Extremely Timid Cat

Boogercat1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I'm seeking advice on dealing with an extremely timid 2 year old female. Back story: Missy was my mother in laws cat from a shelter. She was acquired as a kitten. Originally she was indoor, but moved to outdoor. Mother then moved to North Carolina at Christmas time and then passed in April. Missy came to us in Washington in early April. Since being here, she has been in a room alone except for visits from my friendly kitten. She is so terrified of two of my females that she will urinate and defecate when approached. And she has become so timid, she cringes when approached by myself or my husband. She has been examined by a vet and is on anti anxiety medication, clomicalm. Has anyone had this situation and any advice?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Condolences on the loss of your Mom. :alright: I'm glad you were able to take in her cat. Sorry though that Missy is having a hard time getting settled.

You've got a few things going on with her. Change of home, loss of her human, living with other cats. All of which could cause her anxiety and litter box issues.

TCS has several different articles that cover some of your issues. Until other members reply with comments, I'll post the links to the articles. Maybe something in one of them will be helpful.

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

Combat Cat Urine
How To Remove Cat Urine
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
The Multi-cat Household

Do Cats Mourn?

How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding?
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama has given you all of the information I was organizing in my mind as I read your post. Poor little girl. Her whole world has been turned on its end, hasn't it? And you are trying to help her with her grief while dealing with your own. My heart to yours.

One thing I would suggest in addition to all of the above is that you and your husband take turns sitting quietly in the room where she is, reading aloud in a soft voice. The more she hears your voices like that, the more she will realize that neither of you are a threat. Patience. LOTS of patience.

Oh, and since she was outdoors with your mom, this might help, too

The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry for your loss. But i am very happy you took the little girl in, and are doing your best by her. So many cats like this end up in shelters, and i have always thought that was so very sad.

All of the above advice is very good. I think time and patience are your best bets! Hopefully soon she can be out in the house with everyone and that may help. Keep up with her meds, and if you dont think they are helping talk to the vet, just like with people there are other meds, and some may work better on a specific cat than another one. Sometimes trial and error.

Keep us updated on her, sending her, and you hugs :grouphug:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Boogercat1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I may at some point try to take her out doors, but I would worry about her getting lost. After reading a bit, I'm going to try to swap her out to the main house and place her two antagonists in her room. I am hoping this may get my two mean kitties more accustomed to her scent

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Boogercat1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So sorry for your loss. But i am very happy you took the little girl in, and are doing your best by her. So many cats like this end up in shelters, and i have always thought that was so very sad.

All of the above advice is very good. I think time and patience are your best bets! Hopefully soon she can be out in the house with everyone and that may help. Keep up with her meds, and if you dont think they are helping talk to the vet, just like with people there are other meds, and some may work better on a specific cat than another one. Sometimes trial and error.

Keep us updated on her, sending her, and you hugs :grouphug:
I'm hoping to swap places with her and her two antagonists and see what happens. She gets along well with my young boy Hobbs, so we shall see.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck! site swapping is a good part of introducing cats. They really get each others scent when you do that. The more they smell like each other the better they normally get along. Keep us updated with your girl!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I may at some point try to take her out doors, but I would worry about her getting lost. After reading a bit, I'm going to try to swap her out to the main house and place her two antagonists in her room. I am hoping this may get my two mean kitties more accustomed to her scent
Let her build her confidence up a bit before you try outdoors, and I've known many cats who do well with a comfortable harness. That way, she can't run away from you and get lost.

Yes, site-swapping is a very good technique to use. That way, the scents of ALL the cats are everywhere, and your shy little Missy can get out and about without undue fear.