Everyone screams Calico

Katelyn K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hiya again. I’ve recently posted about the stray semi-feral kitten in my back yard. I’ve named them Taffy as of now. I say them cause I’m still unsure of gender.

Everyone I show their picture to instantly says they’re a Calico, but me and my dad are a bit more skeptical as to what they are. Any suggestions would be helpful.

For reference if it helps: Mama cat is a full black cat, father cat unknown.
Sorry there’s not too many pictures.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katelyn K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep, dilute calico. Almost certainly female. The dad was most likely cream/buff colored (definitely some form of red, probably dilute)

Her eyes look really cool---is it crusty around them or does she really have dark gray rims?
I think it’s like the stuff that comes out of eyes or something. Haven’t gotten a chance to clean it yet, I’d rather not force it. And thanks for letting me know!

Katelyn K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would consider her to be a dilute calico domestic shorthair. Rather than orange, black and white, she is cream, grey and white. My avatar Is my dilute calico girl so I am a bit partial to them but your kitten is so adorable.

And most all calicos are female.
Thanks for telling me! It sounds way more plausible like than than just ‘calico’ everyone’s been calling her.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Since she is a stray feral, so young and on the thin side you do want to get her in to a vet fairly quickly for a check. Usually these kittens and cats have worms and fleas they need to be treated for. With young Ones like yours these can dangerously sap their strength.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a dilute calico (dsh), they are all girls, I have heard of sterile male tortieshell cats but not calico. She is a beauty💕

Katelyn K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since she is a stray feral, so young and on the thin side you do want to get her in to a vet fairly quickly for a check. Usually these kittens and cats have worms and fleas they need to be treated for. With young Ones like yours these can dangerously sap their strength.
I’m gonna plan to do that after a while, she’s been eating well and even seems to be a bit on the chubby side now. I’ve checked her over, no visible fleas or worms. I’m trying to wait a bit because Taffy is so young, still not ready to be away from her momma for long.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Intestinal worms can occasionally be visible in a cats poop but most of the time a vet can only see them with a microscope

AnSDRfanhere

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
DSH blue calico cat. They're quite common, just as much as the black calico.