Eye Color

Ninipow13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve seen a lot of kittens in my life that as you know have the blue eyes and then later on they turn into a yellow or goldfish. Now my new kitten, who possibly has some Siamese in his genes, has a red hue in his eyes in dark light or certain angles, which I have never seen before, in any of my cats. Could that mean that his eyes may stay blueish? He’s apr. 6 weeks.
Could it mean he has eye problems? He sees and doesn’t seem to have sickness in his eyes. Looks and acts very healthy.

I was able to capture it with the flash (of course) but they do appear without flash. And my other kitten, doesn’t even get the red eyes with the flash. He’s my only one to ever show red eyes, with and without flash.
I guess I’m asking parents of blue eyed cats if your babies were the same when they were young?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ninipow13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m going try to capture it tomorrow without the flash and a close up on his eyes in the light.

Ninipow13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just now. No red but shows the regular color of his eyes.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
His eyes will stay blue since he’s a colorpoint. Colorpointed cats (including bicolor mitted point like your sweet kitty) have blue eyes because they’re partially albino- born white and then develop coloring.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Blue eyes often will show up red with a camera flash. I have tons of pictures of my blue eyed Siamese with what I called her “devil eyes”.

Ninipow13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do they have vision problems like albino humans?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Do they have vision problems like albino humans?
Sometimes colorpointed cats can be cross-eyed. That doesn’t affect their vision, other than maybe depth perception as far as I know, and it shows up when cats are young, so I can already tell that it’s not a problem with your kitten.

This article about Siamese cats briefly touches on why colorpointed cats in general are sometimes cross-eyed: Siamese Cats

And here’s a thread discussing it: Cross Eyed Kitten