Excessive licking

kaytekat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awkward question- I have a 6 month old foster who excessively licks (almost like nursing) his genitals. He was removed from his feral mother and bottle fed at around 3 weeks old. He would also “nurse” on his brother.
His former adoptive family (he was returned) took him to the vet with this concern. No medical issues were found.

I definitely feel this is related to being taken from him mother early and represents some sort of self soothing, but what can be done to control/end this behavior?

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could be stress related. I hate to ask this - does it smell? It could be a secretion issue.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK... Let's get a little out there. This is almost certainly from being weaned too early, and he's going for the nearest thing to a nipple that he can find. SO...Amazon (and a number of other places) carry stud pants in all sizes. This will keep his mouth off of his genitals. However, I'd think about something like this:

1676963288436.png

At his age, he wouldn't need KMR, so you could probably get away with water in the bottles. But it would give him the nursing that he needs. It's more of a comfort thing.

Bit of a stretch there, but I'm thinking more of his overall health, both emotional and physical.