantee. Be sure to get a diagnosis at your vet appointment as well as the necessary course of treatment so you can inform the breeder. Fingers crossed all goes well. :crossfingers: