Excessive Vomiting Continues

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello dear friends, I'm still dealing with my male baby vomiting way too much. I recently started him on all sensitive stomach foods. He is currently eating Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach Dry and Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach Duck Wet food. The vomiting continues but he has only been on this food about 3 days now so I'm trying to give it a chance. If it continues for another week I will make a vet appt. My question is - are the prescription foods really any better then something you could find over the counter or make yourself? I just know when I take him to the vet she is going to try to put him on a prescription diet which is a small fortune. I will do it if I have to but really can't afford $2.00 for a can of cat food when he eats mainly wet. I'm open to any suggestions! We get 1 or 2 day reprieve from the vomiting and then it starts again, and then 1 or 2 days and vomit again. It's ongoing....

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How old is your cat?

It's too early to tell if the new sensitive tummy food is helping or not. Give it about 13 weeks or so. In the meantime, take your cat to the vet and have a full work up done, blood work and all. I'd take the cat in sooner than later. Ask the vet about possible gastrointestinal issues such as IBD. Also ask the vet about giving the cat an anti-vomiting medicine such as Cerenia.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Absolutely, I'm going to echo LTS3 LTS3 's advice, right down the line. You want to get him checked sooner rather than later, as anything going on will be better dealt with that way.

There are any number of really good articles about making your own cat food, and essential additives, such as taurine, are easily available via the internet, should you decide to go that way. You'd KNOW what was in the cat food, and I take a dim view of many of the prescription diets. Some of them contain things that we know are not good for cats.

Regardless, READ YOUR LABELS! Often, something labeled "duck," for instance, will also contain chicken, and if your cat is allergic to chicken, you're going to have issues. Chicken is a common allergy, and a REALLY common additive to other proteins WITHOUT obvious labeling.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is estimated to be around 2 years old. I had him to the vet back in January because at that time he was regurgitating his food. We've since gotten that under control by feeding smaller portions and elevating food dishes. She took an x-ray of the esophagus and all looked normal. This is definitely vomiting. It comes out of the blue and is projectile at times. Not pleasant. It hasn't slowed him down though. I've noticed that about the duck re: chicken. He has been on so many different foods over the past 4 months that right now I'm just trying to get him to stick with one particular diet. I will keep at it.... I'm just not convinced on these prescription foods that cost a fortune. If anyone has any experience with prescriptions foods that they feel actually worked for stomach issues please let me know. In addition, the last time I was at the vet she mentioned we could try a motility drug. Does anyone have any info on that?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe a novel non-poultry food would be helpful. Try rabbit or venison or even kangaroo. Some cats can't tolerate any form of poultry.

A gut motility drug helps food move along in the intestines due to lack of peristalsis, a condition called ileus Ileus - Gastrointestinal Disorders - Merck Manuals Professional Edition It won't hurt to ask the vet about ileus. There is medicine to treat ileus. I can't remember what it's called. One of my cats had ileus once for unknown reasons and had to take a liquid medicine for a couple of days.

Yoruichi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
this is a long shot but my cat one day started eating his food way too fast and then he started vomiting... the thing i did was help him eat slower.... i gave him his food in his plate but every 2 piece he ate i was holding the plate up until i was sure he digest it and then gave it back to him to eat another 2... kept going like that... forced him to take his time with the food.... try this you never know... and i really hope is the fact that your cat eats too fast that creates the problems

nado

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a 10 year old brother and sister who vomited every day. The previous owner said they had vomited frequently all their lives. He said he had taken them to the vet, and the vet recommended sensitive stomach dry food, but the owner couldn't afford the price of the food. I tried several sensitive stomach dry foods, including the one the vet recommended, and while some seemed to lessen the vomiting, nothing stopped it.

It wasn't until I completely stopped feeding them dry food and fed only canned, (nothing fancy,Friskies-different flavors) that they almost completely stopped vomiting. They will vomit once in awhile, but it seems that only happens if i'm late in feeding them and they are very hungry and eat too fast.

I think they just can't tolerate any kind of dry food.