Extremely vocal kitty, what is he trying to say?

VOXLEO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a young kitty, some variety of domestic shorthair tabby mix, who has yowled at me almost constantly since he came home with us in November.

If I were to go by tone alone, I feel like he is complaining of something, but not sure what it could be. He is SO talkative that even his photo at the shelter was taken mid-meow, and other than the constant vocalizing, he seems content and healthy. He is EXTREMELY affectionate, such that he purrs immediately upon being picked up by anyone, and if it is ME, then he will place his paws on my shoulders in an embrace and duck into my neck to lick me along with the purring. He will announce his entrance to any room or upon waking from a nap and be fairly consistent , perhaps giving you time to respond to each meow with a "hello!" or "how may I help you?" of your own before making a new demand of sorts which I cannot decode.

This is not unusual behavior as he has done this daily for the entire time we have had him, and we have just taken it as him just liking to speak and be the center of attention when it isn't addressed by feeding or door opening or some more obvious demand, but sometimes I wonder if I might be missing something wrong, just because he sounds so much like he is yelling at me about something. He was just doing this for about ten minutes and now he's just quietly laying next to me, seemingly relaxed as always. Other than all the noisy, he is really an unusually mellow beast, even not stressed by sharing space with the 110lb puppy mutt, having apparently fully forgiven him accidentally put a hole in his paw by playing too rough earlier this year. ( I REALLY got an earful during the six weeks he was confined and splinted, but it was more obvious that he was complaining of his confinement situation then.)

But the general rule is seemingly that if he is awake, he's got some commentary to share. He will often plop down on his side, stretched out or belly up, and is amazingly accepting of being treated like a dog who is inviting belly rubs when he does this. Is he just weirdly conversational or is this maybe something that could have been overlooked by a vet on all the times we've been back and forth? For a while we were going nearly 3 times a week when he insisted on kicking off his bandage every other day or so. Once she said he might have a slight heart murmur, but otherwise seems normal. Well, normal-ish, if having a cat who behaves this way is normal, but I find him unusually trusting and affectionate for a cat. Much more like a dog might be in that regard, but he doesn't seem to have any other odd issues in behavior besides being a bit verbose.

It's not problematic, but it is weird that I don't really know what all the talking is about half the time. We've kind of just put it down to he likes hearing himself chatter, and that the tone is just how his voice sounds. I can't imagine what he might be complaining of, as he doesn't seem to have any pain or anything. Could it be that he just wants to be the center of attention? It usually stops after several rounds of "dialogue" which leave me giving up on having the last word and then he will settle in nearby, perhaps after a good snuggle.

He is neutered, and about 9 months old, in a household with 2 dogs and another 10 month old kitten, oscar, whom he was initially aquired for keeping him company. sometimes I interpret his complaint as wondering where his brother is, when Oz is not immediately present. Oz is actually unusually silent for being a siamese-y type flame point. He only chirps inquisitively on occasion, but otherwise is pretty mum about everything.

Are there just some kitties who are exceptionally this chatty? What else could he be trying to say?

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes he seems to enjoy putting in his opinion on everything! It must just be his natural state of being 😉 sounds very lively! Seems he’s got a houseful to compete with and wants to make his presence known, which I think is adorable-he’s got moxie! It will be fun to hear of his antics which I’ve no doubt he’ll have a few ❤

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Asking for lasagna, instructing you to wear a mask, bemoaning the loss of his mind-control torc, who knows? Most cats keep it simple because they know we are too dense to understand any but the most basic communications, but some don't care and talk to their human pets anyway.

Here is a pedmd article that points out a few causes that you can work to rule out
Cat Excessive Meowing and Yowling: Why Cats Meow. If you can't find a specific cause, and this was a senior cat that had not talked this much previously, that would be bad, but in a young cat, it means they are a talkative cat. Some breeds are known to be prone to chatters like this. In a domestic shorthair, you can get any cat trait randomly. You basically just "won" this genetic dice roll. Enjoy!

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every cat I have had that has a lot of Oriental/Siamese background has been extremely vocal. They almost have a compulsion to talk to you, are people-oriented, and mischievous. If your little one has a different feel to his coat, a slight odor, and always vocal, chances are there is Siamese somewhere!
I have found that some vocal cats are actually hungry and if fed more are quieter. You might try it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Ruby girl is talkative, which I love. However, it does sound as though your kitty is a bit more of a chatty cat. As long as it's normal for him, it's probably just his purr-sonality. :catlove:

He will announce his entrance to any room or upon waking from a nap and be fairly consistent , perhaps giving you time to respond to each meow with a "hello!" or "how may I help you?" of your own before making a new demand of sorts which I cannot decode.
Ruby will walk past the room, and utter a "meow" as if to say hello. If say hello back, she'll come into the room and we'll have a "conversation". It will usually go on until I get bored. So Ruby always has the last word. :catman:

( I REALLY got an earful during the six weeks he was confined and splinted, but it was more obvious that he was complaining of his confinement situation then.)
Oh, poor little guy. And you. Bet you both were thrilled when the 6 weeks ended.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My previous cat was an excessively vocal part Siamese. It does take some getting used to. She of course meowed/yelled if there was something she wanted or was unhappy with but often it seemed she simply wanted a conversation. So she talked, and talked and then I talked back. If I came into the house, I expected to be grilled about my day and where I had been and who I had seen.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree I do not think you have a problem on your hands, just a hilariously adorable kitty. Meows are not a standardized sound by any means, and some cats can adopt really weird or even alarming ones, but if that's the sound they always make, then it's just their normal.

My elderly kitty YELLED everything, which was probably due to hearing loss. She rarely was upset, although she always sounded like it. She just couldn't hear herself. It's unlikely that your young cat has hearing problems, but even if he did, it doesn't really affect quality of life or happiness.

"Slight heart murmurs" aren't usually a problem either. They may or may not actually be present, and cats often outgrow them.

Do you have any pictures? All of your furry family members sound super cute!

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Minish talks all the time in the same room and other parts of the house announcing her movements, complaints and commentaries although I'm pretty attentive to her body language. I find it adorable since she's not loud and most of her sounds are sweet and chirpy.
5 years old she still modifies her words or sentences, changing pitch or intonation. For example as she leads me to the kitchen and waits for her food, she makes long sentences as a mixture of meows and chirps. She even yawns in between and also ends the yown with a sound. This is modified according to her feeling of urgency or the yumminess of the smell of that meal.
She also makes sounds unpleasant for me. In that case I don't acknowledge or respond. They become modified to less un pleasing or abandoned.
Minish does all of this towards me. I've also ran into a stray cat who literally thought out loud as he walked on his way with no one else around :)

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Clove is a talker too. In her case, she’s usually demanding something (food, toys, attention) but sometimes she just likes to yell for fun! Even when she’s purring and sleepy, she likes to talk about it. She will always meow back if I talk to her. When I’m on the phone, she’s usually screaming in the background because she thinks I’m talking to her. Actually, the only times she’s been quiet are when she’s sick or scared. I’ve basically accepted it as part of her personality, and most of the time it’s pretty cute (although occasionally I’ve had to put on noise cancelling headphones for my own sanity... ;) ).

athertoncat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats are both SUPER chatty. I'm not sure if the younger one picked it up form the older one or if I just happened to find two naturally talkative boys. Either way it is just part of their personalities now :D

They DO sound very dramatic sometimes though so I understand the concern. I'm not a vet, but I agree that if it isn't outside of the ordinary for him, then there is probably no need to worry.

Some cats just like to be heard :lol:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don’t usually meow to other cats, except as kittens in order to keep in contact with their mother. After that, they don’t normally meow around others. Meowing and ”talking” is usually a learned behavior that they pick up in order to communicate with humans.

When a cat makes a sound and a human reacts, they discover that meowing gets them food, attention or other good things so they learn to keep doing it.

Casper was a very quiet cat when we adopted him but, over time, he learned to talk to us. He would make a sound and we would feed him, pet him, play with him or give him some other form of attention. Now, he often walks into a room and meows at us just to say, ”Hi.”

Casper always gets lots of loving when he talks to us so he learned to do it more.

With that in mind, I’ll bet that, somewhere in your cat’s formative time, he got lots of human attention and interaction when he meowed so he learned to do it more... for your cat, on steroids. ;)

I like ”talking” with my cat and I think having a talkative cat would be fun. :)

If you like talking with your cat, maybe you could teach him to hold a pretend conversation with you...

”Hello, kitty! How are you, today?” ... “Meow!”
”Oh, is that so?” ... “Meow!”
”Have you been a good kitty, today?” ... ”Meow!”

Do it long enough and teach him well enough and you could have famous talking cat on YouTube! ;)

Lectrice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am a new cat owner and adopted five-year-old Jack about six weeks ago. I had always thought that cats only meowed occasionally, so when I heard Jack using many different vocalizations, I was very surprised. He has a complaint mode That he uses when I am not sitting down so that he can be on my lap, And he tries to herd me, which is a whole other issue – – tripping.When he’s playing with toys it’s more trilling and chirps. He even vocalizes when he is in another room, which really surprised me because I thought cats only meowed to communicate with their human. So when I read your post about your chatty cat, I thought OK, Jack’s not the only one who likes to make a running commentary about his life. When he’s on my lap, he is pretty quiet, mainly because he’s napping.😊 Jack, also is a very affectionate kitty and before he can settle down in my lap, he hast to head bump my cheek and kiss me with his little pink nose. I have No knowledge of Jack’s previous life as the Humane Society didn’t know about what type of family situation he came from. So perhaps he learned to be so chatty From whoever he was with in his first five years. I too worried if I was not picking up on a problem, but he had a clean bill of health from my vet. So I guess some of us just have talkers!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VOXLEO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pics of my fur family!

I am thinking he might actually be a reincarnation of my dearest Phantom, who was more conversational than complaining and usually very clear in his meaning. Once I was reluctant to get up and open a door to the pantry where his food was, quite certain that it had been left ajar for him, and after several continuous minutes of his insisting (politely and patiently, but without pause) that I needed to address something, I threw back the blanket I had yanked over my head and sat up annoyed as I whined at him in frustration with his insistence, "WHAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAATT???" Imagine my surprise when he looked me dead in the eyes and then matched my pitch and tone and length, note for note, "MMIIAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaOOOOOOUU!!!" There was simply no denying that he was actually and deliberately MOCKING me! You could even see a little smirk on his kitty face as I gawked at him in response.

It worked, though. I got up to find the door closed, just as he had been saying the whole time. Little bugger.

He was odd, though. To the point that he very clearly understood English perfectly even if we didn't speak cat. Once, after a foray up the chimney earned him a bath after he came out looking exactly like a miniature blue-eyed panther thanks to the soot covering every single part of him (seriously, that scene from the 101 Dalmations, TOTALLY believable now!), Only after I had him under the running water in the tub did I realize I had somehow mislaid the shampoo somewhere and with a heart that fully believed he would disobey, I said to the small panther, "Don't MOVE! Stay right there!" (under the faucet of RUNNING water? Yeah right! I would certainly be looking at little charcoal mini panther prints all over the bathroom floor when I came back in, probably leading to some cubby hole behind the toilet... ) I was completely shocked and amazed when I returned to find he hadn't budged at all. Right where I left him after taking a whole 10 minutes to find the shampoo since I wasn't wearing my glasses. The kicker was when I tried to sneak in another lather after I promised him the 5th would be the last in response to his obvious growing impatience. The squawk of protest that he emitted when I spied a slight leftover smudge on his white fur after rinsing as I reached for the bottle again was as unmistakeable as the mocking - "HEY YOU PROMISED!" so I gave in and said, ok it was good enough, just to escape that reproachful glare. He never once tried to claw or bite, despite the displeasure and complaints I would get on the occasions he needed bathing. Even on first coming home from the shelter it seemed he understood it was for his own good and to eliminate the fleas that he was infested with.

And when I figured it would take some time to get used to the dog he was supposed to be company for, I was really pleasantly surprised that I simply explained it to him that he was going to be the DOG's pet, not ours, and upon introduction he was not only unafraid, he marched right onto the dogs muzzle and walked up his face to start licking the dog's ear! He was barely as big as the dog's HEAD at the time, and once put him down, he went over to the dogs bowl, drank some water and then proceeded to play hide and seek/ tag with the dog by jumping out at him from alternating sides of the sliding closet door... It was weird. Easiest pet introduction period EVER.

This kitty exhibits similar understanding, but is not as pointed in his statements as Phantom was, but he has his moments. This video was taken when he had been confined to a kennel for his broken paw, after he had been complaining for about a full quarter hour of nonstop yowling that was much longer and drawn out and louder than this little direct response which clearly speaks for itself:
here he is first week at home, and his grown up voice is a lot stronger now:

Attachments

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pics of my fur family!

I am thinking he might actually be a reincarnation of my dearest Phantom, who was more conversational than complaining and usually very clear in his meaning. Once I was reluctant to get up and open a door to the pantry where his food was, quite certain that it had been left ajar for him, and after several continuous minutes of his insisting (politely and patiently, but without pause) that I needed to address something, I threw back the blanket I had yanked over my head and sat up annoyed as I whined at him in frustration with his insistence, "WHAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAATT???" Imagine my surprise when he looked me dead in the eyes and then matched my pitch and tone and length, note for note, "MMIIAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaOOOOOOUU!!!" There was simply no denying that he was actually and deliberately MOCKING me! You could even see a little smirk on his kitty face as I gawked at him in response.

It worked, though. I got up to find the door closed, just as he had been saying the whole time. Little bugger.

He was odd, though. To the point that he very clearly understood English perfectly even if we didn't speak cat. Once, after a foray up the chimney earned him a bath after he came out looking exactly like a miniature blue-eyed panther thanks to the soot covering every single part of him (seriously, that scene from the 101 Dalmations, TOTALLY believable now!), Only after I had him under the running water in the tub did I realize I had somehow mislaid the shampoo somewhere and with a heart that fully believed he would disobey, I said to the small panther, "Don't MOVE! Stay right there!" (under the faucet of RUNNING water? Yeah right! I would certainly be looking at little charcoal mini panther prints all over the bathroom floor when I came back in, probably leading to some cubby hole behind the toilet... ) I was completely shocked and amazed when I returned to find he hadn't budged at all. Right where I left him after taking a whole 10 minutes to find the shampoo since I wasn't wearing my glasses. The kicker was when I tried to sneak in another lather after I promised him the 5th would be the last in response to his obvious growing impatience. The squawk of protest that he emitted when I spied a slight leftover smudge on his white fur after rinsing as I reached for the bottle again was as unmistakeable as the mocking - "HEY YOU PROMISED!" so I gave in and said, ok it was good enough, just to escape that reproachful glare. He never once tried to claw or bite, despite the displeasure and complaints I would get on the occasions he needed bathing. Even on first coming home from the shelter it seemed he understood it was for his own good and to eliminate the fleas that he was infested with.

And when I figured it would take some time to get used to the dog he was supposed to be company for, I was really pleasantly surprised that I simply explained it to him that he was going to be the DOG's pet, not ours, and upon introduction he was not only unafraid, he marched right onto the dogs muzzle and walked up his face to start licking the dog's ear! He was barely as big as the dog's HEAD at the time, and once put him down, he went over to the dogs bowl, drank some water and then proceeded to play hide and seek/ tag with the dog by jumping out at him from alternating sides of the sliding closet door... It was weird. Easiest pet introduction period EVER.

This kitty exhibits similar understanding, but is not as pointed in his statements as Phantom was, but he has his moments. This video was taken when he had been confined to a kennel for his broken paw, after he had been complaining for about a full quarter hour of nonstop yowling that was much longer and drawn out and louder than this little direct response which clearly speaks for itself:
here he is first week at home, and his grown up voice is a lot stronger now:
Yesssss! What a goofball. I'm glad he has such a good home. Everybody looks so happy!

Lectrice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Minish talks all the time in the same room and other parts of the house announcing her movements, complaints and commentaries although I'm pretty attentive to her body language. I find it adorable since she's not loud and most of her sounds are sweet and chirpy.
5 years old she still modifies her words or sentences, changing pitch or intonation. For example as she leads me to the kitchen and waits for her food, she makes long sentences as a mixture of meows and chirps. She even yawns in between and also ends the yown with a sound. This is modified according to her feeling of urgency or the yumminess of the smell of that meal.
She also makes sounds unpleasant for me. In that case I don't acknowledge or respond. They become modified to less un pleasing or abandoned.
Minish does all of this towards me. I've also ran into a stray cat who literally thought out loud as he walked on his way with no one else around :)
What a beautiful kitty you have! I only knew my DIL’s two cats who tend to keeps their thoughts to themselves. I think we have cats who should be in the theatre. When I cone home from an hour long walk outside, I am greeted with the saddest, most pathetic little sounds as if to say, “I was bereft! I thought you had left me forever!”:)

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenever we go out, Casper often greets us at the door when we come home and meows as if to say, “Why do always you ABANDON me!?”

He will sit in the front window with such a forlorn expression, watching as we drive away and he’ll be right in the same spot when we return. When he sees us coming, he jumps down and runs to the door.

We sort of understand this behavior because he was either lost or abandoned before we adopted him. It’s easy to see why he would be afraid of that happening again but, since he was only two or three years old when he came to live with us and he is now six or seven years old, he has lived more than half his life in the same place. You’d think that he would have gotten over that fear by now.

Then, again, there are enough times when we come home from the store and bring him kitty cookies or some other kind of goodies that he might just be anticipating a present.

Even though Casper has learned to talk to us, he is still the quietest cat I have ever known. When he talks, we pay attention because it usually means something.

Like O.P. says, figuring out what he means when he talks is the hard part.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My boy tends to either want attention, want my to go to bed or to tell me there is some critter outside bothering his sleep. At least thats what I've kind of figured out by his actions and reactions. The critter ones he will usually put a toy out near the door or window to tell me where it was. I kind of think he expects the toys to report back if there is a problem....

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think we have cats who should be in the theatre. When I cone home from an hour long walk outside, I am greeted with the saddest, most pathetic little sounds
Letrice speaking of drama, minish always announces her evening poop. As she goes to bathroom (on her way, not in the box) , a yowlish cry echoes from the walls. I used to check whether it was constipation hair clumps etc. nope! Just wants to be heard for this important ordeal! And after poop, trilling entry to the living room for some night zoomies :)

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my!! Finally saw a post from someone who has the same chatty kitty!!!!

Geoffrey is so vocal!!
He has a squeeky baby kitten voice— high pitched but loud.

He keeps talking more and more. He chirps, trolls when he jumps on or off anything. When he is somewhere he shouldn’t be, he calls me!

Geoffrey Tells me when he pees, poops; when his food bowl is empty; when he insists on wanting his dry food; when he wants to play; when he wants to cuddle on my bed: when he wants attention. He also trills, cries when he wants to play “chase”.
He tells me when his litter box needs dumping and cleaning. Omg, such a talking

He will also sometimes trill when I pet him.

Sometimes he just meows, kind of grumbling; when he does not like his food.
Some days he drives me crazy with his talking. I ask him, “What can you possibly come ant from me, now???”

One of my friends thinks he has some Siamese in him. His head shape is kind like a Siamese, along with the long lanky body. He is a big buff colored tabby. About 5 years old.

Good luck. Geoffrey keeps me tons of company, and love.

Attachments