Excessive loud meowing for no apparent reason

jaylea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My male domestic short hair, Hetfield is about 10 months old. I've had him since he was 12 weeks. How I got him is a great long story I will share elsewhere.

He is mostly a sweetheart, lovable and cuddly. But lately he had started meowing/yowling for no apparent reason. We moved just recently, but the noise making started way before the move.

I have not been able to get him fixed yet, that will be happening very soon, he had to get his other shots first. Otherwise the vet says he is healthy. I know neutering will help, but what can I do in the meantime? I've tried

Ignoring: no reaction
Spraying his feet/bum with a water bottle: run to the other side of the apartment, meow more.
Time Out:happening right now. Being consistent, but he gets out of timeout (about 15 minutes), and starts up again.

He goes on regular walks outside, he's leash trained. We play right before bed until he is worn out, the he gets loving and is time to lay down. He always has dry food available, but doesn't like wet, so we stopped that. And of course fresh water. His box is clean. He's been on the same food since I got him, same litter.

Since we moved we have established a pattern, until he started meowing again.

Sorry so long, just anticipating all the questions. And I've read and researched a lot, nothing is close enough to my situation to adapt.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Honestly, I'd go with neutering asap!  I know you want other ideas, but at 10 months he's really starting to be a 'man cat' and there'll be a lot worse than meowing!

Spraying with water bottles really doesn't work.  It's a form of punishment and can really rebound on you.

If you're absolutely sure there are no health issues, I think all you can work on is distraction whenever he starts the make a noise.

Has he never liked wet food?

Last edited:

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As @Mani has said, Neutering ASAP.  This is 99% likely to be the issue and nothing you can do will fix this other than neutering and doing things like spraying  him will result in alienating him with little effect on the meowing, but by the time he is neutered after all that spraying you may discover that he doesn't like you any more and you have only succeeded in breaking your relationship with him.

Earplugs and a trip to the vet. :-)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jaylea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's scheduled for Thursday. I sure hope he still is my little man after this. I have to drive an hour and a half to get there and the same back.

jaylea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, and no, he has really never liked wet food. He's pretty picky.

The water bottle was suggested on a lot of sites. It works for small stuff, like "get off the dresser."

jaylea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
(Sorry for the triple post, I'm usually pretty good at not doing this...)

Any wet food. Minced, pate, cubed, in gravy... All different proteins. It's crazy. It sits for about an hour, I pick it up, put it in the fridge, and put it out again. And he doesn't touch it.

He still loves on me, and loves going for his walks, so no adverse effects yet. Knock on wood.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Don't worry.. you'll get your little man back.. and you'll all be a lot happier

Let us know how it goes!

jaylea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK thank you for the reassurance.

So now I have another related question. The place we're going in a hour and half away, we have a large hard kennel to take him there in. I know he's not supposed to have food after midnight and water after 6. To get him comfy I his crate I generally give him treats and lots of positive reinforcement. How can I get him in if I can't feed him?

Also, what should I expect while he's recovering? I have had cats in past, but it was so long ago, I don't remember.

Last edited:

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My favorite way to get a cat in a carrier if they dont want to go is what I call the "bunny drop" although there is no dropping involved.  Set the carrier on its end so the opening is facing up, then gently scruff him and support his rear by holding his rear legs and tail together with the other hand.  Let his rea enter the carrier and then his weight will take him all the way up to his front paws and then he's 90% in, and with the hand that was holding the rear legs, use this hand to keep his front paws from grabbing the carrier opening.  The he slides to the bottom and you close the door.

Or do the burrito, where you wrap him in a towel and put him in that way.

Also, vets don't generally discuss this but many induce cats and dogs to vomit before surgery due to the number of owners who feed the animal prior but won't admit it.  You could always fess up in advane and tell them he may have some treats and will they need to induce vomiting?

Did they really tell you know water after 6, but you can still feed him up till midnight?  I've never heard of water being removed that early.....

Recovery should be easy.  They may send him home with an E collar but many owners remove this so long as he doesn't bother the incision but with males its so small as to be essentially invisible.  He may need a few hours to get over the anesthesia but beyond that it should be fine.

Last edited:

jaylea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the help.

So my Hett is doing well, he was neutered last week. Recovery is going well. He is still mellowing a little still, but not as loudly or violently.

Is it normal for the area to be dark? Almost purple?

Sorry I didn't post sooner, I just moved into my new place and wasn't able to get online.

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm going to wager that it can be normal/common for the area to display a bruised color (hey, it IS a pretty large bruise). My guy was like that, but in a few days it was gone. 

Since he was 10 months old, it will take a bit of time for the hormones to wash out of his system. In nearly all cases it will result in a calmer, sweeter guy with the same basic personality. Doesn't mean he won't be a talker if that is his personality, but I think most would say that the vocalizations that were getting on your nerves is derived from the "song of his people," I am tom cat, hear my call! LOL

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you all for the help.

So my Hett is doing well, he was neutered last week. Recovery is going well. He is still mellowing a little still, but not as loudly or violently.

Is it normal for the area to be dark? Almost purple?

Sorry I didn't post sooner, I just moved into my new place and wasn't able to get online.
Can you take a photo?

jaylea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kinda feels strange getting this picture, but it's for his health.=)

They did internal dissolving stitches so he wouldn't have to go back.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They did internal dissolving stitches so he wouldn't have to go back.
What are we supposed to see?   I don't see anything odd.  This is a male?  I would worry if there was redness, swelling, discharge, pus, bleeding, licking the incision site, or signs of pain.

jaylea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK. Nothing odd is a good sign. Thank you.