Extra Playful

lre17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
so my man Felix is 4 years old and fixed. normally he is content to sit and watch the world go by and play a bit with his brother Oscar (who is also 4 fixed and his littermate) or me with his wand toys or his plushie kick toys. However the past few days he seems to have a lot of extra pep and is trying to play more with his brother (I am 99.9% sure it is play as there is no hissing, growling, blood, puffy fur or avoiding of each other during the day). There is fair amount of chasing but it not long lasting-sorta starts and stops. It terms of who starts it I would say Felix starts the tussling 65% of the time and Oscar 35%. Is this normal/ok/something to be worried about? I also noticed that someone (unsure who) isn't always covering their pee the past few days (sometimes it is covered but sometimes the past few days it has not been and normally they are pretty good about covering their pee/poop). Is this connected/bad?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - my Big Guy sometimes won't cover his pee in the box when there are ferals/strays/roaming pet cats in his territory.
So, I'd say in your case the increased activity levels and not covering is probably connected, and also likely connected to another feline in the area.
However, if you can't confirm that or even if you can, any change in behavior needs to be checked by a vet just to be on the safe side that it isn't something entirely different.
Thanks for being so observant and caring so much! :heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lre17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live on the ground floor of a big building on a pretty well traveled road so I doubt there are cats outside (or for their sake I hope not as they could get hit by cars...)
Also he still does cover his pee sometimes it isn't 100% either way... (and honestly I don't care if he doesnt cover so long as it isnt a sign of something bad)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
How is the weather where you are? Here where we have cold winters, and as soon as a hint of spring came my cats would go crazy and play like kittens, even though they were long past it. No clue why but it happened every year.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lre17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes-I’m in Boston and it has finally started to be nice the past few days (and it is supposed to snow tonight go figure!)! I sometimes leave a window (screened in so they can’t jump out) open a crack for them to smell the air maybe the new smells got them excited. Think that could be it-other than that there has really been no change to their life the past few days. And honestly if they are happy and liking the romping I’m
Fine with it I just don’t want it to be a sign of trouble brewing as miss it