Excited and nervous!

jazzyp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am getting a new dog today!  I had two dogs, a Chihuahua, about 7, who is still with me, and a Pomeranian, who died in December at 14.  Since Foxy's passing, Lily, who has always been very affectionate, has become increasingly needy, and I am sure she misses her friend.  I have six cats, and while she gets along with all of them, none are really what you could call a companion to her.  

The new dog is another Pom, 2 years, male, neutered.  He is mostly white, with black markings that make him look like he's wearing a mask from Phantom of the Opera.  My housemate and I spoke for quite a while on the phone last night with his current owner, and we both trust her.  The dog is UTD on all shots, and they will be bringing complete vet records, his kennel, which he loves, toys, and some of his current food.  He is trained to either go outside, or to use puppy pads, which I have in great abundance, as I do not put Lily out when it is cold.  

The family who has him got him a couple of months ago from an elderly woman who could no longer care for her dogs, and while he gets on well with their kids and their other Pom, he is terrified of their Husky, and that is why they have chosen to rehome him.  Lily, my Chi, has always been with at least one other dog, until Foxy died, and my cats have been around a dog or two all their lives.  Mostly, they ignore them.   The lady who originally had the dog apparently did have cats at one point, and said he was fine with them.  Nevertheless, I am a little nervous, and hoping all goes well.  His current owner has agreed to take him back, should things go horribly wrong, but I would really like this to be the last stop on the journey for this little guy.  

Please keep your paws crossed for us.  I could hardly sleep last night, for anticipation and a bit of worry.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have the new dog yet?  I hope things are working out well.  It really would be ideal if the little guy could make his home with you since it sounds like Lily certainly needs a buddy.  And it's so hard when they get bounced around.  

Anyway, I would be just as excited.  The entry of a new family member is always a very big deal!

It would be wonderful to see some photos of him.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jazzyp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We just got home with him about half an hour ago.  He has a little kennel that is his safe place, and he's not ready to come out yet, so I'm trying not to rush him.  I'm sure he feels a little overwhelmed right now, but he seems to be a very sweet little dog, other than being a bit head-shy.  That could, of course, be because he doesn't know us yet.  He's a little on the chunky side, I will need to work on that with him.  I'll try to post some photos in a couple of days.  

Lily's reaction so far couldn't be better.  She's acting friendly toward him, but not pushy.  Exactly what I was hoping for.  

jazzyp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it is going to work out just fine.  He was loose in the room with three of my cats last night, and for the most part, they ignored each other.  My shyest cat kind stuck to the perimeter of the room at first, then she got up in one of the cat beds and went to sleep.  No hissing or growling at all, so I would say it was a remarkably uneventful introduction.  Actually, I am not surprised.  All of my cats have always lived with at least one dog, and the older lady who used to have the new dog had cats.  I put his little den in a large wire kennel we have, along with food, water, and puppy pads before going to bed (there is a sofa-sleeper in here), and then brought in the other three cats.  I don't really expect trouble with them, either, but they are a little bolder than the first three, and I felt that it was best to wait for a closer introduction, as the little guy had already had a busy day!  They know he is in there, and he knows they are out here.  No signs of it being a problem so far.  

I learned a few things about his personality last night.  He's not as head-shy as I had thought, which is good.  I wanted to make sure he had a chance to go out last night, so not long after posting, I took the top half off of his den (actually a cat carrier), rather than try to drag him out.  My housemate and I then spent a little time talking softly to him, and he started to relax.  Then I offered him a treat (he came to us with a grocery bag with more different kinds of treats than I have probably ever purchased in my life!)  That did it.  He is *very* food-motivated, and after a treat or two, he was following me like my own shadow.  I suspect his former owners kind of spoiled him in this respect, because he seems to expect a treat every time he hears a bag rustling.  He will still get them from me, but he is going to have to earn them!  I'm pretty sure over-treating is what has made him overweight.  The good news, regarding his weight, is that when we got him outside, he raced all over the yard, and clearly enjoyed it.  

He is going to need a change of diet, other than just too much.  When I got him out of his carrier, I found some technicolor upchuck, and a little stash of food under his blanket.  He came with a partial bag of Pedigree.  -_-  I'm trying to get all of my animals off kibble, and even if I were not, this would *not* be on my list of acceptable foods.  My plan is to get him on a good canned food, but not enough to entirely satiate.  I may continue to use a little bit of kibble (although certainly not Pedigree) in a small Buster Cube or similar puzzle toy to make him work for it a little bit.  He is a *very* smart little dog, and very attentive:  he watches you as you move around the room, not in a fearful way, but in a way that seems to say, "Yes?  What's next?"  I think he will be highly trainable.  Today I will try to sort out what commands he already knows.  

This little guy was obviously loved, but it seems that a series of odd circumstances has caused him to be shuttled from one home to another.  I know that the family we got him from (lovely people, btw) had him for about three weeks, and rehomed him because he feared their larger dog.  They got him from an older lady who could no longer care for her pets, it sounds like there may have been health issues involved.  Judging from his health records, she got him from a rescue last May.  Why he was there, and why she did not return him when she could no longer care for him, I do not know.  It's clear that he has been well cared for:  his coat is in good shape, and his teeth look clean.  My housemate suspects that he was taken to the groomer in the last day or two, to make him more appealing to potential adopters, but I don't think so.  His nails are not overgrown, but they are not freshly clipped, either.  

Anyway, to make a long story longer, I thought he was adorable the first time I saw him, but last night, I fell completely in love with him.  It seems the one thing he has lacked so far in life is stability, and he will have it here, the last stop along the road.  I do want to rename him.  His original name was Oreo, which he does not seem to recognize.  Then he was called BooBoo.  Ouch.  I'm leaning toward Bandit, which, while a bit cliche, really does suit his appearance.  I think he will learn it quickly, given his love of treats.   

margd

Veteran
Purraise
What a lovely update!  "Bandit" sounds like he will be the perfect dog for you and you sound like the perfect person for "Bandit."  He must be utterly adorable. Do you have any photos you can share?  I'd love to see them.

It's remarkable that not one of your 6 cats seems that upset about the new family member.  He is obviously meant to be with you and it's heartwarming to know that the little guy has finally found his true home.  I'm so glad - I hated to think of him being bounced around even more than he has been already.  

Sending "Bandit" ear scratches and smooches. 

jazzyp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

What a lovely update!  "Bandit" sounds like he will be the perfect dog for you and you sound like the perfect person for "Bandit."  He must be utterly adorable. Do you have any photos you can share?  I'd love to see them.

It's remarkable that not one of your 6 cats seems that upset about the new family member.  He is obviously meant to be with you and it's heartwarming to know that the little guy has finally found his true home.  I'm so glad - I hated to think of him being bounced around even more than he has been already.  

Sending "Bandit" ear scratches and smooches. 
I'll get photos up as soon as I can.  To be honest, I am probably the least competent photographer on the planet, so it will have to wait until my housemate, who actually *is* a good amateur photographer, can take some and then show me how to share them.  

My cats are pretty amazing.  There are a couple who don't much care for each other, and the shy cat doesn't really like one of the others, and usually hides from him, but even that is getting better.  They are all unfailingly affectionate to me, and to anyone else they have met before, and I have one who loves literally everyone:  casual visitors, repairmen, the cable guy...  I've thought about trying to get him certified as a therapy cat, because he seems to have a special affection for the elderly.  I'm not sure what I do to deserve it, but almost all of my cats have been like that, very loving, the kind of cat that can change forever the beliefs of people who think cats are cold and distant.  I have only ever had one who was at all aloof, and she was a feral I took in with her kittens.  She didn't really seek out cuddles, but she didn't avoid people, either, and she was extremely gentle.  Two of my current cats are her grown-up kittens.  

As for Bandit?  Yes, I think you are right.  I was meant to have this dog, and he was meant to have me.  

Last edited:

jazzyp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Latest update:

I do not think the issue with Bandit is being head-shy.  It's defending his safe space, whatever it is.  When he is out in the room, he loves to be petted, is fine with being picked up, sits in laps, all of it.  But...if he is in his little den, or even in the wire kennel, he is very defensive if you try to reach in to pet him or get him out.  I feel sure I can overcome this behavior, but I wonder if it might have been an issue with one of his past owners.  For now, I am implementing two policies.  There will be water in the kennel, but no food and no treats - he's going to have to come out for them - and his access to the kennel will be limited, other than at night or when we need to be away for an hour or two.  I will get him one of those little cave-like plush cat beds for him to curl up in during the day, but it is going to be out in the room.  I don't want to deprive him of a place where he feels secure, but  I will not encourage territory guarding. I have a feeling he had an owner somewhere along the way who indulged his every whim, and never required him to do anything he didn't want to.  That seems to happen a lot with little dogs.  :(  Well-intentioned people get these wee ones, and then unwittingly ruin them by treating them like little porcelain dolls instead of letting them be dogs, and allowing behavior they would never tolerate in a larger animal. 

I also suspect that someone relied far too heavily on treats as a means of showing love.  I need to teach him other rewards, and to help him become more confident.   

~~~Break~~~

Bandit came out of the kennel as I was writing this, and I took him outside.  His tail was at last held high over his back, and I saw it wag for the first time since we brought him home.  I suspect playing with him in the yard will be a big part of helping him learn to be a happy, confident dog.  He is learning to come when I call his name.  

He is *very* clean in his habits, it's actually quite impressive.  My other Pom, Foxy, was pretty good about going out, but as he got older, he did sometimes lift his leg in the house, and Bandit has not made any effort to pee on those places.  Bandit came to us with sort of a little dog toilet.  It's a plastic fame with a washable mat for them to go on.  He has been very good, so far, about either using that or doing his business outside.  The family who had him for the last three weeks said he only made one mistake in the house, and I believe them.  

My housemate took a couple of pictures yesterday, and I will try to post them as soon as I can.  It won't be today, though, as we have a couple of errands, and she has a party to go to tonight, a dressy fundraiser thing.  I went last year, and honestly, I would rather stay home with my pets, a glass of wine, and a good book.  

margd

Veteran
Purraise
Bandit is a lucky dog with you in his life.  Addressing his behavior problems so compassionately and with such concern is a gift to him, indeed. The cozy cave-like bed out in the room is a great way of both bringing him out into the open and letting him still have a retreat.   I'm sure he will thrive in your care.  He's obviously figuring that out as well. I wonder how much access he had to the outdoors before.   It must have been heartwarming to see him finally wag his tail. 

He sounds pretty smart, too.  Is it normal for a dog to learn his name so quickly?   I've always had my dogs from the time they were puppies so it wasn't an issue but that seems like some fast learning to me!

I'm the same way about fancy occasions.  Spending the evening surrounded by your furry family with a glass of wine and a good book sounds like heaven!  [emoji]128077[/emoji]

jazzyp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Bandit is a lucky dog with you in his life.  Addressing his behavior problems so compassionately and with such concern is a gift to him, indeed. The cozy cave-like bed out in the room is a great way of both bringing him out into the open and letting him still have a retreat.   I'm sure he will thrive in your care.  He's obviously figuring that out as well. I wonder how much access he had to the outdoors before.   It must have been heartwarming to see him finally wag his tail. 

He sounds pretty smart, too.  Is it normal for a dog to learn his name so quickly?   I've always had my dogs from the time they were puppies so it wasn't an issue but that seems like some fast learning to me!

I'm the same way about fancy occasions.  Spending the evening surrounded by your furry family with a glass of wine and a good book sounds like heaven!  [emoji]128077[/emoji]
He is very smart, and he's very focused.  He watches my face when he's out with me, like he's anticipating instruction.  I think he will be a lot of fun to train.  I love Lily to pieces, and she is a complete snuggle-bug, but she's...I don't know how to express it...disorganized in her mind, maybe?  Wonderful to curl up for a nap with, but very frustrating to try to teach.  She's very people-oriented, but it's almost like she loves too much to pay attention to the words.  She's just too wiggly and excited.  She is precious, she adores me, and I love her for the dog she is, but I'm also looking forward to working with a dog who is both devoted and eager to learn.

I don't know if it's normal for a dog to learn a name this quickly.  I wondered how it would go, but he seems to be getting used to the new name.  I don't know if that's because he's smart, or because his previous owners just never used the old names enough for him to learn them.  Maybe a bit of both.  

Our errands today were a trip to the drive-though pharmacy, a quick stop at Lowe's to drop off some old CFL bulbs, and a visit to one of our local pet food stores, to pick up some healthy chew, new scratchy boxes for the cats, some really tempting food for both dogs while I work the kibble out of their diets, and to pay for a harness that we didn't get charged for yesterday.  

I have records of Bandit's shots and last heartworm test, but as there was no indication that he had been on a preventative since then, we had him re-tested yesterday.  He was negative, thank goodness, but I suspect that whole experience made him a bit more reluctant to come out of the kennel.  The funny thing is, once he is out, he actually quite willing to go up to anyone.  We took him along today, and he seemed to love it.  he was fine in the car, eager to greet people who wanted to pet him, and pretty much won the hearts of everyone he met.  The kennel guarding is still an issue, but my feeling is that what I have here is a dog with a naturally good temperament - great raw material, if you will - who just got a bit spoiled early in life.