"Evil" Orange female Tabby

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Taurine is supplied by meat proteins also. :) However, in commercial foods it is cooked out, and has to be added in, regardless of whether it is fish or chicken, beef or so on.

Fish, especially tuna, can contain heavy metals which are not good for cats. Also fish is high in histamines, causing allergic reactions. This could come out in strange ways, even such as the behavior described here. Feeding a cat a diet high in fish is also linked to hyperthyroid disease.

I mentioned diet, because many cats have intolerance to some of the additives in certain cat foods. Especially the things I listed above. I feel that in any cat with unexplained health/behavior issues, diet should be examined, picked apart even, ingredient by ingredient, and changes made to eliminate as many potential problem causes as possible.

A cat sensitive to things like sodium nitrites, sodium nitrates, dyes, and other artificial things, histamines or mercury in fish, and so on, may act "crazy" simply because the things in the food make her feel 'crazy'. She doesn't know it's the food, she doesn't even know she feels "crazy". But those things are harmful, and some cats just can't tolerate them. Changing her diet to something more healthy may go a long way toward helping her feel and act better.

:vibes::vibes::vibes: Scrappy.

Last edited:

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's your own perogative... It is your cat.  You know what is best for her.  Just consult with your vet.  I feel there is truth to everything but also a lot of untruth as far as diet goes.  Just like with people... One day, eggs are bad and they'll kill you.... Next day, nope they are a great source of protein and you need them.  It's all in moderation, I feel.  But, if you do choose to change Scrappy to a new diet, do so slowly and firmly.  Cats systems get upset if you go back and forth. 

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
 @ WhollyCat  She normally bites and hisses after about 20 or less min of petting . I've also tried playing with her using treats Ie: moving them on the floor while they're in my hand .. she actually played pretty nicely for about 5 mins and started pawing at me and then all of a sudden HISSS with all of her teeth showing I told her "we don't hiss" in stern voice while looking at her and then just dropped the little treat and left the room so she could eat it . 
Kitties have their limit to what petting, etc. they will tolerate. You have to take your cue from her--pawing seems to be one of the first signs that she's had enough, so I would stop any petting right away. Watch her body language and in time you'll more easily spot her triggers so you can stop petting before she gets agitated. Also, please don't talk to her in a stern voice; she's just being herself and that is only going to turn her off to you (or people in general) even more.
Always use a kind, soothing voice in all interactions with her. She may never be a kitty that likes to be petted much, but you can pet her for short periods until she gives you her "I've had enough" signs.

If you hold her on her back like a baby, some kitties really do NOT like this because it puts them in a position of vulnerability. You didn't mention this, so I'm just tossing it out there.

Have you tried using something like Da Bird to engage her in interactive play without touching her (letting her "catch" it a few times so she doesn't become frustrated)? That darn toy can work wonders.
I'm not saying that it will make her accept more petting, but it will give you more play time together that is fun for her and you.

Sorry if I've repeated what anyone else has said--I didn't have time to read through all the posts.

Last edited:

squ33k3r

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also have an Evil Female Orange Tabby Kat.

Her name is Cali, short for California.

She behaves like a male kitty goes crazy with smells of other kitties.

Cali is a dominant female.

Same behaviors as your kitty

Cali doesn't like the following:

*any other animal smells in the house, on the outside of the house, or on the people in the house

*Cali has fast changes in her personality, friendly one minute then scratching and biting the next

Vet has to change his smock and wash his hands and arms before approaching Cali in the office

If there are any animals on the outside of Cali's house we will hear about it, and she will take her anger

out on the other kitties

Our house has to be sectioned off to protect the other kitties from her

She was a sweet lil' baby girl kitty, but as she grew up, she became more persnickity, mean,

nasty, especially when she realized what the smells of other kitties were.

She starts crying loudly, hissing and growling when she smells other animals, outside or inside of the house

I have to pick her up and hold her like I would a shot gun and keep her away from my face, otherwise I would

be all scarred

After I picked her up she has to be placed in solitary confinement for approx 20-30 minutes in order to calm down and

come back to reality

Then she is a sweetie all over again.

I just figured out all about Cali's personality after watching her

Cali prefers men, she doesn't scratch or bite them as often as she does the women in the house

Cali has to be where the other kitties are

If Tynee Kat, a little Torte, is sitting Tynee's cardboard box, then Cali also wants to sit in that box and kicks her out

If Riley sits in his basket on top of the TV armoire, then Cali also has to sit in it and fights to kick Riley kitty out of the basket

Cali still runs to greet me everyday after work, and does have a very sweet side to her, but she is unpredictable in her behaviors

Cali needs to have a single male only owner

squ33k3r

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Heya,

I have a very similar problem with my Female Orange Tabby Kitty.

Lets share ideas, mine is only 4 years old.

Do you remember if it started before or after she was spayed?

It seems as if a certain percentage of the orange female tabby's have this

personality problem.

She will whine, hiss and bite if she smells any other animal smells on me or my wife.

She doesn't like the other kitties in the house, yet they were there before her.

All my kitties are afraid of her and are shut behind a locked door on the other side of the house.

If she gets into that room, she starts that smelling thing she does by opening her mouth, then I can see

i nher eyes that she isn't her usual self. Her eyes are dialated, shes whining, and growling and hissing at me.

I have to pick her up and hold her like I would a rifle, out in front of me so I don't get attacked.

Put her in an isolation area, such as my office for about an hour until she calms down. It takes about

an hour to get her back to normal.

So I think a certain percent of the orange female tabbys are a tad bit confused about their gender behavior.;

Mine acts like a male kitty, growling and hissing at the kitties in the neighborhood outside the window. None of my other

kitties do that, they just look and watch the other kitties on the outside.

She cannot go outside because the smells drive her nuts and she hisses, growls and bits because of the smells.

I'm contacting my vet to see if getting her some kitty prozac, or maybe some estrogen will make her nicer.

I think that she was blasted with too much testosterone in utero, which is why she thinks that she is a male kitty.