Extremely anxious, need some reassurance

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello there.

Almost two weeks ago I noticed two scabs on one of my cats’ head. They weren’t puncture wounds, they weren’t open wounds at all, just small scabs. They didn’t look like a bite or any kind of puncture wound at all. I do believe that at first there was one scab, then the other one appeared but I can’t be 100% sure about it. I’m pretty sure I noticed them when they first appeared because I check my cats every day and notice even the smallest details. So it never even were any puncture wounds there. My cat suffer from flea bite allergy and those scabs looked like it, honestly. It’s just a bit weird they are on his head, because usually he gets him on his spine and neck.

What’s the point? I have an anxiety disorder and I’m really really anxious all the time. Especially when it comes to my cats. Especially when it comes to Simba whom we are talking about, he is my heart cat and my absolute everything. I stupidly haven’t vaccinated my cats against rabies yet (planning to do so next week) and they are allowed outdoors (Simba never goes far and I always check on them every 15 minutes and bring them home after an hour of an outdoor time, so you may say it’s supervised). I’m extremely worried what if it was a bite, what if he has rabies now? As I’ve said, it’s been almost 2 weeks since I noticed those scabs, no changes in his behaviour, nothing. They are almost healed. He has one scab just like that on his spine as well which kinda points to flea bite allergy. The scabs on his head are 4 cm apart, so it cannot even possibly be a bite from another cat. It sure didn’t look like a dog bite because scabs are too small, and we don’t have any wild animals here.

Rationally, I understand that it’s like 99% not a bite and he is fine. But I’m still very anxious that what if it was a bite, what if he has rabies, what if he dies. I can’t sleep and eat properly, I can’t even function normally because of it. All the time, I’m so so anxious and beat myself up. I know that incubation period of rabies can be anywhere from 10 days to 1 year, usually it’s 3 to 8 weeks long but it depends on the bite site. If it’s close to the brain or spinal cord, it develops much faster. I assume that if it’s a bite on the head, it should not be long till symptoms appear. How long do you think I need to be worried? Can I relax after 2 to 3 weeks if my cat will not show any symptoms? He seems completely fine, my vet also don’t think it was a bite. I mean, I’ve seen bite wounds on cats. It looks nothing like those scabs Simba had.

Please, just send all the good vibes and I will appreciate any support and consolation. I’m really extremely scared and anxious, even though everything points to Simba being fine and that that’s not even a bite. I’m so stupid I hadn’t vaccinated my cats earlier. Desperately need someone to tell me everything will be okay. Thank you.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Life would be so much easier if our cats could talk to us in our language or us in theirs. Rabies is rare where I live so I don't know a lot about it but I did find this.
Screenshot_2023-10-05-11-40-19-95_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg

From what you have written your cat doesn't have any of those symptoms and you say the scabs dont look like bite marks. Is there any sign of swelling or infection, are you able to post a photo of the area for other members to see, maybe even send a photo to your vet for his opinion, can you bring the appointment closer. Easy to say but try not to worry. Hopefully members with more knowledge on rabies will respond to put your mind at rest.