Experiences with head trauma in kittens

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm fostering a little kitten for the weekend who was stepped on by a big dog and suffered head trauma. She's struggling a lot with balance, but has definitely improved since she was brought to the shelter clinic 3 days ago.

She has already been seen by the vet and I'm not looking for advice. I'd just like to hear if anybody has experience with head trauma in a kitten or cat. How did the recovery go? How long did it take? I know every case is different; I just find it reassuring to hear others' stories, especially when all I can do for her now is wait and see (and help her not fall over when she's eating) 🙏🙏🙏

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My childhood cat had, suspected, brain damage along with a, likely, abusive early days. We don't know for sure, we only know based on how I got him he was mistreated for at least a little while. When I was visiting my grandma one time, a guy came walking down the street with a hack sack (a small beanbags that people used to toss around hitting with body parts to keep in the air). The guy tossed the sack around and dropped it a few times. When he got to us, he asked if we wanted a kitten. Turns out the "hacky sack" was actually a small kitten. My grandma said no (she had two cats at home). The guy looked around, shrugged, and tossed the kitten into the gutter before walking off. Of course, I scooped him up and eventually convinced my parents to keep him.

I don't remember any physical issues, I was only 12 when we got him, but he always had trouble recognizing people. Whenever someone in the house got new shoes he wouldn't recognize them. He also was always slightly distanced from everyone; I always thought of him as more of a roommate then a member of the family. Not that he didnt love us in his way but he was never much for toys or pets or attention in general. He never had the hyper kitten phase despite being a probably 4 to 5 week old kitten. We did have an older cat in the house so maybe he did and I missed it when i was at school. When he got older his memory definitely started to go and in his old age he really didn't recognize us. Despite everything, he was a mellow easy going guy. He was still with us when my niece was a toddler and he tolerated a toddler running up to pet him without trouble.

I know your situation is more a known head injury then suspected. It sounds like your one is healing and likely will continue. Kitten especially are resilient and bounce back from a crazy amount of injuries (with proper care).

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have seen it go both ways. If there are seizures the prognosis is more guarded. You should keep the kitten confined to a small area and monitor eating and drinking. A cut down litter box helps and using regular clay litter or shredded paper is best because the clumping can clump onto and between the toes if they don't get out of the way quick enough, and they never do. You have to monitor the temperature, and also watch for any signs of hypoglycemia. So, if kitten starts to face plant, check a glucose. But if kitten is eating frequent small meals hopefully that can be avoided. Have o also make sure there isn't neck trauma as well and they are able to support their own head. With it being a dog stepping on the head there may be some cervical damage. Check eyes frequently for any signs of nystagmus.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My childhood cat had, suspected, brain damage along with a, likely, abusive early days. We don't know for sure, we only know based on how I got him he was mistreated for at least a little while. When I was visiting my grandma one time, a guy came walking down the street with a hack sack (a small beanbags that people used to toss around hitting with body parts to keep in the air). The guy tossed the sack around and dropped it a few times. When he got to us, he asked if we wanted a kitten. Turns out the "hacky sack" was actually a small kitten. My grandma said no (she had two cats at home). The guy looked around, shrugged, and tossed the kitten into the gutter before walking off. Of course, I scooped him up and eventually convinced my parents to keep him.

I don't remember any physical issues, I was only 12 when we got him, but he always had trouble recognizing people. Whenever someone in the house got new shoes he wouldn't recognize them. He also was always slightly distanced from everyone; I always thought of him as more of a roommate then a member of the family. Not that he didnt love us in his way but he was never much for toys or pets or attention in general. He never had the hyper kitten phase despite being a probably 4 to 5 week old kitten. We did have an older cat in the house so maybe he did and I missed it when i was at school. When he got older his memory definitely started to go and in his old age he really didn't recognize us. Despite everything, he was a mellow easy going guy. He was still with us when my niece was a toddler and he tolerated a toddler running up to pet him without trouble.

I know your situation is more a known head injury then suspected. It sounds like your one is healing and likely will continue. Kitten especially are resilient and bounce back from a crazy amount of injuries (with proper care).
Humans can be absolutely horrific. That kind of lack of care is pure evil. Thank you for giving him a safe home and caring for him!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How old is the kitten?
I'd guess she's about 7 weeks old, though she's under 500g.

When she was brought to the clinic she couldn't even stand, her eyes were somewhat unresponsive, there was blood around her nose and she wasn't eating.

She's now able to walk and showing typical kitten curiosity, but she still tilts to one side and can't balance well. Clever baby has learnt to prop herself up against the side of her playpen while she eats. She has a litter tray with low sides, but she can't balance on the shifting litter so she pees on the blanket instead.

Her progress seems to have slowed. I'm not sure if that's normal and she'll still fully recover, or if there'll be permanent damage (vet will see her again Monday so I'll ask then). Either way, she's still the cutest little thing ever.