Expressing Anal Glands

rexinminn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I took Punkin to the vet after she'd been losing weight. We had her on a raw diet, feeding her mainly cornish game hen and quail the past several months. She lost interest in eating those foods about three weeks ago and finally got to the point where she wasn't eating much of anything at all. So it was time for a vet visit. But first we changed her food to high-quality canned food and she began to eat regularly again. Yesterday at the vet they drew blood, administered fluids and expressed her anal glands which weren't infected but were filled with a compressed, sticky substance, not entirely normal. Punkin is 15 and has had anal gland issues in the past. I found this website (https://www.thesprucepets.com/expressing-anal-glands-555050on) how to express a cat's anal glands at home but am not confident in doing this, nor in knowing when it needs to be done. Ideally I'd like to take preventive measures such as applying a very warm compress to her anal area on a weekly basis to make sure the impaction process doesn't start, rather than waiting until the glands are impacted. Any feedback from people would be welcome. I will be speaking with the vet about it after the blood results come in, but in the meantime I wanted to cover my bases before speaking with her by posting here. Thank you!

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A warm compress would be a good idea and she may even like it. Expressing at home is not easy at all, my cats are so scared at the vets they can do anything to them, but me trying it at home is another story, they turn into superstrong monsters! I would let the vet do it at check up times. There are supplements at Pet med sites that help with this, including Amazon, just make sure it is for cats. Pumpkin added to teh diet can help. it provides fiber. Good, firm stools are what clean out the sacs, too loose a stool do not.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oddly enough I was over at the vet this week to get cat anal glands emptied. Second time we've had to go. Hers weren't impacted and the fluid was normal, but they were very full, so causing discomfort. The only sign with Feora is that she scoots about on her bottom on my bed!

The vet said if it needs doing again she'd teach me how.... But considering it took two of us to hold Feora, she bit me twice and really struggled whilst screaming bloody murder during the process, I haven't got a hope as it's only me!

Be interested to see what people recommend here as otherwise it's going to be pretty much a monthly vet visit for me at around £35 a go, if it keeps going.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rexinminn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Excellent, thanks so much for this! It means I'm on the right track with some of the things I've been thinking about. The only problem with pumpkin is that it's a bit of a logistical challenge to have a small enough amount on hand because it must be stored frozen, then small amounts kept in the fridge for the cat food, so I'll have to work on this. Right now my main concern is prevention so that she doesn't REQUIRE the expression, and your reply has helped with this. I appreciate your input!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I express one of my cat's glands all the time. It's easy to do BUT my cat holds fairly still. Many other cats would not let you mess around back there. If you look at the anus closely, you'll see two little openings. Those are the two gland openings. You basically just firmly squeeze the sides of the anus around the gland openings to get any goo to come out. The goo may shoot out so it's best to do this in the bathroom or other easily cleaned room and have old towels or paper towels on hand to clean up any mess.

rexinminn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any chance you could enlist the services of a friend? Maybe entice them by offering dinner or a drink, you know, make an occasion? And did you see the response from earlier in this post saying perhaps the warm compress could help forestall the problem? And the addition of fiber? We are now supplementing Punkin's food with some pumpkin (canned organic). Punkin took it well, but Peanut threw hers up, so I'll be working on the proportions, as well as staying with once a day, at least at first. We'll be doing the warm compress once every two days for roughly five minutes. We get the water as hot as possible first, let the washcloth soak up all that heat for a minute, then wring it out and go to work. You might think it's too hot, but it loses its heat so quickly. And besides, if you're truly concerned about that, don't press as hard the first 20-30 seconds. Yes, the process of AG expressing is intimidating, but don't give up on the idea entirely as the expense itself is intimidating! You can do this. Be sure to check out the link from sprucetree. The more informed you are, the more confident you'll feel. But you're right, trying this alone would be simply too much, it's hard on the cat and if she's already bitten you once, you know that's nothing to mess around with! Experience is the best teacher.

rexinminn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keeping my fingers crossed for you!! Let us know what the test results are :)
Thanks so much for the support! The blood test results came back yesterday and I had a chance to look at them but not discuss them with the vet just yet. Most of the results look pretty normal for a cat 15 yrs of age. Punkin is eating better right now and looking better too, better energy, better coat, etc. So things are looking up right now but we'll see what the vet says. Right now I think tackling the anal gland problem is the most important one, and I sure don't want the surgical option!

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Any chance you could enlist the services of a friend? Maybe entice them by offering dinner or a drink, you know, make an occasion? And did you see the response from earlier in this post saying perhaps the warm compress could help forestall the problem? And the addition of fiber? We are now supplementing Punkin's food with some pumpkin (canned organic). Punkin took it well, but Peanut threw hers up, so I'll be working on the proportions, as well as staying with once a day, at least at first. We'll be doing the warm compress once every two days for roughly five minutes. We get the water as hot as possible first, let the washcloth soak up all that heat for a minute, then wring it out and go to work. You might think it's too hot, but it loses its heat so quickly. And besides, if you're truly concerned about that, don't press as hard the first 20-30 seconds. Yes, the process of AG expressing is intimidating, but don't give up on the idea entirely as the expense itself is intimidating! You can do this. Be sure to check out the link from sprucetree. The more informed you are, the more confident you'll feel. But you're right, trying this alone would be simply too much, it's hard on the cat and if she's already bitten you once, you know that's nothing to mess around with! Experience is the best teacher.
LOL I did think about asking a friend to help, but I think they'd run screaming if I ask them if they want the pointy bitey end or the bottom end :) :)

I will try the compresses - at the moment she seems fine. But am keeping an eye out. Vet appears hopeful that the issue is the last bit of a minor infection and that all will be OK.

Really glad to hear that your Punkin is doing so much better, you must be delighted!!
:)