Ever Surprise Yourself?....Odd little Story.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After dinner yesterday, my niece got the hiccups, and they were pretty intense. Me, my niece and her Dad were just chatting when I just stopped and said...here try eating a couple olives...it might help.
You see...In my brain, I knew that acidic foods can help trigger the esophageal sphincter to close shut and help with post eating reflux. I also "know", just from my own personal experience, that eating and not burping properly (my burps get "stuck" sometimes) can trigger hiccups. The esophagus passes thru the diaphragm to the stomach, which is the muscle that causes the hiccups. And I thought that perhaps eating something acidic would trigger some sort of neurological response. So, that little train of thought just popped into my head and I told her to eat some.
Well....wouldn't you know it, her hiccups stopped. Both her and her Dad just looked at me and were "Did you know that would work?" I said, "Not really but..." then I explained my little hypothesis. They were both just kinda perplexed.
Anyway, I got up a few minutes later to help in the kitchen and I guess they were still so confused as to how I "knew" that olives would help with hiccups and wanted to see if it was just a coincidence. And to be clear...I didn't know...I just thought of it on a whim.
So my niece come running into the kitchen several minutes later, and she found that yes indeed, little acidic foods like olives and pickles can stop hiccups! And shows me on her phone the medical article she found.
Well....yay me. She's so sweet...She was like "Ma Tante's a genius!" (Ma Tante is French for my Aunt)
So obviously, I didn't just come up with a new cure for hiccups, but it was definitely not one I've ever thought of before or consciously knew about or I would have done it myself when I've had them. Maybe most of you on here already knew that olives and pickles can stop hiccups, an old wives tale of such...Maybe that's why it almost tradition that pickle trays are served at large dinners...and we just don't know the origin as to why. IDK. But I pleasantly surprised myself with the thought process that turned out to be right.
In general, I know a lot of useless information and am pretty good at trivia. I've often surprised myself knowing something out of the blue...

Anyway,
Have you ever surprised yourself with an idea or thought that you didn't know you knew until you said it out loud, or even a physical feat that you really didn't know would work but said...Just give it go.

Last edited:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good one! I detest the hiccups! :clap:

The only thing I can remember doing that comes remotely close is when a female inmate in the jail complained that the shampoo was drying out her hair. She asked me if I had any conditioner, and I didn't. I asked her if she had any mayonnaise, and she actually had a little pack of Duke's in her pocket. After that, I was known as a genius, though I am pretty sure I read it or heard it somewhere before. If you don't have conditioner, mayonnaise will work as a stand in.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I thought this was going to be where I could share my surprise chalk delivery story. :lol: :crazy:

I seem to frequently surprise my husband with being right about stuff but I don’t have any special stories about surprising myself. Although I did call out that bestie’s DH’s supervisor who was giving him trouble must be the owner’s daughter. Turned out she was. But that’s not really shocking when someone is told “I can’t promote you; you produce 80% of the work from this shop!”