Euthanize or let pass naturally?

elphie124

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I am in a tough spot.  There's a (presumably) feral cat that hangs out in my work parking lot.  A co-worker started feeding him daily a few months back and has since left the company.  As the resident cat lover, I took over this duty (personally, I never would have started it, but since he was already doing it I felt bad that the constant food source was about to end).  This cat has always looked rough and had a limp.  I can't get near him but he's always there waiting for his food.  I didn't see him over the weekend and today he looks shockingly worse than ever.  His eyes are crusted over, he looks pretty emaciated and he's not walking well at all.  I tried to contact some local cat rescue places but they're all overwhelmed and so I ended up calling the city animal shelter to come get him and end his suffering.  They sent an animal control officer out who proceeded to try to to grab him by the neck with this horrid pole with a hook/grabber on the end.  It was horrid!  The cat ended up getting away and now I don't know what to do.  Is it better to traumatize the poor cat again to bring him to peace more quickly, or just let him die on his own?  I am torn.  I know trapping him is an option also, but because he's clearly injured and in pain I am hesitant because every cat I have ever seen trapped completely spazzes out when it gets caught which I know will bring him more pain and suffering.  This is just awful and I have no one in my small office to commiserate with.  I am the only cat lover here and the only one who will do something.  What would you do?  Is there a more humane way that I'm not thinking off?  I wish there was a safe sedative I could put in his food before catching him but I'm not sure he's eating anymore (I did watch him drink quite a bit today which is unusual.  Usually he goes straight for the food).

Any advice or words of wisdom would be MUCH appreciated.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm at a bit of a loss, because while I do think that this poor cat will probably need to be euthanized (I'm never in favor of allowing an animal to suffer a long, drawn-out, miserable death), I don't have the experience to make suggestions.

I'm going to flag a couple of our feral experts here to see if they have any ideas.

Hey, guys, this lovely, caring person needs help NOW!  My heart is breaking for her and the feral, and I don't have any ideas for her!  I'm sorry to bug you, but I know ONE of you can either help her, or get her in touch with the right person here!

@Brian007

@Primula

@Norachan

@IndyJones  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elphie124

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!  I haven't seen him again today and I checked his food bowl and it's still full (he usually eats it all).  I don't know if he'll be back after the animal control incident.  :(  I have a trap and am just so torn over whether I should try to trap him tomorrow.  I know it's the humane thing to do but I don't know if I can do it!  I am not cut out for this. 

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried a humane trap?  If he is hungry it might work.  Put the stinkiest food you can find in it.  I like to use canned tuna, sardines, mackerel.  Then sit and wait.  You really don't want to leave him in the trap for any period of time.  You can then transport him immediately to the vet.

Thank you for trying to help.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ended up calling the city animal shelter to come get him and end his suffering.  They sent an animal control officer out who proceeded to try to to grab him by the neck with this horrid pole with a hook/grabber on the end.  It was horrid!  The cat ended up getting away and now I don't know what to do. 
This is the problem when people feed cats & do not get them fixed or in any other way care for them. Too bad your co-worker left you to deal with this.

Fortunately or unfortunately, this is how animal control grabs cats. It looks bad, but personally I see nothing wrong with it. Depending upon where one lives these guys are usually over-worked & stressed by too many animals to capture. In this case though the cat got away.

Where I live animal control - if it comes out for a cat, which is not always the case - has nowhere to house a cat & the animal would be euthanized.

Would animal control come out again? I think that's what I would try first. I would have no problem with euthanizing this cat who, as you describe, is in a horrible condition. He is sick & presumably unadoptable.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a humane trap?  If he is hungry it might work.  Put the stinkiest food you can find in it.  I like to use canned tuna, sardines, mackerel.  Then sit and wait.  You really don't want to leave him in the trap for any period of time.  You can then transport him immediately to the vet.
But what would the vet do? Except run up a huge amount of vet bills for this woman to take care of. Even if the cat were treated, who would home him? He can't go back to the streets.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  Sending vibes that you successfully trap the kitty - please have a thick towel, old drapes or blanket to immediately cover the trap so that the cat settles down.  If he meows after the trapped is covered, more than likely he is a stray and not feral - the ferals hunker down and get very quiet, hoping to not be noticed - they don't ask humans for help, they silently assess the environment for possible hazards and possible escapes (the original espionage agents).

It is up to you if you want to transport to the vet. They can use a tranquilizer on a stick to get him knocked out for an assessment and then tell you what the options are.  Or, as has been suggested, you can try relinquishing him to animal control where depending on the policy, he can be held up to 3 days with no care until they get around to euthanizing him. Sometimes your vet will give you a super good deal on a euth for a feral - it is good to call both agencies and get the information that you need to make your decision.

IF he doesn't return, please know that, for him,  you did more than anyone else on this planet and sometimes "Death comes as a friend".  If he DOES return, you can ask your vet (or a vet experienced with ferals or one of the cat rescue groups), if they will consider giving you antibiotics to put in his food dish and see if that helps his body recover - that is a last ditch effort, obviously, but it is better than nothing. You can also inquire about adding L-lysine and slippery elm, licorice root and/or marshmallow root to the food - again, last ditch efforts that need a consultation with a vet knowledgeable with herbs (my grandmothers were curanderas so I have a familial tradition of using herbs).

You did the right thing, in my book, by continuing to feed the cat. He might be a lost pet or for some other reason, the object of someone's prayers and you answered those prayers by seeing the need and stepping into action. I applaud you for that!

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely spare the poor mite of the hooked pole, grab, and tackle method.  That sounds horrendous.  But a "normal" cat trap wouldn't cause him undue distress, and, as @ShadowsRescue  suggests, lure him in with stinky fish.  Or, a bagful of Temptations/Dreamies treats.  Valerian root is highly pungent and cats go potty for it - it's a sedative.  If you put some in the trap, along with a whole packet of Temptations, he might slip peacefully away, given his sorry state of health.  Or, at the very least, he'd be riding a euphoric, treat-induced, high and so be stoned enough not to care.  I'd like it if someone treated me to sleep when the time comes...

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

But what would the vet do? Except run up a huge amount of vet bills for this woman to take care of. Even if the cat were treated, who would home him? He can't go back to the streets.
I meant so that she could transport him for euthanasia.  Not treatment unless it was something simple.  The cat could not go back to the streets so the OP would need to be responsible.  

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
And, if he is at death's door, he won't come back to tell you.  Cats go off and find a quiet spot to lay down.  

elphie124

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. It makes me feel less alone in this awful situation. Sorry for not quoting or answering individually but I'm away from the computer and trying to respond on my phone.If I see the cat tomorrow I will put the trap out and hope I can catch him for euthanasia in the least traumatic way possible. He seems to have quit eating so I'm unsure if he will be lured by food. We'll see. Animal control will come back if I call but that's last resort in my mind. I will update as I can.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would absolutely trap him vs putting his last time on earth in such a traumatic state, who only wants to feel better.

Chicken of the sea tuna in water, pouring the water all around, which carries the tuna smell much further than the actual tuna does.

It is from my experience that I say he is FELV positive and walking death at this point.

Antibiotics won't do any good without other supportive care.

I rescued an FELV positive cat Baby a few years ago, I have this thing in me that makes me want to do what I can to give some feeling better time in this world before leaving it.

No matter what they are sick from.

Baby was walking death, weighed 4 lbs, and a large framed cat too, dull rough fur, as sick as she could be, choking on mucus, just all bad and barely able to walk too.

A growth on her side, and infested with lice to boot.

Here is Baby on day 1

The second pic is after her first round of antibiotics.

Notice how much her inner lids were out? She was VERY sick.

Anyway don't want to get too much in to my story, but it ended up my building her her own little bedroom and kept her on constant clavamox for 6 rounds, so 50 days.

She got better and better, her health was starting to come out, new baby soft fur grew, and she got well, so my mission was accomplished, she felt safe and cared for, then a miracle happened after I had contacted a cat sanctuary about taking her, which they weren't equipped for, but that person contacted another who contacted a lady who only takes felv pos cats, so she has Baby to this day! 
The thing is, Baby turned out not to be feral after all, but impossible to know with your guy.

He is suffering terribly, and needs someone to help him by doing what he needs to stop his suffering.

Keep in mind, a feral is the very same as a tame cat is, with the added streak of fear to humans, simply due to lack of having the privelage to be owned and cared about with regular interactions is all.

They have the very same feelings as all cats have.

He needs your help, going off and starving himself waiting/hoping to die soon is no way to check out, very sad.

Thanks for caring :)

elphie124

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I'm sad to say that there's no update. I put the trap out yesterday but didn't see the cat at all (one of my co-workers says he spotted him under someone's vehicle early in the day but I never saw him). It's raining here today so no sighting yet again. After the animal control officer incident I'm wondering if he will even come back. I will keep trying to trap during the day and will update if I see him. Thanks again to everyone who took the time to offer advice and share your stories. You're all amazing and an inspiration!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely trap him and take him to the vet. Most vets don't charge much for this, especially if you explain the situation. Our last cat had gotten sick. Losing weight, mucus eyes and sneezing. The vet ran a blood panel and said it was just allergies, to give him Benedryl. He continued to go down, so I took him to a vet hospital in a neighboring town. They did a blood panel and said he was just dehydrated and to give him Sub-Q fluids and they wanted to see him in a month. The day before his next appointment, he collapsed. Small town, couldn't get a hold of anyone. My son and I tried to make him comfortable as he slowly died, screaming and crying the whole time. (sorry, I'm tearing up thinking about this) I cannot nor will not ever go through that again. Please catch him and have him put down. (If you can)

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They did a blood panel and said he was just dehydrated and to give him Sub-Q fluids and they wanted to see him in a month.
IMO, Sub-Q fluids are one of the biggest vet rip-offs. They prolong life for a while, but, eventually, the cat dies anyway.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO, Sub-Q fluids are one of the biggest vet rip-offs. They prolong life for a while, but, eventually, the cat dies anyway.
If they had just told me up front the prognosis, I would have had him put down immediately. Helplessly watching him was horrible.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they had just told me up front the prognosis, I would have had him put down immediately. Helplessly watching him was horrible.
Exactly. We've been through the same thing. Wasted a LOT of money on Sub-Q fluids. Would never go that route again. Lesson learned.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a few thoughts to add. Is there a Humane Society near you? If you trap the cat and bring it to them, they will examine it. If they can save it they will, if not they will euthanize it. They will not charge you for the service if you tell them that it is a stray or feral cat that you trapped. Some Humane Societies will even send people out to do the trapping. I would not contact animal control again.

Regarding Sub-Q fluid, I have saved a few cats lives administering it to them when they were ill and not able to eat on their own. One of my cats had kidney disease, and by giving him some Q fluids myself a few times a week, I was able to give him eight more good months. I cherished every single one of those. It is very easy to give these fluids and inexpensive when you purchase the fluid bags yourself. It takes a few minutes to do and it is not painful for the cat at all. So I would advise against people making generalizations that Sub-Q fluids are a waste of time or rip-off. I valued and cherished each and every single extra day I had with my beautiful cat Chablis.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a few thoughts to add. Is there a Humane Society near you? If you trap the cat and bring it to them, they will examine it. If they can save it they will, if not they will euthanize it. They will not charge you for the service if you tell them that it is a stray or feral cat that you trapped. Some Humane Societies will even send people out to do the trapping. I would not contact animal control again.

Regarding Sub-Q fluid, I have saved a few cats lives administering it to them when they were ill and not able to eat on their own. One of my cats had kidney disease, and by giving him some Q fluids myself a few times a week, I was able to give him eight more good months. I cherished every single one of those. It is very easy to give these fluids and inexpensive when you purchase the fluid bags yourself. It takes a few minutes to do and it is not painful for the cat at all. So I would advise against people making generalizations that Sub-Q fluids are a waste of time or rip-off. I valued and cherished each and every single extra day I had with my beautiful cat Chablis.
I gave it myself 3x's a week and it was inexpensive. Plus, I got a refund for the unused bags. I believe in them (I live in Arizona after all) and have seen sub-Q save many lives. So, I agree with you.