Experience With Revolution (flea/parasite Topical Treatment)?

catalinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a kitten who is now almost 3 months old. She was a stray and now shows all the energy of a healthy kitten. She's been to a few vet appointments and during the last one I was given Revolution to treat her for fleas and ear mites (it also supposedly helps with other internal parasites, too). I have not used it because I'm very concerned about the toxicity of the product.
It seems that there has been cases where animals have gotten seizures from it.

Her fleas aren't too bad (I combed most of it out when I first found her weeks ago and she's gotten a bath at the vet and I've only seen one flea in the past week). I vacuum every other day. I also bought food grade diatomaceous earth just in case to use on the carpets.

I used olive oil to clean her ear-mites (she is shaking her head and scratching a lot less). They're not totally gone yet but I feel like with a new ear cleaner it might help.

She will get her poop tested for parasites...and I'm reading up on other things that might help for internal parasites (pumpkin seeds? putting a bit of the food grade diatomaceous earth into her food?)

I kind of want to use Revolution as a last resort, but am conflicted. Would it be worse to not give it to her at all? Have any of you used it on your cat/kitten?

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have never used Revolution myself, but I believe it's considered one of the safer flea treatments available. Any medication carries some risk of certain individuals reacting badly, but most will not have any problem. At any rate, if you don't use the Revolution you will need to use something else. I personally like Advantage for fleas, both because it works and because my cats don't object to it as much as other things I've tried. There are a number of things you can get from a vet to treat the ear mites. I tried using olive oil to treat ear mites years ago, but it couldn't get rid of them completely.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a rabbit and they sre extremelty sensitive to chemicals. Revolution is the flea treatment you give rabbits. Frontline will kill rabbits. Advantage II will kill rabbits. By the logic of if it is safe for a rabbit it is safe for a kitten Revolution is the best chouce out there.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the ear mites aren't too bad, I've found that Revolution really helps in the fight against them. A serious case of ear mites could use more directed medicine per your vet, but I think Revolution has helped my kitty when I've used it. She has a day of "mopey malaise" after a dose and doesn't like that feeling of the med as it is first put on her neck -- but a day or two later, she's back to her goofy self again. Being parasite-free really helps a kitty's mood and comfort level!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catalinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everybody for your comments! Made me feel a whole lot better reading it...but then I also read the negative reviews on here: Zoetis Revolution for Cats so I am still on the border about it. I just don't want the worst case scenario...

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve used revolution, advantage, frontline and all kinds of other things in my life. Every cat is different. Revolution and advantage worked for me. And I hate to break to you but those “natural” methods hardly ever work if at all. Also keep in mind whatever fleas you’re seeing is only a very small fraction of the issue. You can’t see the eggs, larva, other fleas, etc living in furniture, under furniture, floor boards, and carpet. The live fleas you see are maybe 10% of what are actually there. Also a dozen fleas can become some 100,000 in as little as a month if not effectively and quickly treated. You can keep doing what you’re doing and then try the revolution when she is bigger and older but really you can’t 100% get rid of fleas without chemicals in some way unfortunately. I wish the natural stuff worked tbh. But the vast majority of cats that use these preventatives don’t have issues. Just make sure you put it in the correct place so they cannot lick it and you’ll 99% of the time be just fine.

catalinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A late update: I used it on her and she was thankfully fine. She had none of the side effects and was her usual self.

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I always do it on a day where I can monitor the cat after application in case of any effects. They usually just get a little docile after trying to run away from the smell. My vets were OK with it, except for my current vet. I asked his opinion about Revolution, and he thought it wasn't the best "just" for fleas and can be a little strong using month after month. So after this last dose I will go with something just for fleas because any mites/worms that Revolution treats will have run its course. They are indoor cats but I am trying to rule out any fleas allergy.

catalinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I always do it on a day where I can monitor the cat after application in case of any effects. They usually just get a little docile after trying to run away from the smell. My vets were OK with it, except for my current vet. I asked his opinion about Revolution, and he thought it wasn't the best "just" for fleas and can be a little strong using month after month. So after this last dose I will go with something just for fleas because any mites/worms that Revolution treats will have run its course. They are indoor cats but I am trying to rule out any fleas allergy.
I will make a mental note of this for future uses! Thank you for sharing!