expenses and food quality

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by twobananaz

sharky, that does sound so much more reasonable! I already find it hard enough to find variety for my rabbits and that's just veggies and greens, so the thought of having to prepare balanced meals for the cats as well does seem a bit daunting. Can one get chicken necks at a regular grocery store, or would I need to go to a butcher's shop or something?
some grocerys have them( my two state one does..... butchers are a great bet though call first some get only "human" cuts

tillymoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've fed raw to my dogs for years is it the same in principle for cats?

My local butchers prepares most of his meats on a Monday and if i ring before 9am he will give me the bags full of waste, my husband also works as electrician at a chicken factory which is one of the main reasons i switched to raw as i know full well the kind of by products that go into commercial dog foods and i wasn't feeding that and on the plus side i get as much chicken as i want/need.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, Twobananaz!

You've moved beyond the original post, but I'd like to touch on a couple of points from it.

First, it's good that you're removing kibble from your cats' diet - it's species-inappropriate and does a lot of harm to a lot of cats.

Second, I would scratch "homemade cooked food" off the list of potential diets. Nutrients are lost in the cooking and, since we've not yet identified all of the nutrients cats need and get from their prey, there's no way to truly be sure we've added the right amounts of the right supplements back in to make a home-cooked diet a good choice.

And why go through all that work to destroy what makes raw-feeding so doggone nutritious to begin with?

-------

Moving on to your later posts... here is a thread you might find helpful: Natural Diet Information Resources.

Of the three fresh (that is, non-commercial) raw-feeding methodologies, I use a combination of whole prey and frankenprey. Here's a menu thread; it's short, but gives you the general idea: What does your menu look like?

I balance my cats' diet over a week's time; this is the most-often used time-frame by raw feeders and is easy to achieve.

As for cost, freshly feeding my cats costs me fully HALF what I would have to pay were I to feed them commercial canned, even ordering some of their foods online (First online order).

The following are some raw-feeding resources you might find helpful in your research: feline-nutrition.org; catinfo.org; catnutrition.org; rawfedcats.org.

Fresh raw feeding takes more time and effort than feeding commercially-prepared products, but it's totally doable (and oh-so-totally worth it).

Hope some of this helps you!

AC