Excessive Meowing

Lokismom004

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!! I’ve owned my cat for about a year almost 2 and he’s a year and 8 months old. I’ve been having issues with him just yelling and excessively meowing at random times of the day. It has gotten to the point where I have thought about rehoming him once or twice because, it was starting to disrupt my daily activities and my sleep schedule. He really is a sweet boy and very nice but all the screaming and unnecessary noise is very irritating..does anyone know how I can get him to stop doing this??

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's a big part of the problem right there! The little dude likely has one thing on the brain right now and he's going to go bananas as long as he's restrained from going out in search of a mate! As the proverb says, "Where no wood is, the fire goes out." Remove the fuel from the fire- in this case, this means getting him neutered- and this will hopefully reduce his excessive meowing.

Also, he could be bored. How often do you play with him and what toys do you use? Do you ever take him for walks outside? Another thing you could do is get him a cat buddy after he gets fixed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lokismom004

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's a big part of the problem right there! The little dude likely has one thing on the brain right now and he's going to go bananas as long as he's restrained from going out in search of a mate! As the proverb says, "Where no wood is, the fire goes out." Remove the fuel from the fire- in this case, this means getting him neutered- and this will hopefully reduce his excessive meowing.

Also, he could be bored. How often do you play with him and what toys do you use? Do you ever take him for walks outside? Another thing you could do is get him a cat buddy after he gets fixed.
He is a strictly indoor cat! & he has no access to outside due to the way my apartment is structured and me living on the 2nd floor. He’s currently on the waitlist for neutering so hopefully that will solve the meowing issues.

I spend a lot of time with him and he has plenty of toys around the apartment such as springs, toy mice, several balls, a cat puzzle, scratchers, strings & feathers, etc. I do not bring him outside because he just doesn’t like it, I bought him a leash and a harness when he was little and attempted to slowly introduce him to outside and the poor thing was miserable!! I just stopped bringing him to reduce his stress levels. I recently bought a new kitty that is fixed and they play and snuggle pretty frequently, I thought maybe getting him another cat friend would reduce the meowing but unfortunately it did not.

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is a strictly indoor cat! & he has no access to outside due to the way my apartment is structured and me living on the 2nd floor. He’s currently on the waitlist for neutering so hopefully that will solve the meowing issues.

I spend a lot of time with him and he has plenty of toys around the apartment such as springs, toy mice, several balls, a cat puzzle, scratchers, strings & feathers, etc. I do not bring him outside because he just doesn’t like it, I bought him a leash and a harness when he was little and attempted to slowly introduce him to outside and the poor thing was miserable!! I just stopped bringing him to reduce his stress levels. I recently bought a new kitty that is fixed and they play and snuggle pretty frequently, I thought maybe getting him another cat friend would reduce the meowing but unfortunately it did not.
I find it hard to believe that he truly wouldn't enjoy going for walks outside. Maybe it's the way he was introduced? You said that you live in an apartment. The hustle and bustle of the city is too much for many cats, but there is still in cats the longing to enjoy their natural habitat, which is calm nature. If you have the time, getting him used to traveling in his kennel in the car and going to wilderness locations for walks could be "just what the doctor ordered." This playlist from the YouTube channel Traveler's Garden has been my inspiration for ways I can give my cat a more fulfilling life:

Lokismom004

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I find it hard to believe that he truly wouldn't enjoy going for walks outside. Maybe it's the way he was introduced? You said that you live in an apartment. The hustle and bustle of the city is too much for many cats, but there is still in cats the longing to enjoy their natural habitat, which is calm nature. If you have the time, getting him used to traveling in his kennel in the car and going to wilderness locations for walks could be "just what the doctor ordered." This playlist from the YouTube channel Traveler's Garden has been my inspiration for ways I can give my cat a more fulfilling life:
I understand..but I haven’t lived in this apartment the entire time. I used to live in the dorms and when he was introduced it was at a quiet park on a warm day. Every cat is different and my cat doesn’t like being outdoors, I’m not sure where he came from prior to living with me but it’s his preference. My other cat loves the outside so it’s definitely just who he is and that’s completely okay

Lokismom004

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I understand..but I haven’t lived in this apartment the entire time. I used to live in the dorms and when he was introduced it was at a quiet park on a warm day. Every cat is different and my cat doesn’t like being outdoors, I’m not sure where he came from prior to living with me but it’s his preference. My other cat loves the outside so it’s definitely just who he is and that’s completely okay
AND..where I live now he would have 0 access to my home if he were to go outside. My balcony is entirely too high for him to get onto and we have secured doors with passcodes. I live in a busy area and the last thing I want is for him to get hit by a car or ran over by college kids on their motorcycles.

JLC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since he’s not fixed he is meowing so much because he wants to MATE. It can be very stressful for a cat. Get him fixed… because another problem could arise where he starts spraying. You are recently new to your apartment so you do not, I repeat, do not, want him to start spraying. Get him fixed and he will be a whole new kitty! 😊