Evacuation failure

charliana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are going to have fire drills at my house. Pebbles and bam bam just failed the fire evacuation miserably. Somebody burned brush and lost control of the fire. Rocky got into the cat carrier and sat in the car waiting to leave if the fire got to close while I watered down the yard and house. I could not actually leave since pebbles and bam bam hid when I got the cat carrier out!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
This is the thing that I worry about, where I won't be able to catch him, and then get him on the carrier...

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is probably no power on earth that will get most cats to not run and hide while an alarm is actively blaring. My three year old cat hid INSIDE the box spring for the first time in years recently when loud friends came over. In a real fire, its never going to be a good situation for a cat owner. I wouldn't even think of including a cat in a drill. In a real event, not sure what to tell you other than watch or listen for where your cat goes to hide.

All of that said, my wife triggered the smoke alarm so many times that the adult cats (when I recently had two, sniff) did not always run and hide is my recollection, so maybe some sort of training is theoretically possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charliana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They hide any time they see the carrier, but last time the pastures were burning I didnt have any problem getting them evacuated to my moms house. They can at least learn to not hide from the carrier. There were no alarms going, just me in a panic because I had seem the flames and black smoke over the trees and thought I was out of time.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a drunk drive his car into my house and when the vehicle started leaking gas I had leave immediately. First I had to get the carrier from the basement and just my rushing scared the cats. I got one cat into the carrier and couldn’t find the other before being forced out by the fire department. Lessons learned. Get pets in their carrier if you even suspect there may be a need to evacuate. Keep your carriers accessible and have one for each cat . If you can, calmly pick up the cats and stick them in a small room with no place to hide like the bathroom. Bring the carriers to them and load them.

I was fortunate, despite the gas leak vehicle or my house never burned but it left me shaken about leaving a cat behind.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, how scary. So glad everyone is safe.

This thread is making me realize that storing Ruby's carrier on the top shelf in a closet in the basement is not a great idea, and that I need to find a place for it upstairs.

I'm going to tag Jcatbird Jcatbird , as she has her cats trained to go into their carriers on command, so she might have some suggestions/tips.

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd definitely leave the carrier out indefinitely if your in a California-risk zone or something. Practice by throwing treats in there, or putting the food progressively further in. Thats a lot more a plan-for-able situation than Susan's type of sudden crisis.

We've used that brand of treats that is now being advertised on TV for a few years. They are a powerful lure for many cats and great training tool. Dunno if they are remotely healthy, but a powerful lure for most cats. I think they are called Temptations, and they really are much more an incentive than some other brands.

charliana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
20191103_180146.jpg

I thought they had the fire out. I dont know if this if this is a controlled burn to stop the other fire or still the first fire. I may be reloading the car. Just turned the hose back on. For awhile I thought I was seeing sunset behind the trees, then I saw the smoke again.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my! I recently had a fire scare here but not like that. I have evacuated before myself and now I encourage everyone to work on training the cats to actually hide inside their carriers any time they get scared. It has worked quite well for me so far.
From the time I get a kitty I want them to understand their carrier is a wonderful place to go. Carriers are not stored away but kept out to be kitty beds, safe sanctuary and the place where lots of good things happen. New toys show up there first and each cat has there own carrier or cage with a blanket or towel for snuggling.
I first started this for vet visits. You know kitties seem to know if an apppintment is scheduled and they hide. If they hide in the carrier, we’re one step ahead. At the vet office the kitties were very happy to go back in the carrier after the exam. Once back home, treats are given in the carrier. Sometimes the kitties are mad at me and stay there awhile. Seeing that this method worked well I took it further and just use the carriers as kitty houses. Some cats have cages too. The cats hang out there and I find it gives me great relief to have a better chance of locating and removing all cats during an emergency.

You will be in our thoughts and we’ll be sending good vibes your way. :vibes:Stay safe and keep the kitties confined in a bathroom or small area so you can get them until you have time to work on making carriers a happy place. Please post back to us.

charliana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The fire is mostly out with a few hot spots the firemen are still watching. I just put the cat carrier in the middle of the living room where the cats like to hang out during the day. Eventually they will give up on hiding from it.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I've discovered that the best way to get the cats into their carriers is to lure them into the bathroom first where there are no beds to hide under or anything like that, and then get them into the carrier. That's my plan in case of evacuation--shake the treat box to get them in the bathroom first, shut them in there, and then get the carriers out.

I keep three carriers in a bedroom closet right next to that bathroom.

But I doubt they'd come running for treats if a fire alarm were blaring. I hope I never have to find out what would happen.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I do hope that you and your home are safe. Very upsetting and frightening situation. Living in CA, I have complete earthquake readiness updated all the time including, in fact mostly, for the animals. Carriers are easily accessible, but given the various experiences of my cats, I cannot guarantee that they would all enter a carrier easily. I do use the bathroom as a staging area for putting them in carriers and have found that works in some cases.It is a very good idea, and one that I did not ever try, to let the cats play in carriers and see them as refuges...they will play in any box you put on the floor, so why not the carriers?

My guess is that many of us with cats are in a similar situation with serious emergencies or evacuations. I have found in earthquake situations that the entire house shaking and rocking tends to make the cats less willing to come out from under the bed and get into a carrier.

For part of my life I worked in a profession where, if there had been a major "event", I would have immediately become part of civil defense for 72 hours, so I was not even going to get home. Remember to have someone designated, preferrably someone who can deal with animals, to try to assist if any of us were to be separated or not at home at the time of an emergency.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do hope that you and your home are safe. Very upsetting and frightening situation. Living in CA, I have complete earthquake readiness updated all the time including, in fact mostly, for the animals. Carriers are easily accessible, but given the various experiences of my cats, I cannot guarantee that they would all enter a carrier easily. I do use the bathroom as a staging area for putting them in carriers and have found that works in some cases.It is a very good idea, and one that I did not ever try, to let the cats play in carriers and see them as refuges...they will play in any box you put on the floor, so why not the carriers?

My guess is that many of us with cats are in a similar situation with serious emergencies or evacuations. I have found in earthquake situations that the entire house shaking and rocking tends to make the cats less willing to come out from under the bed and get into a carrier.

For part of my life I worked in a profession where, if there had been a major "event", I would have immediately become part of civil defense for 72 hours, so I was not even going to get home. Remember to have someone designated, preferrably someone who can deal with animals, to try to assist if any of us were to be separated or not at home at the time of an emergency.
Excellent to suggest a designated person to attend to your cats if you are not available! :clap2:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course, putting cats into a carrier is the best way to evacuate but, when it's a real emergency and you don't have time, don't worry so much about getting the cat in a carrier.

My first cat, "K.C.," never used a carrier at all. Whenever I had to take him out of the house I used a plain, old backpack like the kind you carry your school books in. I would open the backpack and K.C. would climb right in. I would zip it up, leaving just enough open for him to see and get some air.

The first time I took K.C. to the vet, I didn't have a carrier for him and the backpack was the best thing I had.
When I got to the vet I felt embarrassed for putting the cat in a backpack like that but the vet said, "If he likes it, okay."
Since he did, I just used a backpack. :)

There's two points here...

First, maybe you could find something that your cat likes better than a regular cat carrier. It could be a backpack like K.C. used or, maybe, just a plain, old cardboard box. (You know how cats like boxes! :D)

Second, when it's a REAL emergency like a fire, forget the carrier. Just scoop the cat up, put them in the car (or some place safe) and shut the door. Worry about getting out of harm's way first. Worry about the carrier when you have more time.

If it was a life or death emergency and I had to evacuate Casper right away, I would put him in the car and drive away but, if it was a really big emergency like a sudden fire and I couldn't pick Casper up, I would throw a blanket or a bed sheet over him, gather the corners up and tie them in a knot then sling him over my shoulder like Santa's toy sack and run like hell.

Better to be safely out of danger than to worry about a little ruffled fur. ;)

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course, putting cats into a carrier is the best way to evacuate but, when it's a real emergency and you don't have time, don't worry so much about getting the cat in a carrier.

My first cat, "K.C.," never used a carrier at all. Whenever I had to take him out of the house I used a plain, old backpack like the kind you carry your school books in. I would open the backpack and K.C. would climb right in. I would zip it up, leaving just enough open for him to see and get some air.

The first time I took K.C. to the vet, I didn't have a carrier for him and the backpack was the best thing I had.
When I got to the vet I felt embarrassed for putting the cat in a backpack like that but the vet said, "If he likes it, okay."
Since he did, I just used a backpack. :)

There's two points here...

First, maybe you could find something that your cat likes better than a regular cat carrier. It could be a backpack like K.C. used or, maybe, just a plain, old cardboard box. (You know how cats like boxes! :D)

Second, when it's a REAL emergency like a fire, forget the carrier. Just scoop the cat up, put them in the car (or some place safe) and shut the door. Worry about getting out of harm's way first. Worry about the carrier when you have more time.

If it was a life or death emergency and I had to evacuate Casper right away, I would put him in the car and drive away but, if it was a really big emergency like a sudden fire and I couldn't pick Casper up, I would throw a blanket or a bed sheet over him, gather the corners up and tie them in a knot then sling him over my shoulder like Santa's toy sack and run like hell.

Better to be safely out of danger than to worry about a little ruffled fur. ;)
I have to disagree with you @caspershuman re forgetting a carrier in a real emergency. I think it’s extremely risky to hold a cat in a very stressful, panicky situation, especially a cat who doesn’t like being restricted, and most of them don’t. Any cat can easily escape from any persons arms, and in a fire situation etc it’s extremely dangerous. What if a cat frees itself outside? It’s a risk that cat stays behind and I would never do this. In case of evacuation only a carrier (or even backpack as you say, if you can secure it) could work imo. Or maybe a box that can be closed if it’s easier to get. But never arms.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't mean to imply that one should always "forget" the carrier.

I was trying to say that one should weigh their options.

Yes, the carrier is the best way. I did say that.
Sometimes, however, a person might be forced to make quick decisions in an emergency.

If an emergency arises and you can't use "Plan-A" then go to "Plan-B" and do the best with what you've got.