Eye change color - blue cat

ljs3mil

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My blue domestic short-haired kitten's eyes seem to be turning from yellow to green? They have a green ring around the center. He is about 4 months old, we found him wandering outside as a baby. Is this common in all blue cats or only those with Russian Blue ancestors? Thanks!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ljs3mil

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In other words, is it a trait common with blue coats generally or only a specific subset of them? Just curious. Thanks!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Frankly speaking, I dunno.... I hope someone else knows.
But could you please give us a couple of good pics over body and head?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
My abyssinian started out with gold eyes. When he was 5-6 months old I noticed a narrow green ring around his pupils. It was a very slow change with the green gradually expanding until his eye were bright green by 4 years of age.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there always a greener inner ring or just in some lighting?

I don't know anything about cat genetics but I do know my blue DSH sometimes looks like she has a greener inner ring to her eyes, usually in moderate but not bright light. In sunlight, her eyes look light green (visible in my profile pic) and in dark / when dilated, they look more yellowish. She came to me like this around 4 or 5 months and it hasn't much changed.
20220208_092808~2.jpg

20210710_225407~2.jpg

Screenshot_20210904-105250_Gallery~2.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ljs3mil

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There's definitely a green ring. You can't see it when the pupils are dilated but you can when they are not dilated. I guess time will tell if it spreads or stays the same but I don't recall there being any ring when we found him a few weeks ago. He's a street baby so we have no idea of his parentage.