Explain to me again how this is responsible pet ownership?

spanish queen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This morning, we got up, did our usual morning routine, and my husband went outside for a smoke. He comes back in running around looking for the cat carrier and calling the emergency vet.
Our neighbour had a beautiful orange unfixed male cat who has been driving our beautiful, fixed, indoor only female cat nuts. We live on a really busy street, one of the major thoroughfares in the city.
Their cat has been hit, but is still alive and crying outside our house.
My husband took him to the vet as quick as he could, but nothing could be done. Now we will have to inform the owners that we had their cat put to sleep and there is a bloodstain on my sidewalk that won't come out and makes me cry.
I need to remind myself no matter how long he was there suffering, he isn't suffering anymore.
A cat is going to wander. An unfixed, unsupervised cat more so. Not only are you putting drivers at risk of causing this tragedy (although this particular one apparently didn't care), but your neighbours as well. Not to mention the stress on my cat for the last 2 months, and all of our outside stuff that has been peed on.
It has always been my understanding that freedom comes with responsibility. To me, that means that if you want the freedom to allow your cat outside, you have the responsibility to make sure he is safe by keeping him in your yard and supervised. You have the responsibility to ensure that he is not infringing on the freedoms of others, such as having an unsoiled by cat pee yard and a cat that will be calm and eat instead of pacing the windows.
Why is this understood for dogs but not for cats?
Ok, I get it, cats are closer to wild than dogs. However, when we want to bring them into the city, don't we have a responsibility to protect them from this kind of brutal, lingering death?
I guess I just needed to vent. I'm so sad and angry right now.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How awful for the poor kitty and how sad to put you in this position.  Although, it doesn't seem like much would have been done to help him on their end.  Many people like this feel that having a male fixed is just silly because he can't get pregnant and therefore cannot contribute to the unwanted pet population so they feel it is un-necessary.  They are wrong.  But, trying to educate people like this is like banging your head on a brick wall.  They will probably get another cat very soon and let him wander, too, until a similar fate happens.  With people like this, its a vicious cycle and revolving door.  And the worst thing is, if the cat technically has food, water and shelter, he is not abused or neglected.  So animal control won't do anything.  You could try talking to them if they do get another cat about neutering this one because you don't want him spraying all of your stuff.  It will probably fall on deaf ears though.  Another thing to consider it that they may not have the means to pay for it?  I don't know their circumstances.  So find out when a tom cat round up is taking place (a free or very cheap neutering special) and offer to take him in for them.... If they get another cat.

braysnaner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
what a terrible issue all the way around.   i am glad the cat was shown love; even if just for a little while.  so many would have never gotten involved.  

to be responsible for a cat is not exactly rocket science, ya kno?  what is wrong with people...

wouldn't you just love to flood their mail with educational information regarding cat care & responsibility!  

sending positive vibes the conversation with them goes well.  i have a feeling you've shed more tears than they will.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry  you went through this!  A BIG thank you to you and your husband for taking him to the vet and ending his suffering.  Poor baby! 

(I have heard that if you pore Coca-Cola on bloodstains on pavement it will help remove it.  The person who told me this worked with a volunteer fire department and said some police officers keep some in their trunks for accident scenes. I think you need the name brand.  Peroxide works magic on clothing so that might work too.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spanish queen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the vibes and advice. I did try the peroxide, bleach, scrubbing the heck out of it ( I know it doesn't undo what happened, but it's more productive than punching people). Now I think it is mostly noticeable as the significantly cleaner spot in the yard.
The conversation went better than expected, they were absolutely distraught, although angry at first that we made the final decision, but only for a minute when the extent of the injuries was made clear. A really hard way to learn a lesson but hopefully a lesson has been learnt. It has absolutely cemented in me that I have made the right choice with my girl to keep her safe indoors.
I still feel really sad, but we made the right decision for him. And as upset as it makes me, I am sort of glad he chose (?) our yard as we are up before most and were able to act a little earlier.