Extremely hyperactive kitten

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! We rescued a kitten recently, a couple of months ago, and we've noticed we've noticed he never seems to tire out. We have other cats, a one year old, two five year olds, and an eleven year old. He is constantly playing with and bothering them. Even the one year old, very much a kitten herself, is getting very annoyed with him. He chases her throughout the house and wrestles her all day and night. She is constantly growling hissing and huffing at him. I feel very bad for her. I've watched him use the litter box and as soon as it's covered turn around and pounce and play with it. He bites and scratches a lot and doesnt seem to understand when to stop. We've had many kittens but never one like this. He is about 3 or 4 months old now.

Is he going to grow out of this? Are we doing something wrong? How can I help my other cat? Is this something that could warrant a vet visit?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Since he is 3-4 months old he's obviously a bundle of energy, that's just part of being a kitten. :wink: It might help to have a safe place for your other cats to go so they can have their own space or respite from the kitten. Regarding a vet visit, I think it would be more advantageous to take him to the vet for a baseline check up since you recently rescued him more than for his over enthusiasm. I hope one or more of these TCS Articles has some helpful information and advice for you:
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat [A Guide] - TheCatSite
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment or House - TheCatSite
How To Choose The Best Toy For Your Cat - TheCatSite
How Old Is My Kitten? [An Illustrated Guide] - TheCatSite

Good luck with your new kitten! BTW, what's his name and please feel free to share a pic. :camera:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
He sounds just like a young, healthy kitten and it is far far better that they have too much energy and not enough. You can help him be a little less obnoxious by making sure he had several heavy play periods with a wand or laser to wear off some that energy.

But he is also a growing boy and if he has not been to the vet for his neuter and for a general visit it is definitely time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mutation

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! :) We have never had a kitten even half as hyper as him, so I wasn't sure. He is going to the vet to be neutered soon, yes.
His name is Remi. It's hard to get a picture due to how hyper he is though. ^^;

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to say that kittens vary from 8 to 11 on the 1-10 activity scale. So you have an 11. Its not that uncommon, but that doesn't make it remotely easy to deal with!

About all you can do is play with the kitten more or try automatic toys, but another saying I like is that trying to drain a hyper cat's energy out by playing with it more is "like trying to drain the ocean with a bucket."

Time should absolutely help! But exactly how much and when, no one can promise you.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a little girl once who was the same. She used to run so fast and so long I would go after her to make sure she didn’t have an injury or something she was running from. I would catch her, check her over and she was off again. She literally climbed the walls and would perch on the top of the doors until she needed to run again.