Expired Advantage Multi - still good?

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't usually treat cats for fleas in winter. I've never had to. I give a treatment around the end of October / early November, and then start again in the spring. This morning, I noticed Rover Grover doing the going after something movement and went through his fur with a flea comb. Sure enough. Unfortunately, because I had no plans to treat over the winter, all I have on hand is Advantage Multi that expired in October 2014. I can't get any more until late Monday at the earliest. The local pet stores do not carry Advantage II. Is it safe to use the expired Advantage Multi? 

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have a perfect answer but I DO know that Advantage and Advantage II don't really "expire" but just get a lot weaker if you pass their so called expiration date.  If I were you, though, I would just wait until Monday and get Advantage II because Advantage Multi does NOT have the chemical that gets larvae and eggs, it has an alternative that gets heartworms and other worms, so you would be better off with Advantage II.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll have to wait until at least Tuesday (snow), Wednesday (snow) or Thursday. Depends on how much snow. The vet's office is out of town on the highway and I'd rather stay off highways during snowstorms. There's always one idiot who drives too fast for the conditions. Forgot that everything here is closed on Monday for "Family Day."

I checked today in the one remaining pet store that doesn't have a local or national website. Nada. Will do what I can with the flea comb.