Extremely prego mama

helper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued a very pregnant mama cat on March 1st.  When I got the call about her, I was advised she was a stray living at an apartment complex where random residents fed her.  She had already had 3 back to back litters.  The manager of the apartments wanted her picked up by the animal control until they advised the kittens would be aborted and she would be spayed before finding her a home.  She couldn't live with that so she posted to try and find someone to care for her which is where I came in.  I will allow her kittens to be born, then spay/neuter her and each kitten before finding them homes.

Here is the situation I'd like some thoughts on.  Three weeks ago when I brought her home, I honestly felt labor/delivery would be very near because she is so huge. I've fostered lots of prego cats and I've never seen one this huge.  In fact, she is not able to properly clean herself.  At least every other day, I must clean her rear end with a warm wet washcloth to remove poop!  It has now been 3 weeks and no signs of delivery.  I have her in my bedroom with everything she needs and she has adjusted really well to have been a complete stray.  

I made a really nice box for her but she has zero interest in it.  She of course favors right under the foot of my bed.  Any suggestions to convince her the box is better?  I have other animals so putting her in the bathroom isn't an option because of too much traffic in and out and stressing her... 

What signs should I watch for that would help determine if she is overdue?  I can feel and see lots of movement and in the last week, I'd bet the kittens have doubled in size just by how they feel..  I've just about convinced myself that if she doesn't have them by the end of this weekend, she will go to vet on Monday.  I'm really trying to avoid that for now because she gets extremely stressed riding in a vehicle.

Okay, I anxiously await all your expert advice!  Thanks!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since you have been seeing movement now, she is probably getting close. Cats usually give birth 2-3 weeks after you first see movement. I doubt she's overdue even though she's huge. She's probably having a big litter. Thank you for taking her in and caring for her! [emoji]128522[/emoji]