Experience with purina one?

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just switched my shih tzu to purina one small breed lamb and rice, he likes it so far but he just switched today so we will see. I’ve heard mixed things about this food.He eats it with our homeade topper chicken/ground beef, rice, carrots, spinach, and sweet potatoes and I hydrate with chicken bone broth. What is your opinion on purina one small breed recipe ? (Feel free to speak your unpopular opinions)
For context: he only eats food from Walmart and target he won’t eat any boutique brands and purina is the only thing he will eat! We have quite literally tried everything else.. most picky shih tzu ever.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unpopular opinion time from an ex-boutique brand advocate:

For dogs, I would not use 'boutique' brands. There has been much science come out that they are being linked to diseases in pets now that they've been out for awhile: This Boutique Type of Dog Food Has Been Linked to Heart Disease

your homemade topper sounds great! That kind of stuff is really great for pets.

I personally like Purina One. My cats were on it before beef was in the entire line. Their food was the first food Magnus actually acted like a cat for. I like the added probiotics. They are on Iams now (made by Purina but no beef).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jadeloveshercat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

For dogs, I would not use 'boutique' brands. There has been much science come out that they are being linked to diseases in pets now that they've been out for awhile: This Boutique Type of Dog Food Has Been Linked to Heart Disease

your homemade topper sounds great! That kind of stuff is really great for pets.

I personally like Purina One. My cats were on it before beef was in the entire line. Their food was the first food Magnus actually acted like a cat for. I like the added probiotics. They are on Iams now (made by Purina but no beef).
My dog seems to be doing really well on it! He’s finally eating after trying wellness, nulo, instinct, and other brands like that. This is a lot cheaper too because we have 2 cats aswell so we were spending hundreds a month on food for them.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

For dogs, I would not use 'boutique' brands. There has been much science come out that they are being linked to diseases in pets now that they've been out for awhile:

It's not really "boutique" brands that can cause heart disease in dogs. It's being grain-free that can cause it in certain dog breeds.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My dog seems to be doing really well on it! He’s finally eating after trying wellness, nulo, instinct, and other brands like that. This is a lot cheaper too because we have 2 cats aswell so we were spending hundreds a month on food for them.
My cats got seriously ill on Nulo and then recently with wellness too? After having it for a long time.

Nobel got FLUTD on Fromm and Orijen.
I've never had a cat touch a raw diet. My late cat would eat freeze dried but only when her hyperthyroid was not controlled.

It ended up being so costly and stressful trying to get them to eat that I gave up. They do have instinct and Wureva wet foods.(except Calcifer who have a tummy upset will ONLY eat Iams Perfect Portions)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
This is an excellent site for both dog and cat food unbiased reviews. It's a matter of preference but personally I would not feed my dog any Purina products. I do understand finances being a concern and would suggest referring to this site:
DogFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat
OR talk to a knowledgeable employee at one of the local pet stores in your area, not a chain or franchise. Good luck with your shih tzu and please feel free to post a picture or two. :camera: