EWW Mouse!

maple syrup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG I just have to tell someone because if I tell my hubby he'll freak out!  Really hot night last night.  We usually leave our bedroom door closed, and our Kitten sleeps with my boys.  But it was SO hot and we live in a turn of the century house, that we had all the windows open upstairs with fans blowing air through.  Our 5.5 month old kitty decided to come up and play on our bed at about 4am.  He was jumping around and I assumed he was catching flies?!  I picked him up and put him downstairs and closed the door.

Yeah well, he wasn't chasing flies.... making the bed this morning I found a dead mouse!  EEEEEEWWWWWWWW!!!!   I guess he wanted to share his first kill with us....**Shudder** .. thanks Kipper!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3::lol3::lol3: He must have been extremely proud of himself! At least you know you've got a good mouser when you need one.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LOL! Wow, good/bad kitty hahaha!

I live in dread about this.  Our older one?  He could care less about anything crawling around the house, but the younger one?  She was a rescue and has her prey skills honed sharp.  Nothing gets by her - every tiny bug that comes into the house she manages to find and devour.  I can't believe all the flies she can catch (yay!).  If there is ever a mouse here (we have a nearly 100 year old house so, you never know what lurks beneath!) it stands NO chance :D

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

maple syrup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our guy catches ants and flies as well... and he eats them all !  This is the first mouse we've found... maybe he's munched previous prey?   He is usually pretty ravenous in the morning... but some days... well not so much.

We've known we have mice... just a perk of living in an old house.  So definitely happy about the hunter, but well no midnight snacks in bed please! LOL

maple syrup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well Mouse #2 bit it this morning.  I was actually cooking breakfast with Kipper begging to be fed at my feet.  All of a sudden he's all in a commotion, and I turn to find that the hunt is on.  Mouse dispatched in less than 15 seconds!  Holy Moly!  We have a little hole behind the stove where the gas line comes up.   Just behind where I was standing.  I bet Mr Mouse was heading to the hiding place when Kipper caught him unawares.  Had to let him play with his kill for a while in the hallway until he was tired enough to be interested in food again.  Thank goodness I'd decided today was the day for a sardine treat breakfast... extra added lure.  He's been sleeping ever since...

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my goodness!!  What a good hunter!!  But yeah; not in the bed again please! 
  My first cat as a child used to bring my Mom cricket legs in her bed.  
  We had an aprtment next to the boiler room and I think that meant we got more in our house!

When DH and I were first married and had the girls we lived in a single wide trailer.  One time we had a fly come in the front door and it didn't really make it to the wall across from the door before Noodles had it.  I forget if the house was 12 or 14 feet wide.  Not big!  

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat is probably keeping you healthy, doing all that hunting! If a mouse were to get into your food, you could get sick. Just another example of the symbiotic relationship between cats and humans.

maple syrup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Totally Callista.  Knowing that we have mice, everything that is in a mouse accessible place is in bins, bottles, jars or cans.  However he will definitely keep their activity to a minimum! Our basement suite tenant wants to borrow him now...LOL... maybe a good idea!

ck2d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could be worse. I have a cat that ignores mice, but brings in live snakes.

jazzd1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could be worse. I have a cat that ignores mice, but brings in live snakes.
I hope our gabby don't ever start doing that. .NOTHING is safe in our yard.. She'll bring dead stuff on our porch all the time..She'll kill mouses, rabbits, baby squirrels and everything..I hope she don't add snakes to her menu..That's the last thing we want..

maple syrup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I worry about Squirrels.. our squirrels are big!  I am sure that would be a considerable tussle to kill one

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We have three young indoor/outdoor cats and live in a semi-foresty kind of area.  We've had birds, rodents, lizards, snakes and squirrels brought in, alive and dead.  They even managed to get a large live stellar jay in the cat door--I came home to find it flying around the entryway in a panic trying to get out, leaving bird poop on the walls and floors.....

I have never found one of their kills in my bed, though!  They usually leave them out in the front entryway where I almost step on them when I come in the door.  

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
 Our basement suite tenant wants to borrow him now...LOL... maybe a good idea!
Our friends keep asking if we will rent out our cats to them for hunting.  LOL  

And the beat goes on--I came in the front door after work yesterday to find feathers everywhere and a dead little bird of some kind on the carpet.   

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
 Our basement suite tenant wants to borrow him now...LOL... maybe a good idea!
Our friends keep asking if we will rent out our cats to them for hunting.  LOL  
It just might work. Our old school building had mice, and my old boss would bring her cat in for an overnight stay once in a while. I was usually the first one in in the morning and would find headless mice lined up at the back door when I entered and a cat waiting for praise. :lol3:

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I was younger we let our neighbor keep our cat Fluffy in her horse barn for a night because she had shrews getting into stuff.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
It just might work. Our old school building had mice, and my old boss would bring her cat in for an overnight stay once in a while. I was usually the first one in in the morning and would find headless mice lined up at the back door when I entered and a cat waiting for praise.
How funny!  Maybe I'll charge my friends for cat rental by the body count....   LOL

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call it a bounty on mice.
There is a Terry Pratchett book where the rat catchers are paid so much per tail. They cheated by using colored string.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
Call it a bounty on mice.
There is a Terry Pratchett book where the rat catchers are paid so much per tail. They cheated by using colored string.
I'd be rich without even having to cheat!  With three hunting cats, I have collected more tails, heads, and parts in between than I care to think about.  

aapelca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LOL.  That is to funny.  Personally if that was me who found the mouse I would have totally flipped and had a holy cow.  I can't STAND mice or rats.  Terrified of them.  However your kitten probably left it there with you, because it was extremely proud of it's catch and kill.  He wanted you to see what a good kitty he is and how good of a hunter he is.  My cat Missy, who passed away, bless her heart, use to catch mice, lizards, anything and always leave it laying at our front door, so the first thing we saw when we opened the door was her kill.  Yup cats are funny.  But now you have someone to do the dirty work for you on getting rid of those pesty rodents!