Eye infection? Allergies?

SAVANNALP

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!! Please help my 8 year old Squishy is having major issues with his right eye. Its watering like crazy. It’s pink and he seems to never want to open it. I have attached pics. I also just have him 5mg of Zyrtec because he might have allergies. Any opinions would help so much!

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has the cat been seen by the vet for the eye issue? Or are you just guessing that it's allergies and are giving the Zyrtec for it?

A watery eye that won't open could indicate any number of eye issues. One of my cats had something similar and it turned out to be a scratch of the cornea which required eye medication.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Eyes are always considered an emergency. Things can go downhill fast and any change should get vet attention asap. I would not give any of my cats medication which isn't prescribed for them. Let alone, those meant for humans. 5mg is a large dose of Zyrtec - only half of the human dosage. A cat is so small in comparison to us it could be too much. Personally I'd bring my own cat to the emergency vet if yours isn't open now. Especially if this has been brewing longer than a day.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would definitely see a vet. Without knowing what is going on it can be dangerous to self medicate and you could be delaying treatment. It might end up being allergies but I don't see any redness and it being in one eye makes me think its something else. Maybe a scratch or something in the eye? A vet would probably check with dye and a scope to be sure but proper treatment will help your cat feel better and heal quicker.