Extreme Lethargy after Capstar Tablet (Nitenpyram 11.4 mg)

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Four hours ago, I treated several of my cats with a half dose of Capstar to hold the fleas off until my fipronil arrives, including two adult cats (my cats) and one kitten called Nublets (rescue). All of the cats became a bit frantic, scratching like crazy, but it only lasted fifteen minutes. I was rather expecting that. Now the two adults are fine. They're a bit lethargic, but otherwise heart rate and respiration are normal. The kitten, who is a newer rescue was completely  covered in fleas, and Capstar is what we could get. The fipronil will be here in two or three days.  I gave him half of an 11.4 mg tablet, and he got itchy and scratched. The fleas died very quickly and he stopped scratching. Now he is just really tired. 

His heart rate is fine, and his respiratory rate is good as well, aside from being a little bit slow. His eyes respond to light, and he isn't trembling or seizing at all. We just lost an older (3 months) kitten yesterday during a routine neuter procedure, the poor baby,  and we're all very paranoid and worried right now. I've put a bit of honey on his gums, but there's been no real change. If we put him on the floor, he just sits down or curls up. He just seems really sleepy. He opens his eyes and lifts his head to watch the toys we have for him, but not much else. He did play today and we woke up earlier than usual, as well (6:50 compared to 9:00). Hopefully this is the reason. 

It's  nearly eleven PM here in Tacoma, WA, at the moment, but I hope someone can respond to this thread soon. I'm unsure if this is a common reaction in kittens or young cats, or if he needs to see an emergency veterinarian. I just spent the last of my money on the Capstar and at yesterdays neuters and spays, and also the older kittens vaccinations, flea and tapeworm treatment. I don't have much money left.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions, please share. We're really worried.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How is she now?
If no better, I'd call the vet, but wouldn't be too concerned, especially if she is eating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is still tired. He has been using the box when placed in it and we've been using the eye dropper to put water on his lip. He cries like he's in pain when we pick him up. I've heard capstar can cause internal bleeding? Is this consistent with that? He's still very pale even though the fleas are all dead. I'm trying to get money for the emergency vet.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
How old is the kitten and how much does he weigh? I've used CapStar countless times without incident; but, there's always the exception.

Has the kitten ever been seen by a vet? With the amount of fleas and being pale (I'm assuming pale gums?) I would highly suspect the kitten is anemic. If this is the case, he needs to go to the vet ASAP. If his blood counts are low enough, he would need a blood transfusion. (I've had 1 kitten that needed this...once they get the transfusion, they perk up quite quickly.)

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We are at the vet now. His tongue and gums are pretty pale and he has a temp of 104.6. The doctor will be here in a few minutes.

My mom told me he was actually lethargic before the treatment and she thinks meningitis is a possibility as he had a cold last week. Now that he's here he's a bit more active and alert but still pretty tired. I would like to get him a transfusion and subQ fluids but I only have 150 dollars.

Last edited:

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His fever is up to 105. The vet says that he needs subQ and antibiotics. She also suggests bloodwork but I'm not sure we can afford it.

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They've prescribed antibiotics and subQ and are selling me a subQ bag for home administration. The antibiotic is Clavamox 62.5 mg.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish you well, and I pray every thing turns out alright, I know money is a problem sometimes, maybe they would let you make payments or let you work it off somehow, I guess you wouldn't know unless you ask.  Good luck!

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He just ate a ton of wet food. I don't think he could smell it before but I put some of his lip and he suddenly just acted like he's been starved. He just used the box a second ago. A slightly pale relatively well formed small stool came from that.

Does anyone have a good link for administering subQ fluids at home? They gave me 500 mg of lacerated ringers. Also tips on taking rectal temps would be great.

This is him right now. He's a little 'punky' as my mom puts it.

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know if I should allow him to sleep during a fever or keep him awake? I just want to make sure before I let him sleep too long.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His temp went above 105 and we took him back to the vet. I'm trying to apply for carecredit but I have no credit history. Hopefully it goes through.

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We returned from the vet and when I checked his temperature, it had dropped back to 104.5. The fever appears to be coming in waves. I'll be staying up with him tonight to give him water in a dropper every hour or two. Do cats sometimes experience fevers that come in waves? And is there anything I can do to at home to help him? Supportive care tips are great.

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His temp has been a steady 104.8 for two hours. Hopefully his fever will break tonight. He's been urinating, but hasn't had a bowel movement for half the day.

Should one keep a feverish kitten warm or cool?

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes fevers come in waves. We call it spiking. Please continue with the antibiotics and fluids as the baby will lose extra fluid being so hot. If the cat has a fever just like a child keep them cool. But not chilled or anything. Just don't be using a heating pad. Fevers serve a purpose in killing harmful microbes but they can hurt the body if they go to high or too long. Sending good thoughts!

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His temp has now dropped to 104.3, which is the lowest it's been all day.

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Half an hour ago his temp dropped even lower, to 102.8° F. He also got his subQ. It was a little messy, but we've got it now I think. They wanted us to give 100 ml a day, but for a kitten that's 2.58 lbs (1.33 kg) that seems like a bit much. We probably got about 30 ml in him and then he started drinking on his own, so we'll probably be doing 30-50 ml a day unless he stops drinking.
He also ate this morning and used the box, both urinating and evacuating his bowels.

He still sleeps a lot, but stays awake longer when he does stir.
I've mixed a little honey into his water and hopefully he can get some energy from it.

Heart rate is 165 beats per minute and respiration is 40 breaths per minute. Temp is still 102.8° F.

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here he is right now.

I've also noticed a small sore on his chin? Could this be related to him getting sick or is it likely that he just scratched too hard after the capstar? He certainly was a little excessive with the scratching.