Experience specifically with Buprenorphine buccal for chronic pain...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
... not for acute, temporary pain or surgical related relief, and not through injection or topical.

This is looking for input from folks who administer this med at home to their cats because of chronic pain, due to things like arthritis or cancer, for example. All the information on the internet varies so much that it is hard to decipher anything from it. Hearing from others with their individual experiences would at least give me some personal level appreciation.

While dosing is different based on a number of factors, for what it is worth Feeby has been prescribed 0.1ml every 12 hours - calculated/determined by the following equation: her weight 5.82kg x 'dose' .01mg/kg divided by strength 0.6mg/ml. The specific brand is Buprenex.

So, tell me -
- Dosage (how much you are giving your cat each time)
- Frequency (how often do you give the dosage each time)
- Adjustment time - (how long it took your cat to adjust to this new med)
- Efficacy (how long each dosage seems to last)
- Side effects, both short term and longer term
- Adverse reactions if any - and resolution, if needed
- Duration (how long your cat has been receiving this med)
- Other input (not covered above)

Thanks.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I personally don't have any experience with this drug, but am wondering if perhaps it's the same thing as Buprenorphine? When I googled Buprenex Buccal that came up, so if it IS the same, you might get some responses if you change your query to that vs the other :dunno: . I did find several threads under Buprenorphine.

:hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I personally don't have any experience with this drug, but am wondering if perhaps it's the same thing as Buprenorphine? When I googled Buprenex Buccal that came up, so if it IS the same, you might get some responses if you change your query to that vs the other :dunno: . I did find several threads under Buprenorphine. :hugs:
Yes, Buprenex is a specific brand of buprenorphine, but I mentioned it specifically because as I understand it Buprenex is certain strength of bupe whereas other brands may be different.

I looked through previous posts about Bupe, but most were for acute pain/short-term use, and that also impacts the strength and dosage. However, I can change the title anyway, since I mentioned the strength and use for chronic conditions in my post. Some of the information I am looking for doesn't necessarily apply to acute pain/short-term use.

Last edited:

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
a couple weeks before she died our cat was given a long term shot of something for arthritis pain. it seemed to really work. she was on gabba for pain before that. it seemed to help for a number of years (at least it seemed that way, she'd tremor and the gaba would def stop that)

afaik buprenophene isn't given for long term unless the cat has like cancer and is expected to die.

ah hubby just forwarded the thing they gave her that helped FDA Approves Novel Treatment to Control Pain in Cats with Osteoarthritis, First Monoclonal Antibody Drug for Use in Any Animal Species

(And her death had nothing to do with this drug, they think it was a gi cancer she was nearly dead when they gave this to her and it actually made us think she might live and the diagnosis was wrong)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
a long term shot of something for arthritis pain
That long term shot was Solensia - nothing to do with, or connected to, Buprenorphine. Feeby was on Solensia for a period of time, and it became ineffective and ended up giving her side effects.

afaik buprenophene isn't given for long term unless the cat has like cancer and is expected to die.
It can also be given long term to cats with arthritis, or other pain related chronic illnesses.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That long term shot was Solensia - nothing to do with, or connected to, Buprenorphine. Feeby was on Solensia for a period of time, and it became ineffective and ended up giving her side effects.

It can also be given long term to cats with arthritis, or other pain related chronic illnesses.

ah right on, i was just putting in the other drug in case you hadnt heard of it. hope you figure things out for your baby.

as yah know the buprenorphine is a derivative of morphine and is highly addictive. if there ever are side effects you're pretty much committed for the rest of her life. I don't know how effective weaning cats off of it would be or how serious the consequences

i don't know how old feeby is but if she's quite old and in a lot of pain its probably worth doing. if she's younger and has a long life ahead of her it becomes a tougher equation.

edit, as a thought i think a week or two is generally given to cats to manage pain in short dosages. is it possible to maybe go between the two drugs instead of sticking with one only. or maybe weave gaba bupro and the longer term drug in with each other to keep the effects fresh for each one?

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
ah right on, i was just putting in the other drug in case you hadnt heard of it. hope you figure things out for your baby. as yah know the buprenorphine is a derivative of morphine and is highly addictive. if there ever are side effects you're pretty much committed for the rest of her life. I don't know how effective weaning cats off of it would be or how serious the consequences. i don't know how old feeby is but if she's quite old and in a lot of pain its probably worth doing. if she's younger and has a long life ahead of her it becomes a tougher equation.
Thank you. I didn't give Feeby's history, including all of the meds she has taken, as no one would have gotten through the entire post, and I was really only seeking out information related to Bupe and the particulars I outlined.

While addiction is a possibility, it does not seem to be as much so for cats as it is for humans, and actually not to the degree of morphine either. Feeby is 18+ yo, with multiple illnesses/diseases, and while I don't actually know her level of pain, it isn't likely that giving her Bupe ongoingly - as long as she can handle it - is going to be an issue in her lifetime.

I am really more looking for those who have used it long term for chronic pain and what their experience has been in line with my original questions.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For what it's worth, buprenorphine is actually a weak opiate. It is one of the drugs they give to heroin addicts to wean them off the hard stuff. But that's neither here nor there because cats don't get to choose to abuse. Given medically, the main side effects are sedation and constipation.

I used to give Krista the transdermal ear cream when her eating dropped off and I suspected dental pain. Often I had to beg the vet for either a prescription or a dental or both because, "she just had a dental." Yeah, well, tooth resorption doesn't follow a once or twice a year schedule. I would say the bupe was so-so in its effect. I say that because while Krista would start eating again, she was still eating less, and thus likely still feeling some pain. I don't remember the dose anymore. But the frequency depended on how much I had on hand. When I got a prescription for a good amount, I would dose her sometimes four times a day because I found it easier to find four dosing times I was likely to be awake than to wake in the middle of the night for one of her three doses. When I got a stingy bupe prescription, I was setting an alarm for the middle of the night. I wish she would have been as easy to medicate as Betty because I wonder if gabapentin would have helped her through her dental issues better. Have you tried gabapentin with Feeby?

You have probably already looked over these pages. But I often just slap a VCA behind a Google query because they produce a lot of, often quite adequate and helpful articles.
Buprenorphine | VCA Animal Hospitals
Gabapentin | VCA Animal Hospital | VCA Animal Hospitals

It sounds like there is some concern with bupe and kidney disease. I'm sure you've already discussed this with your vet.

Then for a specific drug, I also go to Wedgewood to see what they have to say and what other forms might be available if Feeby resists buccal dosing.
Buprenorphine for dogs and cats: Uses, Dosage & Side Effects
Gabapentin for dogs and cats: Uses, Dosage & Side Effects

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 - Read all that stuff and plenty more. Bupe comes in various strengths and doses, and they are not the same depending on why they are being given. Treating tooth pain and related dental procedures is often handled differently than treating for chronic pain related to other issues. And, actually, depending on all of this, it is considered more potent than morphine; it just works differently because of its composition.

Feeby refused gabapentin in many different forms - I tried 4 or 5 versions - and she would immediately vomit it back up if I managed to get it into her mouth and she actually swallowed it. It also did not work when trying to hide it in any form of food. So, I cannot speak to its efficacy.

The amount of buccal Bupe is so tiny, that even with Feeby, administering it does not appear to be an issue. For one, the amount is almost immediately absorbed into her cheek, so there is nothing to throw up. And, because there is so little of it, even if she gags, there is nothing that can come back out.

I am more concerned about stuff I haven't found on the internet and was hoping someone here was using the buccal version for long term chronic pain.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
edit, as a thought i think a week or two is generally given to cats to manage pain in short dosages. is it possible to maybe go between the two drugs instead of sticking with one only. or maybe weave gaba bupro and the longer term drug in with each other to keep the effects fresh for each one?
Feeby refused gabapentin in many different forms - I tried 4 or 5 versions - and she would immediately vomit it back up if I managed to get it into her mouth and she actually swallowed it. It also did not work when trying to hide it in any form of food. So, I cannot speak to its efficacy for her. I have read where it can be used in conjunction with Bupe, but that seems not to be an option with my cat. Alas.

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Feeby refused gabapentin in many different forms - I tried 4 or 5 versions - and she would immediately vomit it back up if I managed to get it into her mouth and she actually swallowed it. It also did not work when trying to hide it in any form of food. So, I cannot speak to its efficacy for her. I have read where it can be used in conjunction with Bupe, but that seems not to be an option with my cat. Alas.

thats a pity :( we had very good success with it here. drommie actually said it was a good flavor powder on her food. lol.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep an eye out for constipation and monitor hydration.

As a recovering opioid addict, I've been on buprenorphine for almost 8 years. I am currently on an extremely small dose, as far as human doses go (0.25mg, when the typical human dose is 8mg), and I still have issues with constipation. I have to take extra care to stay hydrated.

Out of curiosity, I did some very brief reading about its use in cats when I found out it was approved for veterinary use. It can have the same side effects as in human use.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
cmshap cmshap - I am pretty well aware of all the potential side effects, but they can vary widely - not only per individual cat - but by dosages and strengths/concentrations, which also vary widely.

Just to highlight the complexity of this pain med in terms of how it can be composed and used (with humans or cats), when comparative tests were done between cats given morphine and Buprenex, the Buprenex cats were given a 10th what the morphine cats were given and still had significantly better pain scores. FWIW, I am pretty sure the tests were related to the use of Buprenex on a short-term basis to control acute or surgical related pain, rather than for chronic pain.

Technically, it is only approved for human use by the FDA, but vets are allowed to use it for animals under the ‘animal medicinal drug use clarification act’.

Glad you are down to such a small dose for humans!

jmichaelp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I put EVERY medicine my cats get into a gel cap. So, they've never tasted anything bad & every pilling is just treats/praise to them.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While addiction is a possibility, it does not seem to be as much so for cats as it is for humans, and actually not to the degree of morphine either.
I understand you are asking for experiences, and I don't mean to go off-topic, but I am kind of curious about this.

In humans, we have COWS and SOWS (Clinical/Subjective Opiate Withdrawal Scales) to gauge a patient's level of withdrawal. I'm curious how it has been surmised that there is less addiction potential with cats, when withdrawal symptoms must be much less quantifiable.

I found a study from 1979 which made my stomach churn a little, where they gave cats morphine for a while, then administered naloxone to precipitate withdrawal and observe behavioral changes. Observations included "wet-dog shakes and a catatonic-like posturing."

Beyond that, most of what I find about opioid use in veterinary medicine is "little is known." And lots of stuff about diversion and drug-seeking humans.

I am really more looking for those who have used it long term for chronic pain and what their experience has been in line with my original questions.
I hope you get such answers, but it doesn't seem like there's much out there, from what I've found. Which you already know.

I know this is unhelpful, but if my cat was 18+ with multiple diseases/illnesses, I'd just administer and make sure he seemed happy. I'm sure this is your prioroty as well, and you are just looking for anecdotal information on longer-term buprenorphine use. I'm sure there is anecdotal information out there, but it seems minimal.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm curious how it has been surmised that there is less addiction potential with cats, when withdrawal symptoms must be much less quantifiable... Beyond that, most of what I find about opioid use in veterinary medicine is "little is known."
Tbh, even in articles and web sites where it was stated there was less of a potential addiction, I didn't find any stats with them to back that up. So, who knows how they decided to include that statement in their documentation. I agree, little is known.
I know this is unhelpful, but if my cat was 18+ with multiple diseases/illnesses, I'd just administer and make sure he seemed happy.
I am not necessarily focused on long term implications (e.g. addiction), but rather things like adverse reactions and side effects and whether or not they were short or long term. That is why I tried to be pretty specific when looking for experiences, because these types of things can vary by the purpose of the med and how the med is composed and administered.

Causing side effects, especially those that don't subside over time, for her could be just as bad as any 'discomfort' she has now without the Bupe. Adverse effects, obviously, even more so. Giving her Bupe is a 'stab in the dark' - a last resort, if you will - to see if it helps with her lethargy/self-isolation, under the assumption that pain could be the cause. The sad part is her present state could be exaggerated by Bupe, without ever knowing if any associated pain is being addressed concurrently.

Last edited:

jmichaelp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good for you!! My cat will not take gel caps.
I use a pill popper to give them. I straddle my cats to keep them in place, give a lot of praise, then after gently tilting the head up, I push the popper in the side of their mouth & place the gel cap on the back of their tongue. After years, I do it in a flash now. You can blow gently on their nose to get them to swallow. Since treats are coming they're primed to swallow anyway.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I use a pill popper to give them. I straddle my cats to keep them in place, give a lot of praise, then after gently tilting the head up, I push the popper in the side of their mouth & place the gel cap on the back of their tongue. After years, I do it in a flash now. You can blow gently on their nose to get them to swallow. Since treats are coming they're primed to swallow anyway.
Even though this is pretty much off-topic, I'll respond anyway.

I don't need any sort of tactic for the buccal Bupe since it is such a tiny amount, so an oral syringe is just fine. All of the other meds she is on, so far, I can manage to get her to take them with pill pockets, pill masker, and even some just crunched up in food or lickable treats. She on too many meds for the rest of her life to be forcing any of them into her on a daily basis if I don't have to.

Last edited:

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's almost midnight here's and I'm too lazy to look through all the responses. But I've a suggestion. Cbd for cats.
I first started giving it to 1 of my babies that was diagnosed with small cell lymphoma. After 2 weeks on it, she was almost a different cat! She used to stay in the laundry room where I'd made a few beds and had a cat tree for her. She didn't like being out where everyone else was. I thought it was because I had 2 younger cats and she was 15 at the time. She took chemo once weekly & prednisolone nightly to stop her throwing up every day.
After 2 weeks I was able to take her off the steroids completely and forever!😁 And she began coming out to be with the family in the living area every day. It turns out she had anxiety problems i never knew about.
Not just that, but she moved easier (must've had arthritis and I didn't even know) and even started jumping up on the couch! We adopted her at age 10 and she'd never done that before. She started playing more, kept a healthy appetite and her weight up and didn't throw up anymore. It was amazing!
I did the research first, before asking my her about it. It works against inflammation, nausea, arches & pains, and as a natural appetite stimulant. The only aside effects live ever seen is if increasing too fast or too much, over grooming can happen. But I just eased it back down some and no further problems. Check this article or. Hope it might help.
I currently use it on another scl/ibd kitty, one with stomatitis/kidney failure, and another with hyperthyroidism/ibd.