Extreme Agressive Behavior - Reported by Rescue Cat's Parents! Please help.

gabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good afternoon,

I have a situation. I rescued a 6 month old kitty off the street about a year ago.  Male, very lovable but had aggressive tendencies with attacking then very hard biting.  Initially, I kept Eddie in a room by himself where he could see the other cats, Chloe and two other rescues.  I didn't try to intergrate him into the household into months later after proper vet check up.  Thing is, he would go for blood with the other cats so I kept him separated from them.  I'd spend the nights with Ed where he would have full access to apt. while other kitties spent evenings in bedroom. 

Ed got a wonderful home with two very loving parents - he has been with them for about two months. It appears Ed's aggressive streak has become unmanagable to the point they may want to give him back.  Initially, I suggested that when he acts up, to put him in the bathroom for a time out.  Eddie appears to go after the husband every day now without provocation.  the husband is the one that does the displining. Ed is a very high strung cat to begin with but very lovable. He would sleep with me every night.  He has not slept with this couple since they got him because he starts to bite.

They are taking Ed to the vet today to rule out any health issues. A friend suggested he might need kitty anti-anxiety medications to kickstart his behavioral change. Any suggestions on what this might be?  I read that 'dominance agression' might be what Ed is exhibited.

Many thanks. I don't want to give up on Ed!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Do they have any other pets, or is Ed the only kitty there?

Yes, a vet checkup is in order.. just to rule out any underlining health issues.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How is the husband disciplining the cat? If he is agessive with the cat this could be why the cat is now going after him. My kitten is a smurgler and she does it at bedtime- sometimes if she is trying to suck my skin she bites a bit. I find if I put her on a fuzzy blanket she will suck and bite it instead on my skin so maybe they could try that.

On top of that rescue remedy and feliway may help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes, Ed is the only cat in the house

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think the husband is overly agressive in that the discipline is as frequent as the attacking which is every day.  I've read suggestions of how you should not react w/ a cat is biting however, this does not stop Ed from continuing to bite very hard. the disciplining is putting Ed in another room for a time out but there seems to be multiple time outs throughout the day! When Ed was with me, he would attack out of the blue. it would always start with him staring at me like I was a porkchop- a glaze would come over his eyes then he'd bite my legs!  I read about 'domiance agression.' Perhaps Ed looks at the husband as a competitor?  Ed, I guess would be the alpha type.

My concern is that this won't end.  Has anyone had any experience with kitty anti-anxiety medications?

thanks!