Ever give your cat a bath?

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 That is so funny! Thanks for the LOL today!! 

I will leave the shower door open a little, because Angel will sometimes peek in with hi paws up on the side of the tub,

like, "Hey, whacha do'n in there mom?"  One day I'm gonna put my camera on the shelf just outside of the shower in an attempt to get a picture of him doing that.

kittydad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I normally dont bath Shadoe, but if it is warrented i will. We just found her after 24hrs outside, so she is gonna get a bath soon to get rid of any fleas she may have picked up.

She might not like it, but if it helps to keep her healthy and our poochie too, then so be it.

Thinking i am gonna be sweating in a sweater though to protect me.

ilovmykitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i had. igot scars to prove it. but how can i avoid getting scrached during bath time?

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A good place to start is clip your cat's claws to minimize possible damage to you and put a towel in the sink/tub for your cat to grab.

There are many videos on youtube of people bathing cats... check them out.

1gothickitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Jynxx loves taking a bath and I have bathed him since he was a kitten. He is a very clean kitty and the only thing he tolerates being on his fur is catnip LOL.  He also will let me brush his teeth.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We gave Casper a "shower" once.  He was amazingly wonderful about it.  

We used our separate stall shower, which has a hand held nozzle, so we were able to bring it down to his height.  Put a towel on the floor of the shower so he wouldn't slip around too much (but left the area by the drain open).  I believe we used a very plain soap like Ivory for him if I'm not mistaken.  Did a LOT of rinsing.  Towel dried him very well and then did a blow dry until he got antsy and wanted to leave but, he was mostly dry at that point (he's a DSH).

I don't remember him complaining at all.  He's a very tolerant sort.  I somehow suspect it wouldn't go quite as well with our other cat, Coco, a DLH, who is very timid thus far.  I have a feeling she would totally freak out.  Maybe not.  We're not about to try anytime soon; it took us a year before we thought Casper needed a bath.  

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Angel still went outside, I used to give him baths about once a month. (he liked to roll around in the dirt, or sand like a dog!)  I have shower doors, so can just close them & use the hand held shower head. I just get everything ready to go, to move a quickly as possible. I use the Oatmeal & Aloe shampoo & conditioner from 1-800petmeds (great for itchy skin).

I make sure they are open, so I don't miss a beat. I also make sure I have the towels hanging over the top, so after I get as much water off of him as I can, I wrap him up & step out.

I dry him off as much as I can w/ him in my lap, w/ that towel & another on hand. I try to be quick, because he is ready to be done with it! I've gotten it down to where I can shampoo him

(sometimes it was twice, if he had rolled in the dirt), & condition him, make sure he is rinsed well, & towel dried in about 15 minutes! I would never try to blow dry him!! He would freak out!!

Now that he has been indoor only sense August, I think he's only had one bath.

Here's a picture after one of his baths. (You can tell he's mad. LOL! Just look at that face!) "Stupid mommy, giving me a bath!"

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bandit does not like baths, and the last time I had to bathe him was when he somehow had diahrrhea and got it all over his fur, literally..... I still have scars from it.

Smokie on the other hand seems to love baths! He purrs and meows, his previous owners told me they bathed him monthly from the time he was a baby........ so he gets bathed every 6 weeks or so mostly because I love the soft & fluffniess and the good smell that is Oatmeal and Shea Butter kitten wash :)

littlemelissa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bathe may cat with warm water and cat shampoo because she starts to smell after a while :p she doesn't throw fits at all when I bathe her She just sits there while I rub the soap on her fur :) she does meow very now and then :p but she seems to be okay with it :) I've bathed her since I got her at 3 or 4 weeks because she had flees :)

kittymania199

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I bath my cat once a month, and to be fair he doesn't mind that much, you know I do get the odd "get me out of here" meow, but he doesn't scratch, hiss, or anything :). He is like my son, so I do bath him :3

le chat fou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had to bathe my older cat Sephie only once (so far) two days ago because of a potty accident. She hates to be touched and petted while dry... so we worked her in slowly while my husband held her from the scruff to stop her from running away. She meowed like we were cutting her arm off or something (and yes I was being SUPER gentle). We ended just bathing her half way because it got a little too hectic. We have never had to bathe Mylo (our younger one) but  whenever he finds himself in the bathroom when someone is showering, he'll stand on the edge of the tub and try to bat at the water. Maybe he'll enjoy it if he ever actually has the need for one in the future :)

archiecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
BEST WAY TO BATH OUR CATS! After a lifetime of struggle, using pillowcases, towels, and long sleeves we FINALLY found the best way. We put on our bathing suit, fill up the tub with warm water, and then after the tub has about 5 inches of comfortable water in it, we get in the tub WITH our cats, (one at a time) and then use a large plastic container to slowly wet the cat, avoiding her head and then soap her up, and with the help of another rinse with clear warm water. As we are both in the tub together she seems to behave as if we are both trapped in the worse place TOGETHER and there is no clawing or scratching at all. She quiets down as we are not trying to hold her down or prevent her from escaping as the shower door keeps her in the tub. All three of our girls tolerate this method and actually seem to enjoy being free to move around the tub throughout  the process. Hope this works for you! 

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are 12 and 5 years old and have never had a bath. They have never smelled, but if I gave Casper, a white cat, a bath every time he rolled in the dirt it would have to be every day! He comes in completely black sometimes, I do take a damp cloth and wipe him down. Somehow he is white again by the next morning, I bet my chairs are black now!

art4life

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Heavens no...kitties 'hate' being submerged in water! I will occasionally...whenever my 13 year old long-haired girl kitty feels dirty, wipe her with the dry-est wet cloth I can manage. As older cats tend not to groom as efficiently as when they were young, they may need some assistance, not to say they actually like it tho. I just ring out a wet cloth as much as I can the gently wipe down her fur. I think she actually enjoys being cleaner..just not the process. d

art4life

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your response is  hilarious! And oh how very true. I've had to take a dry-wet cloth to my 13 yr old girl kitty when she has gotten very dirty but only as a last resort! Tanks for the laugh! d

wt1964

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Only once...but too much fur stuck to my tongue.